Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:41:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690515
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Never Mind The Bill Hooks test game #2 (page 4), lotsa pics!  (Read 9560 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Never Mind The Bill Hooks test game #2
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2020, 01:05:46 PM »
And here you go... a blow-by-blow account of my second (solo) test game of NMTBH (with no hedges) – basically training myself to learn the rules (still a work in progress). Sorry it's so long, but sharing all the gritty details might help other players get a better handle on the rules than I’ve managed so far, because I do keep missing things! lol

I played this game on some of my terrain boards with integral scenery. These boards were designed for large scale skirmishes with 30 – 40 figures a side, moving as individuals or in small groups. Not so much for a game with 200 figures moving in formed units!
There are a few compromises as a result, because with textured terrain, inbuilt hills, slopes, and scrubby areas, it’s simply not possible to keep figures in neatly ranked-up units. So although they’ll always fight according to the rules (in two ranks of six, for instance), they may appear to be rather more mob-like than that on the tabletop (which I don’t think looks bad, by the way ;))

It’s also only a 5’ x 4’ table - which is probably a bit small for 100 or so figures per side.

Anyway… Each side has pretty much the same strength:

1 x mounted knights
1 x prickers and scurrers (light horse)
1 x foot men at arms
2 x bows
2 x bills
1 x artillery piece
1 x skirmishers

One of the Lancastrian bill companies was switched for a Scots mercenary pike company.
Each side holds seven army morale tokens.
Each side has a C-in-C plus two subordinate leaders. All leaders are rank two - no heroes, no dolts. At least not to start with…

In terms of points, this is some way short of the ‘at least 50% bills and bows’ stipulation, although in terms of figures on the table, it just about passes muster. Close enough for my purposes anyway.

Here’s the table after the first round of manoeuvre phase moves – York on the left, Lancaster on the right.

There are two bridges plus two fords over the stream.
There’s no scenario other than ‘mash the other side into oblivion’ :D

By accident rather than design, the fact that the Lancastrians started behind the stream, obliging them to move forward in order to do anything much at all, whereas the Yorkists had a nicely convenient set of linear obstacles (walls, fences, a pond) to hunker behind, this resulted in the Lancastrians becoming the de facto attackers and the Yorkists, the defenders. (Although I suppose it could have worked the other way round).

And viewed from the other end of the field…

The line-ups are as follows…

Starting on the right of the Yorkist line: Lord Hastings’ ward – a unit of scrofulous scurrers, a block of Stafford bills and De Brassey/Osney bows, plus an organ gun positioned on the rise behind them.

The Yorkist centre: the Duke of Clarence (C-in-C) with his men-at-arms and a skirmish screen of Milanese crossbowmen.

The Yorkist left wing. Richard of Gloucester with his mounted knights, plus a block of bill and bows.

A view along the Yorkist line from their left…

Over to the Lancastrians.

On their left wing: Sir Thomas Howard, Earl of Surrey, C-in-C (historically, as it happens, a loyal Yorkist, but what the heck) with a unit of mounted knights and unit of light horse. Supported by an artillery piece that has somehow been manhandled up onto a commanding bluff over the stream…

In the Lancastrian centre: Sir Robert Tenchley (what a turncoat – he was a Yorkist in the last game!) with a block of bows and men-at-arms.

On the Lancastrian right wing: Sir Andrew Trollope’s ward – a block of Howard bills and bows, plus a unit of Scots mercenary pikemen and Scots mercenary handguns…

Second round of the manoeuvre phase…

On the Lancastrian left, Sir Thomas Howard leads his knights splashing across the ford (I took an executive decision that as far as this battlefield goes, fording the stream wouldn’t disarray horsemen on steeds up to their knees, but would disarray infantrymen up to their waists).

Tenchley’s command are already across their footbridge, his longbows deploying on the flank of a gorse-clad slope.

Trollope’s bills and bows also ford the stream, taking a disarray marker, while his Scots pikemen cross their footbridge and his handguns probe forwards…

In response, the Yorkist line steps purposefully forward up to the mark…

The manoeuvring is suddenly interrupted by the Yorkist artillery opening up on Sir Thomas Howard’s distant Lancastrian mounted knights – boom! Inflicting two immediate casualties. First blood to York!

Over we go to the card-driven activation for the main battle phase…

Unbelievably, the very first card turned is Lord Hastings on the Yorkist right.
He could have ordered his gun to fire again straightaway, but I thought that seemed wrong, even though the rules allow it. Instead Hastings sends his prickers and scurrers racing forward to attack the depleted Lancastrian knights – risky, but who dares wins, Rodney!
Howard naturally counter-charges, and clash!

The result is predictably brutal. Three dead knights - but five dead prickers. They immediately break, yielding two Yorkist army morale tokens straight up to the Lancastrians.
Luckily the rest of Hastings’ ward survive their morale checks as they watch their cavalry flee past them.

I now made a booboo here ::)
Howard’s few remaining knights should have pursued, but I forgot about that in all the excitement.
Instead, Hastings ordered his bowmen to loose, and managed to slay two more of the Lancastrian knights, leaving only one remaining, plus the C-in-C himself.

Next up comes Sir Andrew Trollope’s card, and he brings the rest of his bills across the stream, and orders his Scots pikemen forward.

Then goes Sir Robert Tenchley. More forward movement from his block of men-at-arms and bows, and then one volley of longbow shooting at the Milanese crossbowmen, who lose a figure.

Yorkist skirmishers and artillery next – the Yorkist gun fires again, this time on the Lancastrian scurrers in the distance, and knocks one off.
The Yorkists’ Milanese crossbowmen manage to reciprocate by shooting one of Tenchleys longbowmen in the gorse. Nasty.

The Lancastrians’ Scots skirmishers now move up and fire - very successfully, knocking off three of the Yorkist longbowmen opposite them.

The Lancastrian gun then fires, and manages to knock off another of the Milanese crossbowmen.

Sir Thomas Howard’s go - he promptly abandons his last surviving knight, and races back to join his light horsemen at the ford.

That just leaves Gloucester’s Ward stymied by the last card. His longbowmen shoot though, getting a free shot since it’s the end of the turn and they haven’t done anything – and they miss.

The sole surviving Howard knight won a melee in this turn, so bizarrely, doesn’t have to check his morale, even though he’s some way under half strength!

Part two follows shortly...

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:25:18 AM by Captain Blood »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Never Mind The Bill Hooks test game ;)
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »
Turn two…

The Lancastrian artillery and skirmishers card turns up first. The Lancastrian gun fires, and rolling three ones, promptly blows up!
The Scots handguns fire, but all miss. An inauspicious start to the turn for the Lancastrians!

Next up, Tenchley’s ward in the Lancastrian centre. They shoot another volley of arrows at the Milanese crossbows, killing three more (despite the Italians’ saving throw being improved one armour class by the cover of the stone wall)

As luck would have it, the next card out is Clarence’s. Having just seen his Italian skirmish screen decimated, Clarence throws his men-at-arms forward over the wall, eager to get down to business. They take a disarray marker, but Clarence uses his second command action to rally this off (I think I’m right in saying that unlike ‘daunted’, ‘disarray’ can be incurred and rallied off in the same turn?)

Clarence then uses a perk bonus card (picked up by the Yorkists in a turn of the bonus card during the first turn), to give his men-at-arms an extra activation – they charge! Luckily, with Tenchley attached, the Lancastrian archers have the option to evade – which they do, hastily swapping places with their own men-at-arms behind them.

The two bodies of men-at-arms now lay to with a vengeance, and this is largely on the roll of the dice, although with the advantage of attacking, the Yorkists get to re-roll any ones.

The Yorkists lose three men-at-arms, whilst the unfortunate Lancastrians lose four. Tenchley’s block is pushed back towards the bridge, becomes daunted, and splits in two - yielding two army morale tokens up to the Yorkists.

It’s Trollope up next for the Lancastrians. Seeing this ghastly setback unfolding, he leaves his Scots pikes and handguns to hold the Lancastrian right flank, and orders his block of bows and bills across the wall onto the heath, picking up another disarray token (he rallied off the previous one – again, I think I’m right in saying that the block as a whole is disarrayed, not the two individual units? So only one disarray marker incurred and rallied off?)

Next it’s Sir Thomas Howard’s turn on the Lancastrian left. Rashly, he now leads his light horse in a rapid and risky outflanking manoeuvre, right past the flank of Lord Hastings’ Yorkist bills and bows, heading for the Yorkist gun which started all the trouble!

And finally, for the second turn in a row, it’s Gloucester’s ward on the Yorkist left which fails to turn its card and activate. Harsh.
However, once again, his under-employed longbowmen get to shoot under the ‘end of turn’ rules - and even though there are only nine of them, they manage this time to take off three of the pesky Scots handgunners (who miraculously then pass their morale test).

More unfortunately for the Lancastrians though, that sole surviving Howard knight and standard bearer (remember him?), long since abandoned by his liege lord, IS now obliged to take an end-of-turn morale test, being very significantly under half-strength. He fails the test and immediately routs - yielding a further two Lancastrian army morale tokens up to the Yorkists.
The Lancastrians are already down to just three remaining army morale tokens! :o

Turn three…

First card and Gloucester finally gets to move. He orders his longbowmen to loose with their first action - and they manage to destroy the remaining Scots handguns with a single devastating flight of arrows. The block of bows and bills then moves forward around the pond, ready to face down the waiting Scots pike.
With his second order token, Gloucester leads his cavalry off up the lane to where the real action is.

Next up comes the bonus card, and the Yorkists pick up another perk.
Which is handy, because next up it’s Clarence, who blithely ignores Trollope’s body of bills and bows over to their left, and uses both actions of his men-at-arms to follow up with another attack on Tenchley’s daunted Lancastrian men-at-arms.

Another vicious melee ensues…

Once again, the Lancastrians come off worse (largely because they’re now only defending with one rank because they’re daunted, whereas the Yorkists are fighting with both ranks and rerolling their ones as the attackers… ) Result – two more dead Yorkists, but four dead Lancastrians.
Once again though, the Lancastrian men-at-arms miraculously hang on in their morale test, becoming double-daunted (which isn’t actually a thing) and falling back again over the footbridge, through their archers, but still unbroken.
The archers, still eleven men strong although also daunted, have to take another morale test as their battered big dogs fall back through their midst. They pass. (Although as I understand it, this pass doesn’t remove their daunted status?)

They don’t have long to worry about it anyway, because using that second perk, Clarence orders his men-at-arms forward yet again, to slam into the Lancastrian archers. The archers, their leader no longer attached, have to roll to react – and they decide to stand and fire. Yikes!

They succeed in taking down one Yorkist man-at-arms, which is no mean feat shooting daunted with their front rank only, but they then get walloped.
It’s a predictable bloodbath – no casualties on the Yorkist men-at-arms, but five slain Lancastrian longbowmen.
They break, coughing up another army morale token, pushing their way off-table through their own men-at-arms. The men-at-arms take no notice, and don’t have to test their own morale again, because longbowmen are mere riff-raff.

And in a clean sweep of initiative for York, Lord Hastings now gets his turn as well.
He wheels his block of bills and bows in the cabbage patch 45 degrees, and with their second action, his longbows loose at Thomas Howard’s passing plump of mounted spears - to devastating effect, killing four of those rash horsemen.

Unfazed by this setback, Howard now leads his surviving prickers to attack the Yorkist gun on its hillock.
The rules say cavalry can’t charge uphill, which I take to mean they can still urge their horses up a slope (it’s not a very big slope) and into contact, but they don’t count the attacking bonus of re-rolling 1s.

In any event, the hardy artillerymen manage to kill one horseman, for two losses of their own. The sole survivor abandons his gun and flees - hotly pursued by the reckless Lancastrian C-in-C, who promptly leaves the field never to return. (A departure which at least saved his prickers from yielding up another army morale token or two).

It’s now Sir Andrew Trollope’s turn. But just as he is about the plunge towards the fray, the Yorkists play another bonus card on him - this time a forfeit they have been holding onto since turn one (yes, the Yorkists got ALL the luck with the bonus cards in this game, the Lancastrians only ever winning the dummy card). So his block can only take one action. His disheartened longbows launch a desultory long range volley at Gloucester’s knights – and don’t hit a thing.

That’s the end of turn three, and in the end of turn wash-up actions, Tenchley’s Lancastrian men-at-arms (down to only four figures), immediately have to test their morale again – and this time they do break. Sir Robert Tenchley has the good grace to scurry off with them, and a sixth Lancastrian army morale token is passed across to the Yorkists.

And that is effectively that.

The Lancastrians still do have one army morale token left to give - but they only have Trollope’s ward surviving, the other two wards having completely disintegrated.
His Scots pike have done absolutely nothing, and are now out of his command range anyway.
His skirmishers have been destroyed.
He only has his block of bills and bows left. Whereas the Yorkists have two largely intact blocks of bills and bows, plus their knights, plus Clarence’s bloodied half-unit of men-at-arms.
It’s mission impossible for Trollope, and he cedes the field.

Interesting that largely through the turn of cards, there was hardly any action at the Gloucester/Trollope end of the battlefield. It all happened in the centre and at the other end.
The Yorkists indisputably had the better luck, with both the bonus cards and the dice, but the Lancastrian C-in-C, Sir Thomas Howard, did make a couple of stupid decisions, so probably got his just desserts.

Once again, it’s an interesting and intriguing set of rules. But there is a LOT to remember. I have made the attached extra QRS to help remind me of the things I keep forgetting!

Only one special event card came up - once again it was the 'truce' card, which seems of slightly limited use given that melees seem to rarely be drawn, and I'm not quite sure where the advantage would be in playing it anyway. But it's a nice piece of period flavour :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Never Mind The Bill Hooks test game #2 (page 4) Loooong report, pic heavy!
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »
Mighty fine looking game  8)

Offline AndyC

• Assistant
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2020, 01:53:12 PM »
Another great battle report. I really like the
Aide-memoire sheet.
Only one point - you have to use any bonus cards (apart from
Special event)
In the turn you draw them - else put them back in the
Deck at the end of the turn (page 11 col2)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »
Got it! Thanks Andy  :)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »
Richard - your pictures are simply stunning and they put the rest of us mortals to shame. Gorgeous.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2020, 02:58:17 PM »
A glorious looking game Captain! Top notch  ;)

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2020, 03:04:02 PM »
Marvelous photos  :-*
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2020, 03:34:42 PM »
Splendiforus  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2020, 03:58:50 PM »
How many photos?

Marvellous stuff though, eye candy of the finest quality.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »
Fantastic battle report!  :-*

What a lovely table...  ;D

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2020, 04:15:15 PM »
That's half a Wargames Illustrated issue right there!

Wonderful write-up again and, it's a small thing, but I do like that you consistently remind us who is who and what side they're on (Yorkist/Lancastrian). The detailed photos and captions of each army at the start is much appreciated too. I love the Perry write-ups on their FB page, but after a quick intro at the start, they then just call each unit by the commander's name and I forget who is on who's side!

But bat-reps like this do remind me why I don't like 'random activation' style rules. They may accurately reflect the historical confusion of commanding armies, but if I was trying to play a game, and my beloved units just sat there twiddling their thumbs, or like your Lancastrian scurriers, I managed to boldly manoeuvre a fast unit into a threatening position, only for the opposition to randomly acquire a bonus activation that meant they could react supernaturally fast, it would frustrate me beyond the boundaries of a fun challenge.   
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2020, 04:27:23 PM »
Great report! And that's a really impressive table too, I'm definitely jealous  lol

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2020, 04:39:34 PM »
Thank you for the ton of work that went into presenting that - your table is an absolute delight.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Never Mind The Bill Hooks test game #2 (page 4), lotsa pics!
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2020, 09:41:49 AM »
Thanks lads :)

Card activation for units seems to be present in most of the rulesets I’ve played over the last few years. I guess it’s emerged as the antidote to the predictability of IGOUGO. It works well in this set of rules, and the random cards add a little period flavour and uncertainty, which on balance, I think is good. Their effect is minimal overall within the game, although it’s true, it can be crucial. The ‘friction’ element here is minimal compared to some currently popular rulesets - it’s only the last card each turn which misses out, and that’s not necessarily even one of the commanders’ cards.