Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:45:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Unbroken Road – Ventures in the Early Roman Empire (UP 10th Nov, p. 5)  (Read 7353 times)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Thanks for the comments, chaps! :)

Richard, special credit to you for informing my choice of markers. There will be casualty figures as well, though I've yet to decide how to track numbers with them (dice, numerals, wheels…).

The warlord figures seem to fit ok too, and must pick up some covered shields!

AFAIK Warlord had their Early Imperial Romans scaled to Foundry's Perry range. I don't care for their plastic sets but the sculpts by Paul Hicks are rather nice – if sometimes overladen with exaggerated detail and a bit static in pose. They add good variety, though.
Please note that the photo of the markers is slightly misleading; it's a collage of two separate shots (the legionary and the markers) and thus not in scale. There's actually little difference in size of the shields.

Is that centurion Macro by any chance?

I don't know if the Eagle series had been published before this range was released. 2001 or at about that time? Anyway, I've never made it beyond 'Under the Eagle'. If I had to choose, it's Sutcliff rather than Scarrow. Non-English fiction notwithstanding. ;)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
The Last Legion…ary group in my basic force for "Infamy, Infamy". Photos are a bit off, for unknown reasons. But there was much rejoicing.

To complete the range of 'NCOs' within a centuria, this group is joined by the unit's standard-bearer, literally a signifer. I'm a little surprised that this iconic figure is somehow ignored in the Lardies' ruleset despite their focus on "command and control". Or at least they don't offer a modelling option. Hence the man's included here, leading the charge from the front.
The original miniature (by Foundry) has an open-faced helmet, yet I wanted to represent the silvered mask found at Kalkriese. Such items are often associated with 'parade armour'. However, I follow the opinion (e.g. expressed by Junkelmann) that they could've been used in battle as well. Come on, too cool to be left in the barracks!
Also, yes, one shield boss is pierced. After some miniatures had lost their shields several times I started to pin them. Almost lost the will to live. Won't do that again. :-I

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
The whole lot is so good, I‘m a big fan of this project. Love the red on the tunics, with the various shades. The skin tones are awesome and on top of it the whole presentation of the Legionares on the bases is ace as the bases are themselves!
If I haven‘t had done them already, I would start right now.  lol

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
That's high praise, Marc, thanks a lot! You may notice that I adopted the 'enlarged DBA' style of bases as propagated by yourself, Frank M., and other weirdos. :D

To meet the minimal requirements for "Infamy, Infamy" (if cheating on numbers), I add a group of Romanised auxiliaries:

Figures by Foundry, decals by LBM. Painted spears are conjectural, I simply fancy the look.
Like said earlier, these are by far my favourite troopers within the Roman army. There's a story to this, best told in another picture:

Well, that's me on the left, a long time ago (and a friendly yet loathsome Late Roman on the right; ugh, decline and fall in progress…). Explains my choice of colours for the miniatures – if shield design is a bit off. You see, this has been long in coming, but ever since the road's been unbroken. ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:06:47 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
Indeed, the first thing that came to my mind was - this looks really like Frank M.‘s DBA basing convention, which I like a lot. But I wasn‘t sure about it and after getting over the surprise of seeing EIRs from your hand and all the rest I totally forgot to ask about it  lol

And yes, the Aux’s are very nice, too. The models and the paint job.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
The auxiliaries look fantastic and I love the painted spears!  :-*

@Tellus.. get your butt in gear and paint up some minis for us to gawk at!  ;)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Absolutely love this thread Sir!  :-*
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Beautiful job on those auxiliaries  8)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Lovely additions  :)

I don't know if the Eagle series had been published before this range was released. 2001 or at about that time? Anyway, I've never made it beyond 'Under the Eagle'. If I had to choose, it's Sutcliff rather than Scarrow. Non-English fiction notwithstanding. ;)

I enjoy them as a good ‘switch off’ read  :)

I’ll give Sutcliff a go once I’ve finished the latest batch I’ve got going.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Thanks all for your kind comments. :)

I enjoy them as a good ‘switch off’ read

Oh, they're a good romp for sure. Just personal preference as the appeal of a lot of modern 'military fiction' is simply lost on me. For instance, I didn't buy into Scarrow's equation of Roman and modern army life. Sutcliff's way more of a traditional take 'for young readers', of course. A fair bit of nostalgia there for me. ;)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
So the troops for "Infamy, Infamy" are assembled. But there's one more thing.

This tribune will serve as an additional 'big man'. As a true Roman nobleman he's sporting an old-fashioned equestrian shield (parma) and a Hellenistic helmet, but has also adapted to border life in wearing a 'barbarian' cloak. The mini's inspired by a fancy illustration taken from "Das Heer des Varus" by Strassmeir/Gagelmann.

Finally, here's a shot of the whole lot. As you can see the full assembly takes up merely the size of a pocketbook's cover.

Of course, once started it's never fully finished. Reinforcements are already on their way.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
So the troops for "Infamy, Infamy" are assembled. But there's one more thing.

This tribune will serve as an additional 'big man'. As a true Roman nobleman he's sporting an old-fashioned equestrian shield (parma) and a Hellenistic helmet, but has also adapted to border life in wearing a 'barbarian' cloak. The mini's inspired by a fancy illustration taken from "Das Heer des Varus" by Strassmeir/Gagelmann.

Finally, here's a shot of the whole lot. As you can see the full assembly takes up merely the size of a pocketbook's cover.

Of course, once started it's never fully finished. Reinforcements are already on their way.

Pardon me as I pick my jaw up from the floor :o
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
The tribune rocks!  :-*

Great addition to an already lovely collection!

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
 :-* wow ! Loving the brushwork all the way through but that character has sure got some character   :-*
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
The auxiliaries look fantastic and I love the painted spears!  :-*

@Tellus.. get your butt in gear and paint up some minis for us to gawk at!  ;)

Always at your service Ray  lol , so, watch out.

@ topic
Great addition this characterful character  :D
And the whole troupe looks splendid.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 04:11:37 PM by Tellus »