Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:53:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686655
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sellswords and Spellslingers game - The Summoning of an Ancient Evil  (Read 2420 times)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
We have played a lot of Sellswords and Spellslingers over the last 1½years and we really enjoy the system. Its probably the first co-op tabletop game either of us has played and it certain brings a new dimension to gaming. The slightly chaotic and very tense games that SS&SS creates really keeps you engaged.

Our parties have about 10 games under their belts so we have moved onto some of the harder (Expert) scenarios. We'll play a couple more and then retire them and we want to try out some different builds. (I'll post another scenario soon)

The scenario we played is called The Summoning of an Ancient Evil and fortunately I had the right figures for it. Most of the figures are Reaper Bones (including the stone circle) with GW figures for the Barbarians and Ratmen and a couple of characters.

The table setup with the stone circle in the middle and 16 Ratmen protecting it! The stone circle has a protective field and we played it that the field protects against shooting or magic attacks (although not stated in the scenario). A Warlock is summoning a demon and this will turn up after 15 failed activations by the parties.

Our parties
Both our parties are similar with 2 fighters each armed with sword and shield, an archer with Strongbow and a Wizard.

First turn
A few fireballs and bow shots killed some of the ratmen and opened up a space to get to the stone circle. However a horde of chaos barbarians turned up and move towards the other party. We Although the first party did well, only failing 1 activation, the other party failed 5!

In the second turn the first party advancing towards the stones, while loot markers litter the ground. They are reluctant to enter the circle alone and hope the other party gets their sh&t together!

The second party advances while they try to avoid a horde of barbarians who have appeared on their table edge. Again they fail more than their share of activations.

And the danger continues to grow, with the activation number up to 13 by the end of the second turn, and so the Demon will appear soon.  Note we played that the Warlock would not attack the party until he has finished summoning the Demon even on a Monster frenzy card.

Uh-oh

Meanwhile the second party is still having a tough day, stepping on scorpions and the leader who is a drunk, has lost his balance twice already (and he passed his drunken roll). This swordsmen has also fallen over and is being ambushed by a Ratmen.

The first member of the party breaks through the magical barrier protecting the stones, but then he begins to wonder if that was a good idea, as he is all alone with a Warlock and the Demon!

Help arrives in the form of a Wizard and an Archer. Probably not the best people to fight a demon with, but the others are unable to burst through the magical field protecting the stone circle. The archer is attacked by the demon and suffers 2 pts of damage so the situation is looking grim.

In the next turn the fighter and other Archer burst through, but they are not in time to save the Archer who has been killed by the Demon. While the fight is going one the remaining 2 fighters once again fail to get through the barrier and are pushed a long way back!

The Warlock also suffered 2 wounds but still survives and inflicts more damage on the Dwarf, who has lot 2pts of damage (out of 3).

In the next turn the Warlock of Larunn is killed, but none of the fighters can stop the Wizard being killed by the Demon.

The two fighters and the remaining Archer gang up on the Demon, and one of the other fighters finally breaks through the circle (perhaps because the power has weakened now the Warlock is dead). However a horde of wandering Chaos Barbarians arrive at the warriors backs causing some tense moments.

Fortunately the barbarians are dealt to rather quickly, and the Demon is slain by the fighter who had just burst through the barrier.

A tough day for our adventurers and one party had two members slain (fortunately both survived without lasting effects

Afterthoughts
At first this seemed like a relatively easy scenario and we seemed to be cruising, but then like so many SS&SS games the intensity increased. Although there wasn’t a lot of photos showing all the wandering monsters, they tied up one party for a lot of the game. And the magical barrier really made it hard to get the parties in to kill the Demon and Warlock.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 08:53:01 AM by 6mmfan »

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sellswords and Spellslingers game - The Summoning of an Ancient Evil
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
Sellswords and Spellslingers is by far my favourite solo/co-op ruleset.

Your depiction of the battle is great and I love your stone circle, I also agree with your interpretation of the rules that the Warlock can't attack whilst performing the spell.

I do play that the Demon can leave the circle once summoned if he wishes (ie. nearest targets are outside the circle) and that the Warlocks attacks can leave the circle.

Thanks for such a great report and pictures.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:00:45 AM by Spinal Tap »

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »
Thanks, the Demon never needed to leave the circle, plenty of easy targets!

We were trying to get to the Warlock before the Demon arrived, but it didnt work out.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 01:30:32 PM »
Saw on FB that you're eagerly awaiting the campaign book; me too.

I did some of the playtesting for a few scenarios and can't wait for it to be released.

I really want to see what else Graham came up with.

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 07:15:53 PM »
Great looking game, looks like it was a lot of fun.

I haven't heard of Sellswords and Spellslingers and will have to look into it?

Thanks for posting.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 05:10:09 AM »
Thanks. The game is published by Ganesha games (Songs of blades etc but an improved system IMHO).

There are a lot of cards for the game so I would suggest buying the printed copy unless you dont mind doing all that yourself.

Great looking game, looks like it was a lot of fun.

I haven't heard of Sellswords and Spellslingers and will have to look into it?

Thanks for posting.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 03:49:46 PM »
Unfortunately buying printed cards for SS&SS here in the UK is prohibitively expensive  :(

Great looking game! I have that tracker figure too  :D

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 10:09:54 PM »
I started playing SS&SS about 2 months ago and it has quickly become my favourite solo game.  I have exhausted all the scenarios in the book and am looking forward to the upcoming campaign.  I really like the tension provided by the activation system.  Also, I have been playing around with trying to convert the system to another period and add hidden set up for even more uncertainty.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
I agree, and its a great co-op system as well which adds another dimension.

Have you seen the scenarios here?

https://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/search/label/Sellswords%20%26%20Spellslingers

The Emperor of Ice and Demons gate campaigns are mostly complete, and you could try out those.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 06:04:43 AM »
Yes, I know that website.  I played the "save the villagers" and"clear the village" from there. They were great.   I actually played the second one twice as got chased off the table on the initial go through and then tried it again.

http://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/2018/05/new-scenarios-for-sellswords-and.html

I meant to play the two longer campaigns there but got sidetracked on trying to modify the rules for use in another period/genre. 

Actually, I was not clear on the XP values for those campaigns.  Is each scenario the usual 4xp base reward?  I don't think it says.

Offline xben

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 03:41:30 PM »
Hi, we are from the French community of Sellswords & Spellslingers. We are currently working on a fansite where we would like to publish some of your adventure reports to share them with the rest of the French community. We would take care of the French translation and indicate that you are the author with a link to the original. You can see an example here: https://soulards-et-sourciers.fr/a/0008/

You can contact us using the @ icon in the footer of the website : https://soulards-et-sourciers.fr/ or on discord Spin0us#1949
Thank you for taking the time to read us.

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 06:48:56 AM »
Fantastic setup, miniatures and batrep, more please!  :-*

Offline The Great Mahoo

• Bookworm
    • Adventures on the Tabletop
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 04:37:53 AM »
Great report!  Hope to see more in the near future!