Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:35:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Osprey Game - Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III  (Read 18881 times)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: New Osprey Game - Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 10:25:56 PM »
Sounds interesting but I'm not holding my breath. Not due for release for another 15 months!
Exactly the problem! Zona Alpha became so uninteresting after these long time like all the stuff from osprey...
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 10:41:20 PM »
I am not sure I understand this point......
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2020, 11:30:31 AM »
I am not sure I understand this point......

I think the point is... short attention span. People want the rules ASAP, and if they are not published immediately, they lose interest. Of course... no one consider author's time, publication lead time and so on... more to the point in case like this we see just an amazon announcement of something that it is not even mentioned in Osprey catalog or blogs...

At the same time people, often the same... complain that authors do not splurge details and blog posts years in advance to advertise their work...  o_o

Internet...  o_o

Anyway I am happy with Osprey Wargames... I recall a good one... Men of Bronze should be titled...  lol
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 07:00:36 PM »

Anyway I am happy with Osprey Wargames... I recall a good one... Men of Bronze should be titled...  lol

I see you are also a man of taste and sophistication!  Well met good sir!   

lol

Edit: Outremer: Faith and Blood has a very good campaign system attached to it.  Therefore, I wonder how this game will handle campaign play in such a different setting?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:09:14 PM by Easy E »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2020, 11:25:37 PM »
I will for one keep buying Osprey rulesets that interest me. I have enjoyed all those I have played, in particular Rebels and Patriots has proven to be a very flexible generic set.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2020, 03:28:47 PM »
I think the past months of the pandemic [and with extra time for hobby reflection] has reinforced my wargaming plans to do what I've already enjoyed doing for decades, but with an eye towards greater refinement (instead of waiting for new rules, and/or for anticipating collecting into new periods).

Example - Rebels and Patriots - how many [better] takes on AWI rules need there be I wonder?

Frankly, before the virus disruption, I can't say my gamer group had much time then to try out new rules - without a major commitment and admittance that if the endeavor ended up without much return, it was generally a distraction.  Before doing this, some ruleset must clearly offer appreciable gains in order to occupy our precious face-time.....and the pandemic has only reinforced this belief now.

Certainly, if someone is looking for rules to a new period they want to get into, and perhaps even collect as a new project, then maybe that new ruleset will be perfect.  On the flip side, how do favorite rules used for a period become dated - and then needing replacement?

Luckily, Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III (and used to play that FPS PC game series a lot in fact), isn't a miniatures period I'm into, so I can stay strong and true to my thinking here, but Good Luck ya'll!  8)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 07:34:00 AM »
I bought quite a few good and interesting rulesets from Osprey. But there are a few I didn't like, that being largely a matter of taste or unfinished rulesets (or both).

I will watch this one closely, as I am heavily into the modern period. Hopefully they will be seeking test players :)
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2021, 03:46:00 PM »
I think one problem with this set is, that people expect a modern "Outremer" from this author. It would be nice to get more information about the rulesystem and mechanics. Maybe the author can tell us more in this forum.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2021, 05:20:29 PM »
I, for one, like several of Osprey's "bluebook" rules.  My gaming group has had the opportunity to playtest Flashpoint!, and we liked them.  I did have some suggestions for the author, based on my own experiences in the US Army, and my knowledge of period weapon systems, etc. ... I was in a tank battalion in Germany from '84 to '87.  I'll surely get them and play them when they come out...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »
Hi, if you look down the threads you will see "Cold War Rules Playtest". Basically the author is asking for playtesters so you can see what they are like by volunteering! I have read them and they are a platoon-level infantry based game set in a  "Twilight 2000" style world ( if you remember the RPG....). The premise is that it is WWIII plus 12 months and the fighting has become mainly infantry based as most heavy weapons/vehicles have either broken down or run out of fuel/ammo. The rules themselves are pretty simple with a lot of effort also going into developing your force from game to game. If you want something more detailed they won't  be for you, but if you like that sort of game with a "campaign" bolt-on they could work .     

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2021, 12:24:23 AM »
Hi, if you look down the threads you will see "Cold War Rules Playtest". Basically the author is asking for playtesters so you can see what they are like by volunteering!   
Cool, Ill check it out.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2021, 08:08:06 AM »
The author of those rules started a thread on this very forum not long ago.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131842.0

You could always ask them.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ursus Maior

• Student
  • Historian with a few to many
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2021, 11:10:11 AM »
Hi, if you look down the threads you will see "Cold War Rules Playtest". Basically the author is asking for playtesters so you can see what they are like by volunteering! I have read them and they are a platoon-level infantry based game set in a  "Twilight 2000" style world ( if you remember the RPG....). The premise is that it is WWIII plus 12 months and the fighting has become mainly infantry based as most heavy weapons/vehicles have either broken down or run out of fuel/ammo. The rules themselves are pretty simple with a lot of effort also going into developing your force from game to game. If you want something more detailed they won't  be for you, but if you like that sort of game with a "campaign" bolt-on they could work .   
Interesting timing. We just picked up a bit of T2K for roleplaying and started a wargaming project to go along with it. I was waiting for more information on Osprey's new publication, but this seems to fit spot on. I'd be interested how this goes. Especially, we would like to integrate older vehicles into the game, the logic being that the shiny stuff has mostly worn out during the early phases of the war.
liber & infractus

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2021, 01:54:38 PM »
Hi All;

I am the author of this book and I just wanted to say I am pleased to have finally submitted the final draft to Osprey this morning.

My sincere thanks to all the community members who helped with play-testing and provided loads of valuable feedback. I am very grateful for the assistance and I can assure you I took all your points on board.

Apologies for sporadic comms... those of you who read my author profile on the back of Outremer: Faith and Blood will probably guess that due to the nature of my 'full time' jobs I am not always around!!

Once again my thanks to you all... I hope you enjoy them when they are released.
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2021, 07:35:01 PM »
Hi All;

I am the author of this book and I just wanted to say I am pleased to have finally submitted the final draft to Osprey this morning.

Great news!  Looking forward to seeing the product in the flesh!