Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: World War of the Roses - May 22 & 23 - results and next year....  (Read 24080 times)

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
World War of the Roses - May 22 & 23 - results and next year....
« on: December 10, 2020, 06:53:34 PM »
Hello everyone,

Some of you might be interested in this simple painting/gaming challenge I've developed along with fellow WotR 'enthusiasts' Raglan and Paul Baldwin.

'World War of the Roses' has a simple aim: get as many people as possible, wherever they are in the world, painting WotR minis and then to game with them simultaneously on the weekend of May 22 and 23 2021.

It's an attempt to inspire people to (hopefully) come out of lockdown fighting (gaming) and making the most of some of the remote relationships/skills we've all had to build over the last few months.

Here's how to take part;

1. Pick a side - Yorkist or Lancastrian, and paint WotR miniatures. Post pictures of them on social media, or here. If on social use the hashtag #worldwarroses.

2. If you can, organise a game for May 22 or 23 and tell us about it on social - search the hashtag to find us or see my feed on Instagram and Twitter @winston_ab_rees

3. Play the game on the day(s) - and join our group Zoom chats at the start and end of the weekend. At the end of the last game on the Sunday we'll total up 'scores' for Lancastrian and Yorkists winners across all the games to declare an overall 'winner' - York or Lancaster.

There is also a competition!

Early in the new year we'll announce details of a vignette painting competition - the winner will be announced ahead of the weekend and will get a decent prize of WotR minis. Exact amount/details of how to enter to be announced in January.

We don't mind what rules you want to play with - small imaginary scenario games with the likes of 'Billhooks' welcome - all the way up to whopping 1,000-figure+ refights.

Some people might want to pick a particular battle - the three of us are playing a 1,000-figure St Albans I re-fight.

We've already had lots of people taking part and six games are confirmed for May 22 23 already in Wales, UK, the US, Australia, Canada and Spain - but we want more!

Thank you for your support - and keep an eye on this thread for pics, updates and painting tips.

Winston
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 12:15:21 PM by Winston »
Give us a follow on Twitter: @winston_ab_rees and Insta: winston_ab_rees

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Some beautiful War of the Roses battle photos to wet your appetite. These are from the collection of my friend Danny Watts, some were painted by yours truly.

#WorldWarRoses

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
An interesting idea - glad you are giving us some notice!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
An interesting idea - glad you are giving us some notice!

An excellent idea Winston. It should inspire a lot of people to get off their respective 'painting' bums and has the potential to draw in a few more wargamers who are not 'into' the Wars of the Roses too- though Billhooks has certainly achieved that already! I believe it can a very respectable three in the Best rules 2020 WI awards and well deserved.  8)

I have two display games in the planning for next year (re: late next year) and have committed to both and don't want to let my partners in crime down by overstretching and not quite getting the requisite painting done or I would enter the 'comp' at a pinch.

I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to seeing the games next year  8)

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist

I have a bunch of Yorkists already.  I'll add some Lancastrians for this.  And try to find an opponent for a game come May.

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
A fine idea, thanks for posting this. This will certainly help spur me on to finish my Percy retinue. I'll also keep an eye out for the vignette competition in the new year.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
Good idea, but I've painted most of my WotR minis already, can't wargame at weekends and can't zoom, but I will try and play a game around about those dates and post a few pics if I remember.  :)

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
Thank you all - enthusiasm and 'there in spirit' is also most welcome.

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
There I was, minding my own business with all my Christmas hobby projects planned and procured.
And then this lovely distraction comes along, and so now I have a new period to enjoy...

Cant wait!
Though all the detailed history, personalities, heraldry and colours is a bit daunting for a newbie  8)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 01:05:18 AM by Tas »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: World War of the Roses - a painting challenge and simultaneous gaming event
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 10:31:01 AM »
I suppose I could try and jump in with a Speed Painted Burgundian faction- perhaps a small 'test the water' invasion force of a kind?

Offline Stuart H

• Assistant
    • Towton 28mm
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 01:38:12 PM »
Great idea. Hopefully will get my to work on my Lancastarians for Towton again.

Stuart

http://28mmtowton.blogspot.com/
Stuart H

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 04:10:13 PM »
Though all the detailed history, personalities, heraldry and colours is a bit daunting for a newbie  8)

Check out the WOTR source books - https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/p/books_12.html

There are free sample pages to download plus there're help pages on:

Livery colours - https://vexillia.blogspot.com/p/livery-colours.html
Flag types - https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/p/flags-during-wars-of-roses.html

Hope that helps.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 08:55:18 PM »
I suppose I could try and jump in with a Speed Painted Burgundian faction- perhaps a small 'test the water' invasion force of a kind?

It would be a crime not to mate  ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 11:36:47 PM »
It would be a crime not to mate  ;)

True. Got to find the time. It's the time span of history that I'm most passionate about so it would be a bit daft for me to sit it out lol