Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:52:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What makes Cthulhu popular?  (Read 8136 times)

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
Re: What makes Cthulhu popular?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 10:40:30 PM »
I'd say the Mythos aren't really about the creatures, but rather about the horror of discovering that we don't know the "truth" about the world we live in, that humanity is insignificant, and that the cosmos doesn't really care about humans (and often that the main character doesn't know his real heritage).

That sums it up well. The creatures are not usually even described well by Lovecraft, representing the fact that they don't fit with a human minds concept of reality. That is why Cthulhu figures big in the imagery, even through he is not a big part of the mythos. He was described in recognisable  details (octopus head, dragon body, pair of atrophied wings)
 Lovecraft isn't to everyone's taste. I remember reading Mountains of Madness as a teenager and losing interest pretty quickly. I returned to it 20 years later and enjoyed it immensely, once I realised the nature of the mythos. Shadow over Innsmouth would be my recommendation for a starter.
Why is it popular? Reading the stories leaves a mark on your psyche. I'm an atheist, but of all of the worlds mythologies, this is strangely the most believable. Sweet dreams Azathoth.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:30:38 PM by Freelancer »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 10:52:58 PM »
This should answer all your questions - lol

Having watched this why not love the whole Cthulhu mythos... see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos

Whilst I do not wargame it I have roleplayed it and I am a huge fan of Lovecraft. Not to mention the music inspired by it. see: https://www.kerrang.com/features/thy-horror-cosmic-celebrating-metals-obsession-with-h-p-lovecraft/

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 01:22:18 AM »
and of course Hey there Cthulhu

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 02:35:16 AM »
That sums it up well. The creatures are not usually even described well by Lovecraft, representing the fact that they don't fit with a human minds concept of reality. That is why Cthulhu figures big in the imagery, even through he is not a big part of the mythos. He was described in recognisable  details (octopus head, dragon body, pair of atrophied wings).

This describes me looking through the 3rd edition hardback. Spending five minutes looking at a drawing of a mythos creature and still not understanding what it was I was supposed to be perceiving. I knew I had to have that book :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2020, 05:28:59 AM »
Not to forget Cthulhu's great archnemesis:
http://www.hello-cthulhu.com/?date=2003-11-30

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2020, 10:27:13 PM »
Lengthy article here on why and how Lovecraft was so influential.  Also gives a shout out to one of the really good modern books, The Ballad of Black Tom.
https://www.vox.com/culture/21363945/hp-lovecraft-racism-examples-explained-what-is-lovecraftian-weird-fiction

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2020, 11:11:13 PM »
Good call Cat :)
Any of ST Joshi's books are worth  read too,and he covers critical analysis of other horror genres/ periods
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 11:37:59 PM »
I really do think that the genre is better suited for RPGs than tabletop games. You can dig into the issues better in an rpg as the monsters are really the least disturbing part of the stories.

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 04:05:30 AM »
I've used Deep Ones in a few games, and I have had Cthulhu appeared as a band of unsuspecting adventurers stormed a deep sea oil rig and found a band of cultists in the act of summoning Him (Rising from the ocean, sinking a ship and then going back down to R'Lyeh after all his edible cultists were blown up). But, yes, RPG style games are a better format for this genre.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 04:10:48 AM »
After reading the article Cat posted I think I need to rethink my fondness for Cold Onr Hybrids.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 04:35:26 PM »
I have been reading my way through Corporate Cthulu: Lovecraftian Tales of Bureaucratic Nightmare. It is a series of short stories, which can be everything from cheeky to attempting horror or discomfort. Enjoyable though, and certainly more so after spending a couple decades working for the government, and doing the white collar corporate thing. Finding out that a big box store has abysmal human resources policies because they serve an evil being actually makes more sense than the truth of the world.  lol

14 by Peter Clines was a pretty good read too. Has a good element of uncovering a mystery and getting that "we don't understand anything" feeling.

Anything by Lovecraft is hard to read, but so is anything by Mary Shelley or any author of a time when language was different. Just one of those things you accept and trudge through because the story itself adds some nice nuggets to the imagination machine in your head.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »
If people haven't started watching Lovecraft Country they should. Wonderful inversion of the premise of the genre

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 11:50:02 PM »
If people haven't started watching Lovecraft Country they should. Wonderful inversion of the premise of the genre
The book is pretty good too :)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 04:47:06 PM »
Lovecraft's genius, well supported by August Derleth, Clark Aston Smith et al...

And then of course Sandy Petersen
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 05:16:01 PM by thebinmann »

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2020, 04:56:29 PM »
Best story, maybe Innsmouth or Dunwich but the short ones are good too - Music of Eric Zahn etc. Mountains is good as well, as is Dreams in the Witch House.

Have a listen here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jzmv

and if you can track it down
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015flq5