Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:14:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690599
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPQR and Late Romans  (Read 2476 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
SPQR and Late Romans
« on: November 10, 2020, 07:28:47 PM »
So, my FLGS is selling the starter set for £28 and I have a painted Late Roman Army.  Slightly anachronistic but would they be suitable opponents for the Gauls? Do they fit into the Imperial Roman Army Lists? Cheers.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
Re: SPQR and Late Romans
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 05:32:16 PM »
It's not a perfect match, you could use the Gallic figures but follow the Early German rules? I am not sure that the Early Imperial stats would suit Late Romans but the auxiliaries stats might be usable?

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 09:25:59 PM »
Once we buy it, we can do whatever we want with it! 

Bwahahahahahahahaha! 

I.e. you can use it with Late Romans just fine......
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 04:26:02 PM »
Let me be a contrarian...

no you cannot use the late romans 'out of the box' and no, you cannot have Late Romans vs Gauls, at least if you do historical gaming. Of course you are free to whatever you want but I assume that by asking... you want opinion.

Said that I have found SPQR eminently adaptable as long you do a modicum of historical research (something that in the past was accepted as common in the hobby, nowadays seems almost heretic in nature...  lol ).  Creating a suitable list for a Late Roman force is not arduous. I would say the Sarmatian list is a good starting point for a late roman army, especially if you concentrate on cavalry. The Dacians can raided for inspiration on the infantry too and foederati too.  As opponent, a small Sassanian force or some late Germans can be created quickly, remember SPQR is not hungry in miniatures. Otherwise... the standard Late Roman opponent... another Late Roman force.

I have always found that with a modicum of research silly anachronistic match-ups are entirely avoidable...
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 06:45:22 PM »
Said that I have found SPQR eminently adaptable as long you do a modicum of historical research (something that in the past was accepted as common in the hobby, nowadays seems almost heretic in nature...  lol ).  Creating a suitable list for a Late Roman force is not arduous. I would say the Sarmatian list is a good starting point for a late roman army, especially if you concentrate on cavalry. The Dacians can raided for inspiration on the infantry too and foederati too.  As opponent, a small Sassanian force or some late Germans can be created quickly, remember SPQR is not hungry in miniatures. Otherwise... the standard Late Roman opponent... another Late Roman force.

I have always found that with a modicum of research silly anachronistic match-ups are entirely avoidable...

Yes, that was my thought as well.  Do some research, tweak the rules and lists as needed, and play away!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 09:25:09 AM »
Thanks, chaps.  I have a painted Late Roman force that has been around for years and never graced a tabletop.  I could easily spilt it into two forces and use it for that.  I had considered rebasing for HOTT as well.
I agree about the research angle.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 06:50:37 AM »
It's a great period, but you may as well pick a system that is designed for it (and isn't complete rubbish), such as Dux Bellorum or Comitatus. Even Lion Rampant variant would be better than SPQR.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 10:20:01 AM »
Amazingly, I found Dux Bellorum on my bookshelves, so that saved some money. Cheers.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 12:07:00 PM »
Joroas,  I have both Dux Bellorum and Simon McDowell's Comitatus. As said these are specifically aimed at the 4th-5th century AD period and are both recommended. You may want to base your figures individually using sabot bases as this means they can be used for "big battle" games  plus the more "skirmish type" such as SAGA or SPQR.   

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 12:15:39 PM »
They are based for Hail Caesar but not a great issue to rebase them as I have never used either the rules or the figures.  Just trying to be realistic over my figure usage. Thanks.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 12:37:00 PM »
Joroas, I used to base all my forces specifically for Impetus. Luckily this works great for my favourite ruleset TTS but would be useless for anything else. I've now started to used Warbases sabots. It can cost £20-30 but given the amount I spend on figures, metal spears and shield decals it is well worth it if only to get extra untility out of the forces.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 02:19:07 PM »
Cheers. Just had a quick look and I have sets of these I bought from Warbases last year to use with Muskets and Tomahawks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 02:36:03 PM by joroas »

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »
Joroas,

Are you any nearer to working out how to adapt Late Romans to play SPQR? Most of the replies just seem plugs for other rule sets , none of which are aimed at skirmish level games! Comitatus is an excellent big battle set, think Hail Caesar size, unfortunately, I never found many people who want to play it, in lieu of the numerous simple generic sets out there.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 09:25:37 PM »
No, as I haven't seen the rules yet. It was something of a pipedream and the box I was looking at is out of stock.  I was largely looking to reuse a redundant army.  Thanks.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 05:41:38 AM »
Joroas, it you are looking for a cheap-to-build historical opponent for your Late Romans what about a Gothic/Germanic army using Gripping Beast plastics. They produce the necessary cavalry, unarmoured infantry and archers. You may want to add some metals for elites and characters but it shouldn't be too expensive.

Regards.