Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 10:08:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697134
  • Total Topics: 118809
  • Online Today: 421
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Great War in Africa Project  (Read 20798 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Great War in Africa Project
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 11:54:55 PM »
Hi Ray,

I just want to take this time to say well done on your collection todate. Your painting craft is truly lovely and you have done these miniatures a real treat.

I'm afraid I'd to give up this area of interest for gaming, but still have my massive library to enjoy reading from time to time - My sailors have moved to the Western Front to fight (game) another day!

Looking forward to reading the tales from GEA in your next report.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »
Thanks Helen!

Hey, here is a question for everybody...

From what I understand in German East Africa, there were no all white units (or perhaps one... I'm still trying to figure this all out).

Given a unit of 10 men plus officer, would 8 Askari, 2 German NCO's and 1 German Officer be too wide off the mark as a representation of the forces that fought there?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
A war time company was supposed to be something like 160-200 men. Of these about 16-20 would be white NCOs and Officers (a higher proportion than in most colonial forces).

So you are looking at about 10% white troops in a force to be historical.

My proportion is slightly higher, somewhat similar to what you propose, as I have too many white troops and have to use them somehow. I have 10-man units with two white NCOs in each one, plus a couple of African NCOs too (though their stripes serve no game purpose, I'm just using up the figures I have). The officer I put in a separate command unit with bugler and standard bearer (for T&T).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:13:12 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »
I noticed somewhere else on the forum you were asking about German Cavalry to face the cavalry Brigade make for the Brits, Ray. If you are doing East Africa then you don't need to worry about anyone making Jerry cavalry, as they didn't really have any. Ruga-Ruga irregulars performed the scouting and screening duties that traditionally would have fallen to colonial cavalry.

Much of East Africa is a disease death-trap for horses, and the Germans knew this. The British Empire forces used cavalry, but lost horses at a horrifying rate. As they were mostly cut off from the outside world, the Germans would not have been able to replace horses even if they had wanted to use them in any numbers.

German South West was different. Lots of cavalry there, probably the most important arm in that massive country of wide open spaces.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:21:27 PM by Plynkes »

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 12:52:33 PM »
I seem to have completely missed this  :?

Brilliant job Ray, looking forward to seeing more  :D :D

Keith  o_o

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 03:52:56 PM »
Thanks Plynkes.  I was hoping you'd chime in.   :)

I've been doing some research, but wanted to confirm the 10% figure.

As for the T&T rules, I understand a colonial supplement will be coming out and am closing in on buying the basic rules for myself.

Just to clear up a small point.  Is the command group (officer, bugler, flag carrier) in command of the unit or the force?  From your post I read for the unit... which makes for a lot of figures per unit...  :o

Or is the command unit included in the 10 man unit?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:59:56 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 04:05:45 PM »
He's the commander of the force, in his own little command group which is a separate unit. I tend to think of my units as squads, so have a single junior officer in command of the whole thing, and only NCOs in the fighting units themselves. It's a hang-over from playing scenarios from the Skirmish Campaigns books using Price of Glory, where you have x-amount of 10ish-man squads plus a small platoon command group of a Lieutenant with a couple of attendants/runners.

I've carried over this organisation into my T&T games, utilising the standard bearer and musician rules, as I already had the figures. This way the commander's little unit can give command advantages to the units under him without having to have a hero figure. Heroes in T&T can sometimes be a bit too powerful, and while that is fun for a Pulp game, you don't always want them to have centre stage in an historical fight (but this is all T&T stuff that you don't need to worry about right now).

Of course, if you are playing at a higher level, this command group could represent a colonel or higher if you like. Even though my force has been designed as platoon-sized, I tend not to worry too much about what level of combat I am representing, and get on with just having a good time.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.

I'll be looking closely at the T&T rules for this project... but now... back to painting!

Cheers.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 12:10:12 AM »
Hi Ray,

Just to add my one dollars worth into the mix.

If you are looking at gaming early war then sure some German mounted elements for GEA. Around Kili there was a volunteer mounted unit made up of Europeans. If you are looking at Tanga and circa then sure go for a unit or two of all Europeans in the group. I'd look at further South being sailors in a unit. Loof actually commanded his sailors as part of a force in the field in the Southern part of GEA.

As casualties mounted and Von Lettow Vorbeck seeing the worst side of his Europeans he started to mix them in with his much loved askaris.

As Dylan has quite rightly pointed out a mix of two Europeans in the unit would be the way to go. Usually these units were commanded by an officer with a 2ic of a warrant officer. Smaller patrols commanded by two warrant officers. Warrant Officers were in the majority the staying power of the fighting unit with much experience. You still need the commissioned officers, and there were some very good officers, but Vorbeck usually placed a good warrant officer with a poor commission officer.

Mounted elements whilst in the main limited it's still nice to see some used where practical  based on historical and naturally made up scenarios.

Then you have the appearance of the armoured car which I'm sure you will use in your games. Areoplanes started to increase in numbers for the allies so please consider them also. Some time ago I pen the units of aircraft on this forum so you may want to look at searching for this an other subjects.

Helen

PS: Don't forget the Great War Forum:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 02:52:11 AM by Helen Bachaus »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 02:36:33 AM »
Wow,

Thanks Helen!  The more I learn the more interesting I find the subject!

Also found this forum, which has some interesting stuff:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewforum.php?f=73

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 02:41:59 PM »
Hi Ray
I am fairly sure there was some all European shutzen Companies,I think at Tanga.
Most of the German forces were Askaris and it looks like you have the mix ok there .
Ask Helen she will know.
Cheers

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 07:59:25 PM »
Thanks mate.

Ideally, I think I would like to have 4 Askari and 2 Schutztruppen units.

The Seebatalion will probably exit stage left as soon as I can put the force together.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 08:18:58 PM »
Ray, Schutztruppe units are the askari. It's a little confusing, as I understand that Schutz- with no umlaut means "protection", as in Schutztruppe (the colonies' defence forces), whereas Schütz- with the umlaut refers to a sharpshooter, hence the Schützenkompagnien (sp?) made up of white volunteers.

VonAkers is correct. Ten Schützen (sharpshooter) companies were formed at outbreak of hostilities from settler and seaman volunteers (from ships stuck in harbours due to the blockade). Some were simply used as garrison troops, but others were tough colonial types who made good soldiers and engaged in raiding and such, and a couple of the companies were mounted infantry.

Confusing, ain't it?

I think that's how it is. If I have misunderstood I'm sure some of our many German friends will be able to set us straight.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 08:23:22 PM by Plynkes »

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 01:04:02 AM »
In East Africa the Schutztruppe were African, but in South West Africa they were European.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »
Hi Guys
Ah The controversy..lol
I think N815E that there were some all European Units.
I beleive that Captain Von Prince ("Bwana Sakarni")led the German Counter attack at Tanga with the German 7th and 8th Schutzen Companies ( European)  and fell there after expelling the Lancs and Kashmir rifles from their footing in the town itself.
Cheers