Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: In The Grim Darkness of the Future, I Do Whatever I Want (A few additions)  (Read 31041 times)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
I had exactly the same experience, 45 min set up, 15 min game.

It felt kinda hollow.

I must remember to indulge in more foreplay.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
or having more pre-built 'pieces' - a couple of pallets with boxes/barrels glued on a base.

Go this way. It also aids storage as terrain that can be
spread over a wide area during the game, can (if basing
has been pre thought) fit neatly into a box. I have drawn
the various outlines on the base of the box (ain't Sharpie
pens wonderful) so I know what goes where. Put a letter
under each outline, & also on the right spot in the box.
Putting away becomes a doddle.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
I had exactly the same experience, 45 min set up, 15 min game.

This haunts my every attempt to set up a game :'( I have a crew, some scribbles of a backstory, enough scenery to start with, but the fear of the game being over in two rounds or, alternatively, the never ending game, stops me every time.

Five Parsecs has some nice pre-game bits, and I do like the thought of the crew being there for a reason, so, must conquer fear (I'm busy reading Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, so perhaps I should put the title into practise :D)

Agreed also on the Algoryn. I have a command squad painted and some more in the cupboard, and they have a nice elder race feel to them

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Thank you for all the feedback on the game, terrain, and painting. I'm getting closer to actually playing -- I hope!  lol I do think terrain is the next priority, though I also need a squad of generic soldier/mercenary types as well. Both should go to the top of my to-do list. (Until I get sidetracked...  lol )

I don't remember what blog, post, or social media group led me to these, but I picked up some super cheap plastic toy robots and speed painted them with GW contrast paint & washes. They will serve as security/war bots for Five Parsecs for now. Maybe I will replace them, maybe they will grow on me and stick around. But for now they are a quick and cheap way to get another squad into the pool of figures available for gaming.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
Those look great - very definition of a simple but effective paint job

Shame those things only seem to be available in the US...

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
IIRC em4 still do 5 x plastic ‘mech’ figures in a set?

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
Those robots are great. Do you remember where you got them from?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Those robots are great. Do you remember where you got them from?

I bought them on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093YZFYW7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

There are 4 different figures. In order to get slightly more variety, I cut one of each of the ones I painted at the waist and rotated them before pinning & gluing back in place. There are a some that were "warped" with arms or legs bent at odd angles. I'm going to cut those up for wreckage/casualty markers.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
For enemies that are just basically there to get gunned down, this is a simple and efficient solution. I'm getting less and less interested in spending time painting up enemies for my crew to maim. I like painting the crew figures, but I'm a slow painter, and being able to slap paint around and call it a day is very alluring. Particularly if you aren't sure if you need five or 15 enemies for a game.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
I actually like 'em a lot!  8)

As was said; they're great as cannon fodder, but they do sort of have a vibe of their own. I could see myself painting a couple of units like these for sure...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Really nice work with those robots!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Those em4 mechs can also be easily converted.

Not to jump your post... see here
https://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2015/10/npb-nowa-polska-brygada.html?m=1

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
Thanks for the link

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
I finally finished the last of the crew of the LAGWAFIS, G-Roy. Figure from Satyr Art Studio. Just need some more terrain and to keep working on painting more variety of antagonists to play some Five Parsecs soon!

I'm also following up on a pair of figures I painted last year as "avatars" of Life & Death for fantasy gaming. I decided they are eternal, so need figures based to match my sci-fi project as well. I just finished painting Death. Life is half-finished on the painting table and should be finished soon. The Astro Zombies I painted recently seem a natural match for Death, but I'm not sure what/who to use along with Life.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
I have painted the next set of antagonists, and this is a big one. They can fill the role of various security forces, military types, mercenaries, etc. I will eventually paint a few more groups of figures and get more specific. But this will get me gaming quicker! Just a few more factions to get to what I feel will be a good minimum to start.

I also had the crew pose for a holiday themed photo on Sunday.  ; lol