Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686668
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Switching from spray can to aerograph  (Read 469 times)

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
Switching from spray can to aerograph
« on: August 05, 2020, 08:04:58 AM »
For decades, I used spray cans for basecoat and varnish. This last years, the price of cans rised to ridiculous amount, for less paint in it. Used cheap aero on air cans in my youth, but air cans where empty before the the layer was dry. I had a double action aerograph and it was a pain to clean, like fourty minutes. And so I used those acrylic cans.

Due to the Covid quarantine, the cans sellers were closed and other solutions to be found. So I discovered ultra cheapo aerograph, trying it was not a great risk. Received the thing: a Badger at 15.-ChF (less than 15$), same than a spray can. The air screw was unfortunately too small for my compressor. When looking for adapters, I found another aero for 15.-. Ordered the adapter, an aero, some quick coupling to not have to use the screw. And test.

The Badger can do fine work with a paint flow "easily" adjustable while working. Need to be disassembled for the cleaning. 5 minutes of cleaning.
Need some special tool for cleaning: dental gum brush are top for this.

Then the other cheapo, my main work horse now. Small and utra light, I added a plastic tube with a bolt at the back for a better balance. Flow can be roughly adjusted, not while in action. The part on the paint pot can be clipped on the aero and changed very quickly. Cleaning time: one minute.

Spray cans are completly ditched now. I use vallejo primers with a small amount of retardant (flow improver) to avoid nozzle clogging.

It's the first time I really make a heavy use of those tools, and would take advice of more experienced user - or listen to other's experience.

Cheers

Picture: the "customized" plastic cheapo