Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690600
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Why zombies are so popular  (Read 2908 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
Why zombies are so popular
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »
Even the Economist has gone zombie crazy. What's the world coming to?

Invasion of the living dead
Dec 17th 2009
From The Economist print edition
Even Jane Austen has been infected

“FROM a corner of the room, Mr Darcy watched Elizabeth and her sisters work their way outward, beheading zombie after zombie as they went.” That sentence springs from “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”, a surprise literary hit (it was a bestseller in America last April) that imagines Regency England being overrun by the undead. Elizabeth Bennet and her beau flit from dancing at balls to employing Asian martial arts, a sort of Fred Astaire and Ninja Rogers.

In a sense, the author of this pastiche, Seth Grahame-Smith, has turned Jane Austen into a zombie, reviving her text from the grave and turning it into a grisly version of the original. Hollywood is planning a film version next year, the latest in a series of movies to star the undead. The recently released “Zombieland”, one of the more successful versions, combined romance, the undead and comedy (a romzomcom, in the jargon), and garnered more than $85m in worldwide sales.

Zombies spring from the Caribbean superstition that sorcerers could use voodoo to revive the dead and turn them into slaves. In early film treatments, such as “I Walked With a Zombie” (which drew on the plot of “Jane Eyre”), zombies were eerily passive rather than the crazed flesh-eaters of today. The cannibalism really started with George Romero’s 1968 cult film, “Night of the Living Dead”.

Perhaps the zombie has achieved greater cultural resonance as the world has become more crowded. Filmic depictions often involve a small group of individuals under siege from the undead or fleeing a flesh-eating mob. Any resident of a big city will understand the feeling of being overwhelmed by the mass of humanity on a subway train or high street.

Modern zombies are usually created, not by voodoo, but by infection. During the cold war, when nuclear tensions were at their height, rampaging B-movie monsters were the result of accidental exposure to radiation; nowadays plague seems a greater threat to humanity. A single drop of blood from an infected patient turns humans mad with rage in “28 Days Later”. In the most recent film version of “I Am Legend” (a 1954 story by Richard Matheson), the zombie-like mutants are the result of an attempt to cure cancer.

With its pagan roots, the zombie may be the ideal monster for those who do not believe in life after death. Zombies are denied the comforts of the afterlife, and destroyed, not with anything as elaborate as a stake through the heart or a silver bullet, but with a whack on the head.

The undead also serve as a wonderfully utilitarian cultural symbol. In “Dawn of the Dead”, his 1978 follow-up, Mr Romero created a satire on consumerism, as survivors take refuge in a shopping mall, besieged by zombies driven by a “primitive memory” to gather there. A British film, “28 Weeks Later” (a sequel to “28 Days Later”), showed American troops gunning down infected natives roaming wild in London’s docklands, and was perceived as an allegory of the Iraq war.

But the zombie, with its staggering gait and glassy expression, can also be comic. In “Shaun of the Dead”, the hero, recovering from a hangover, easily mistakes the undead as Londoners stumbling through a drunken haze similar to his own. The hero of “Zombieland”, a nerdish teen, makes the mistake of giving the neighbourhood prom queen shelter for the night, only to see her awake as a slobbering monster. Having desperately defended himself with every household implement to hand, he finally beats her into submission with a toilet lid, before lapsing into double entendre: “The first time I let a girl into my life and she tries to eat me.”

From a film-maker’s point of view, the zombie has many advantages. It is not necessary to spend a fortune on special effects—a horde of extras spattered with fake blood can do the trick, and tends to look a lot more realistic than a computer-generated werewolf. Whereas vampires can be charismatic and sexy, zombies lack personality; audiences do not mind when they are killed since they are dead already. Indeed, “Zombieland” ends in a theme park, with Woody Harrelson mowing down row after row of attackers, like any teenager with a Nintendo.

One part intriguing allegory to nine parts gore, zombie films are hard to love. But as the reworking of Austen’s classic shows, their territory is expanding. Much more of this, and zombies will find they have bitten off more than they can chew.

http://www.economist.com/books/displayStory.cfm?story_id=15124982

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: Why zombies are so popular
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »
BARHAH!
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
I think the reason zombies have gotten so popular is due to the anger and frustration of having to share the world with what one would call "slow and stupid people," which, to most people are defined as "anyone not as smart as me." This of course, is assumed erroneously to include most people.  By definition, the average person is only smarter than half the population, but he usually overestimates his intelligence.  Blowing the heads off this symbolic chaff in a game would be a socially-accepted (though not necessarily ethically acceptible) fantasy of "going postal."

Personally, I don't consider true idiots as stupid.  Most people with low intelligence know it, and are fine at deferring to someone truly smarter; their saving grace is that they tend to be very, very sweet-natured, as helpful as they can be, and often see the world in ways that, when communicated, is shockingly funny in its assessment of silliness.  I don't have a problem sharing my world with these brave people. What I call "stupid" is the person who has an exaggerated opinion of his abilities and seeks to lead even those who have better minds... anyone with automatic anti-intellectualism or unmeritted intellectual snobbishness would qualify.  I have a problem sharing my world with these two types of twits, whose sole purpose is to thwart.

Anyway, had to say it. 

On a more lead adventures topic, I'm looking for zombies with character... ones with actual stories about who they were or how they died.  To this end, I'm going to start a new thread, and I hope you will help me find some interesting zombie figs - and not just the generic kinds that are so numerous out there.  I've started it in the Call of Cthulhu forum because the game is not era-bound, but all welcome to post:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=20814.0

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:07:51 AM »
"but for this decontam suit and respirator, there go I"   No one is safe from being turned into a zombie.. and what a end to come to! Can you be ever vigilent? Can you avoid contamination? Breath the wrong air?  Some of what I think make zombizim scary. Also the only defense seems to be Them or Us, as basically there are no charms, no cures or easy fixes to the infestation!  If your cornered in a MALL, head to a shoe store, get some comfortable shoes to make your last stand in so if, IF , you dont survive the next wave, at least as you shuffle along your feet wont get beat up to badly :)
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »
"If your cornered in a MALL, head to a shoe store, get some comfortable shoes to make your last stand in so if, IF , you dont survive the next wave, at least as you shuffle along your feet wont get beat up to badly :)

Or... you can run... LOL