Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: British/Colonial Army Uniforms WWI Dunsterforce Books Suggestions?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Hi,

The title pretty much sums up the question.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for British/Colonial Army uniforms WWI Dunsterforce please?

Cheers

Offline Ewan

• Scientist

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: British/Colonial Army Uniforms WWI Dunsterforce Books Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 10:10:43 AM »
There's a few pics on Pinterest (just scroll past the b&w photos).
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 04:31:13 PM »
You might want to have a look at
https://www.caliverbooks.com/bookview.php?oemjdeckm277h0love5f24rm11&id=27232

I've got Mark's book but I wasn't sure if there would have been any idiosyncrasies with it being such a mixed force. They obviously used native forces, were any supplied with British/Australian/NZ kit and weapons(?), given their own uniforms(?) or weapons?

I've trawled the net for books on the Dunsterforce/Secret Army but only found general histories.....  ???

There's a few pics on Pinterest (just scroll past the b&w photos).

Thanks Cubs, I'll do a search ASAP.  8)

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 12:46:55 AM »
Some good photos in this book http://regimental-books.com.au/persian-expedition-the-australians-in-dunsterforce-1918-p-588.html/  There's at least one on ebay at the moment.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 08:01:38 AM »
Some good photos in this book http://regimental-books.com.au/persian-expedition-the-australians-in-dunsterforce-1918-p-588.html/  There's at least one on ebay at the moment.

I can't find an available edition for sale at Abe Books (  :'( )but it's certainly one that I will have to keep an eye out for.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 11:17:03 AM »
Check the Empress Jazz Age range as there are some troops types for both sides.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 11:22:33 AM »
Check the Empress Jazz Age range as there are some troops types for both sides.

Thanks.

I'm mainly looking for uniform guides as in colours and insignia. Also, there were Australian and New Zealand troops involved.

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 01:01:16 PM »
Atheling,

Have you purchased my book - The Miniature Adventures of Dunsterforce yet? See link below; available from Caliver Books...

https://www.caliverbooks.com/bookview.php?or98sapintdc9i1rau458i0a62&id=26890

I go over the units involved, and the following excerpt is from the book on uniforms...

Uniform: Because the officers and NCOs of Dunsterforce represented at least half a dozen different nationalities from the Empire, there was no specific uniform or headgear for the mission; the volunteers generally used their own equipment and uniforms. Likewise, a mix of Tropical and standard kit was used, because units joined from India, Persia, Mesopotamia, and Flanders. Although the weather ranged from freezing with extensive snow in Northern Persia at the start of the campaign to 85-degrees at Baku in August−September, the actions fought by Dunsterforce occurred during the warmer months, so tropical kit would fit best.

I would use tropical kit, with the proper flashes on helmets if you wish, to identify the different British units.

Regards,
Bob

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 02:03:56 PM »
Atheling,

Have you purchased my book - The Miniature Adventures of Dunsterforce yet? See link below; available from Caliver Books...

https://www.caliverbooks.com/bookview.php?or98sapintdc9i1rau458i0a62&id=26890

I go over the units involved, and the following excerpt is from the book on uniforms...

Uniform: Because the officers and NCOs of Dunsterforce represented at least half a dozen different nationalities from the Empire, there was no specific uniform or headgear for the mission; the volunteers generally used their own equipment and uniforms. Likewise, a mix of Tropical and standard kit was used, because units joined from India, Persia, Mesopotamia, and Flanders. Although the weather ranged from freezing with extensive snow in Northern Persia at the start of the campaign to 85-degrees at Baku in August−September, the actions fought by Dunsterforce occurred during the warmer months, so tropical kit would fit best.

I would use tropical kit, with the proper flashes on helmets if you wish, to identify the different British units.

Regards,
Bob

No. Not yet. I'm waiting until I've read the Mad Mullah & Operations in Darfur first as I do have that volume. I suppose the tropical uniform would be in use on the Horn of Africa too? I can probably refer to Mark Hargreaves brilliant Painting WWI The Middle Eastern Theatres Vol I for that?

Oh, I've got I've got both volumes.

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 11:47:13 AM »
FWIW, books well worth getting for the period for the uniforms of the British army overseas between the wars (title and author escapes me, am checking) and one of the Mike Chappell series on the British army (not Osprey) (again will check title properly)
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale