Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:12:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: In The Grim Darkness of the Future, I Do Whatever I Want (A few additions)  (Read 31053 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: In The Grim Darkness of the Future, I Do Whatever I Want (UPDATE!)
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2021, 06:36:32 AM »
I apparently forgot one more, another Grenadier figure.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2021, 11:22:12 AM »
Nice Job ! :)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2021, 11:28:07 AM »
Excellent, it's great to see these in colour schemes I would never have imagined. That last Copplestone punk/scaver works really well.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2022, 11:48:37 PM »
Thanks!

Two last figures to end the year, and wrap up one faction of adversaries for some (hopefully) Five Parsecs gaming in the new year! They're both from the old Grenadier Future Wars range.

I wrote up a year end/start post on my blog, and also set up a couple of pages to track & show off my collecting & painting progress for Five Parsecs (and/or other sci-fi gaming) and my crew.

Year end/start post: https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2022/01/goodbye-2021-hello-2022.html
Painting progress & plans: https://www.zerotwentythree.com/p/five-parsecs-from-home.html
Crew (no pics yet, just summary of who I rolled up): https://www.zerotwentythree.com/p/five-parsecs-crew-01.html

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2022, 04:20:05 AM »

The figure on the left is new (to me). It was a gift, so not sure where it came from. It reminded me of Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, so I used that as inspiration for the painting. The figure on the right was painted well over 25 years ago, but just now was put on a base. I figure it will make a good alien beast.

I recently found some more painted Spaven hidden away in a box, so I set up a glamor shot. Dr. Squidclops vs. the Spaven.

I'm still working on painting crew and adversaries for Five Parsecs From Home. I've been stuck on what figures to use for K'Erin, but think I sorted that out. Here's my test figure.

More about that and my own take on their background on my blog: https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2022/01/the-kerin-five-parsecs.html

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2022, 11:57:17 AM »
Very nice figures - and great to see some of the weirder alien models too. :)

I also saw on your blog that you were musing on terrain for 5 Parsecs, and that you were after a few suggestions. I would say that if you look at Battlesystems' cardboard terrain packs for what sort of density fills a 2'x2' table, that you'll be on the right track. It's also a pretty good steer on what sort of environments might be worth thing about. (Even though getting and setting up their terrain is not what you're likely after, I'm just putting them forward to look at and use as inspiration). Core Space, also by Battlesystems, is a complete game as wells as terrain, and the models it has a pretty much perfect for 5P too (the game itself is also pretty good, and can be played solo too...).

Another cheap option might be the newer-style Infinity terrain packs (like "Salvora Governmental Complex", "Daedalus Gate", and "Kaldstrom") - two of those should be plenty for a small board, and everything is pre-printed, double-sided, on heavy card stock (unlike the earlier packs which were very flimsy cereal packet type stuff). The double-sided aspect is worth noting, as it means that with two packs of the same set, building one "inside out" gives you two different-looking sets of complimentary terrain.

If these are all a bit too cyberpunk for you, you could also look at terrain available for Star Wars Legion for some ideas, as well as Rogue Trader. In fact, you could probably transpose RT entirely into the 5P setting just fine, and set your crew up as a new newly-minted Rogue Trader on adventures in the Eastern Fringe! ;)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Thank you, I appreciate the suggestions. I had briefly looked at Core Space because I saw numerous mentions of the game on the 5P FB group. Just went back and looked at those options plus the Battlesystems. My curiosity is piqued! I'm definitely interested in some of the terrain, but now that you mention solo play I'm also curious about the rules. I'll have to look into it more.

My 5P crew/setting is going to be like a mix of RT and 5P settings. My Precursors are Eldar, scrappers are squats. No plans for marines, though.  It's the fare fringe of Imperial space.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
I am excited to see you work your way through 5PFH. I bought the book a couple of months ago and have started collecting some figures for it. I already have some Algoryn from WG that I will using as K'Erin. Although I have never played Beyond The Gates of Antares I quite like a lot of the figures in the range and I can see myself using some of them in 5PFH.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
I really like how you turned those Copplestone Future Warriors into gangers on the fringe of a far away galaxy. Nice painting and brave choices. The results are really brilliant!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2022, 06:03:17 PM »

The figure on the left is new (to me). It was a gift, so not sure where it came from. It reminded me of Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, so I used that as inspiration for the painting. The figure on the right was painted well over 25 years ago, but just now was put on a base. I figure it will make a good alien beast.

Great stuff, love seeing figures from many sources used for one project. The little green fella was made by Wargames Supply Dump

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Miscellaneous_%28WSD%29
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Arjuna

• Assistant
  • They wish to be destroyed, and you destroy them.
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2022, 07:12:45 PM »
The right one is a characteristic Josef Ochmann sculpt, C1047g Swamp Stalker demon.
Nice.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 07:16:09 PM by Arjuna »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: In The Grim Darkness of the Future, I Do Whatever I Want (Sigmund & K'Erin!)
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2022, 03:14:20 AM »
I am excited to see you work your way through 5PFH. I bought the book a couple of months ago and have started collecting some figures for it. I already have some Algoryn from WG that I will using as K'Erin. Although I have never played Beyond The Gates of Antares I quite like a lot of the figures in the range and I can see myself using some of them in 5PFH.

I hadn't seen the Algoryn before, good choice! I may have gone that route too if only I had known about them before picking up these Wrath of Kings figures.  lol

I really like how you turned those Copplestone Future Warriors into gangers on the fringe of a far away galaxy. Nice painting and brave choices. The results are really brilliant!

Thanks! I really love both the Grenadier Future Warriors & Copplestone Castings figures. My friends and I actually played Kill Zone and enjoyed it back in the days of Future Warriors. His sculpts are always a pleasure to paint. I have a team of scavengers on my painting desk, another mix of both of those two ranges he sculpted.

Great stuff, love seeing figures from many sources used for one project. The little green fella was made by Wargames Supply Dump

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Miscellaneous_%28WSD%29

Thanks for the info on the source! I looked up the web archive of the WSD page. Some great figures there, a shame they're all out of production.

The right one is a characteristic Josef Ochmann sculpt, C1047g Swamp Stalker demon.
Nice.

I have or at least *had* all of those at some point. A few of them are currently on my desk awaiting bases like the one I posted above. All from Hobby Products Metal Magic range when I got them. I think at least some of them are still in production, but split between a few different companies?

New stuff! I've mostly been painting undead for the fantasy Old World Army Challenge. But in-between I'm still trying to put together a crew and opponents for a solo Five Parsecs campaign. Almost done with the crew, a combination of figures I previously painted and a few new ones.

https://www.zerotwentythree.com/p/five-parsecs-crew-01.html

For the 2021 OWAC I painted old RT era Eldar, which I posted here. Last month I finished one each of the 2nd ed. Wraithguard as companions for the older Ghost Warriors, since they seem strongly related in the evolution of the game.

I live just outside Cleveland, OH, USA. Our climate and location has always meant we have some unpredictable winter weather. But this year has been crazy. The last few weeks have beeen cycling from single digit temperature to sunny weather in the mid-50's. We've had 12"+ of snow in a single day, then it melts,  we get torrential rainstorms, then back to sub-freezing weather and the world is ice, and back to snow drifts up to our windowsills. Today we had a marvelous conjunction of sun, (relatively) mild temperatures, and WEEKEND. So grilling season has started!  ;D

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy

Thanks! I really love both the Grenadier Future Warriors & Copplestone Castings figures. My friends and I actually played Kill Zone and enjoyed it back in the days of Future Warriors. His sculpts are always a pleasure to paint. I have a team of scavengers on my painting desk, another mix of both of those two ranges he sculpted.

Yes, Killzone was a fun setting. I always wanted to use fir 40k, where it would have been so much more fun than Necromunda‘s IgoUgo.

Anyway, great painting. And I do love what you did to the okd Spacelords sculpt. Another nice system that has been forgotten.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Very Nice work .
Great to see classic minis being used .

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
I have had five games of 5 Parsecs now and I am absolutely loving it.

On your point about terrain though I have found that some of the battles can be over really quickly. My crew might be an outlier mind. The RNG in the crew setup and the first couple of turns was extremely beneficial so I have a hyper blaster and two autoguns. Nice, long range weapons that put down many shots. Almost every opponent I have met is usually outranged and has to walk into this wall of lead/blaster fire before they can even take a bead. I am not complaining as I am sure the the RNG Karma bubble will reverse direction soon but it has meant that I spend three times as long putting down lots of lovely terrain and scatter and foilage as I do running the combat. I am mulling the idea of slimming down the scatter or having more pre-built 'pieces' - a couple of pallets with boxes/barrels glued on a base.

Something to bear in mind when you are putting together terrain for your games.