Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: World War of the Roses - May 22 & 23 - results and next year....  (Read 24090 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: World War of the Roses - a painting challenge and simultaneous gaming event
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 10:36:11 PM »
I have gone from ‘lovely idea but not right now’ to ‘let’s paint a dozen figures and see how it feels’ in one week...

Great idea, I now appear to be in!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 01:44:58 AM »
It would be a crime not to mate  ;)

Chastity is illegal? Well, good idea, I suppose.

That aside, I've got 10mm WOTR plans, but as supplementary stuff for Kingmaker. I'll see if I can arrange things to fit the broader timetable here, which is a lovely idea.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Bohica

• Assistant
  • Co-Host of the Across The Pond Wargamers podcast
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »
Although my game nights are Fridays, I'll run a game at my local hobby shop on Friday the 21st.  Here is a link to the Facebook event I created for it:
https://www.facebook.com/events/543582159931983/?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A[%7B%22extra_data%22%3A%22%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22page_admin_consolidated_entry_buttons_row%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22page%22%7D%2C%7B%22extra_data%22%3A%22%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22surface%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22create_dialog%22%7D]%7D
It could be worse

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 07:13:17 PM »
Just embarking on a new 28mm War of the Roses collection over the winter, this was my old one:

Offline Grass-Hopper

• Assistant
Some of the pictures I have seen on here put my plans to shame, both in size and standard.
However I will join in with this plan now that I have finally got some painting done. My collection is rather small compared to some but will slowly increase hopefully.

Here is a taster, with a couple more pictures on my blog.

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
Looking good - and to take part you can have something big or small - 60 models a side Lion Rampant is as welcome as 1000 a side St Albans.
Give us a follow on Twitter: @winston_ab_rees and Insta: winston_ab_rees

Offline Robtowns1964

• Lurker
Great idea I have had a number of boxes that I have had for far to long, so I am in. I will start with Yorkists.
Thanks for the drive to get started. By the way the vignette has the rules been released yet?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 03:28:28 PM »
Looking forward to seeing what you do Gareth  :)

Offline Blackwurm08

• Schoolboy
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »
Well, a few years ago i painted a few Perry figs of .  last year i found the battle of Barnet.  A couple of months ago i found Nevermind the billhooks rules.  Working toward running a game at my hobby shop on May 22nd.  Here is what i've finished so far.

Here is the Lancastrians that are painted
Neville, Oxford, Exetor, and Sommerset.  Still need Montegu

Offline Blackwurm08

• Schoolboy
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2021, 01:25:33 AM »
Battle of Barnet cont.

The Yorkist side Lord Hastings

Offline Winston

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »
Great stuff everyone. We've had more people taking part/hashtagging than I count recently and big thank-you to all who have taken part.

We'll open the vignette competition next week - Monday 15th Feb - more details on criteria/how to enter then.

Also, the prize has been confirmed... ....and it's really flipping good! Eyes peeled next week. I'll post details here and it'll be all over Twitter, Instagram and YouTube via me (@winston_ab_rees) and my esteemed colleagues in WotR/#WorldWarRoses, Raglan and Paul Baldwin.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2021, 01:55:12 PM »
We'll open the vignette competition next week - Monday 15th Feb - more details on criteria/how to enter then.

Did I hear the words vignette competition???  :o :)

I take it that the details will be posted here Winston?

Offline Grass-Hopper

• Assistant
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 04:50:08 PM »
I have painted everything I have now, so here is a group shot. I am ready for a game in May, hopefully several before that too, assuming Boris ever lets us out.

I do need some more sabot bases though, so Warbases have just received an order.

Offline Winston

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 12:00:32 PM »
Thanks everyone - amazing efforts.

And... the vignette painting competition opens tonight! And the prize is brilliant.

I'll post a link here to a YouTube vid which will explain all, and I'll also post written details here.

We're taking entries on this thread too, as well as via Twitter and Facebook. All will be revealed tonight so eyes peeled for later.

Cheers

Offline Winston

• Librarian
Re: World War of the Roses - VIGNETTE PAINTING COMPETITION THREAD
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2021, 07:37:53 PM »
Hi all - this competition is now open! - with an amazing prize. Entries can be posted on this thread or Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #WWRVignette . No Facebook entries. Here's all the details - simply reply from here with your entries by 8pm GMT Sunday 28 March.

Video explainer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ePmZrRPjPU

And full details;

ABOUT #WorldWarRoses
Run by a group of like-minded UK-based wargamers, #WorldWarRoses is quite simply a call for hobbyists to paint as many WotR minis as possible and post them online using the hashtag #WorldWarRoses. We then want as many people as possible to play WotR games, wherever they are in the world, on the weekend of May 22 and 23 2021, and post about them! On the weekend itself the organising team will run a group Zoom call and keep score from the games across the world for the houses of York and Lancaster. (But use any scale/rule system you like)

ABOUT THE VIGNETTE PAINTING COMPETITION
To encourage #WorldWarRoses players to get creative, we've devised an online painting contest. We want people to create, paint and enter Wars of the Roses mini wargaming vignettes. One lucky winner, judged to have made the best entry will win a real-life prize worth more than £200 (approx $300 US). Entries open on February 15 2021 and CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES IS 8pm GMT on Sunday March 28 2021. NO EXCEPTIONS and please check your timezone! Only open to Wars of the Roses vignettes! The competition is free and open to enter from anywhere in the world.

WHAT COUNTS AS A VIGNETTE?
A vignette is a small collection of miniatures together on a single that make a characterful scene. Like a command stand, or a symbolic/interesting moment - a fallen knight defending a dying horse, some mercenaries stopping to take a drink of ale, a few men at prayer with a friar before battle... you get the idea. Note a vignette is not what we'd traditionally think of as a unit, it's got more character/narrative/obvious single purpose than that.

MORE ABOUT THE RULES/WHAT QUALIFIES
To count entries must be two or more Wars of the Roses miniatures on a base not larger than a CD disk if circular or a CD case if square. They can be any scale but must by WotR era and they must have been painted by you specifically for this competition, the vignette must not have been entered in any other previous competition anywhere in the world. The vignette must be playable in a reasonable sense - i.e. you could put it on a table in a game - so big, thick, tall competition-style bases. You can use printed/bought flags but the miniatures themselves must have been painted entirely by you. Livery decals etc are o.k. but we'e more likely to give thumbs-up to minis 100pc hand painted.
You may want to convert, chop, pose and add green stuff/kit bash minis, add discarded weapons etc etc, that's all fine. Historical accuracy is imporant but we're not looking for odd errors - a slightly wrong type of crossbow won't matter for example - but clearly well out of period/obvious fantasy miniatures won't be counted as entries. Only one entry per person/social media account please.

HOW TO ENTER
Simple - create your WotR vignette and either;
1. Post no more than four good photos of it on your Twitter or Instagram account using the hashtag #WWRvignette before the closing date

OR

2. Post no more than four good photos of it on the World War of the Roses thread on the Lead Adventure Forum (in the medieval section - right here below!) before the closing date, clearly stating they are an entry for the World War of the Roses Vignette Painting Competition. If you are not a member of the forum it is free and easy to register.

Do not try to enter in any other way and NO ENTRIES VIA FACEBOOK. They won't be counted. #WorldWarRoses organisers are not regular Facebook users and we don't have the capacity/patience for FB to run a compo page on Facebook.

JUDGING AND WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT
Judging will take place via panel over the Easter Weekend 2021. Judges' decision is final, and we are looking for only one winner, who will be announced on Sunday, April 14 2021 via social media and the #WorldWarRoses and #WWRvignette hashtags from Winston's Insta and Twitter accounts (@winston_ab_rees on Twitter and Insta), plus Paul Baldwin and Raglan.

THE AWESOME PRIZE!
The single winner will get an army bundle of 28mm metal Wars of the Roses miniatures from Athena Miniatures. This lovely new line of miniatures are now live as retail after a successful kickstarter, and this is what the prize bundle includes;

Mounted Command (3 x Generals, 3 x Standard Bearers)
Mounted Knights (6 x open hand, 6 x weapons – 12 total) Hobilars (6 x heavy cavalry) Foot Generals (3 x generals, 3 x standard bearers)
Foot Knights x 12 Archers x 12
Billmen x 12
Officers/Standard Bearers x 4 Crossbow x 4 Handgunners x 4
Heavy Billmen/Pikemen x 8 Bombard and Crew
Total Retail £186.00

Range now live on the Athena website if you want to see what's on offer/buy some yourself;
https://www.athenaminiatures.co.uk/Wars_of_the_Roses/cat6776949_4617752.aspx

Plus;

A brand new copy of the book Battle of Barnet from the Pen & Sword range

And

Set of x 8 brand new Vallejo model washes.

That's a £186 army bundle, book and washes in total to one lucky winner.

ANY OTHER IMPORTANT INFO?
-As this is competition which is social media-focused and involves metal minis as a prize - entrants under the age of 18 must enter via the supervision of an adult and posted on the account of an adult i.e. through their parent/guardian.
-No cheating. It's a valuable prize so those in contention to win will be contacted in advance of final announcement and asked to provide additional photos via an authentication process.
-Judges decision is final on the winner and on any necessary interpretation of the above rules
-Organisers of World War of the Roses and judges are obviously barred from entering!
-Please make sure you post no more than four images per entry and use good images which are clearly in focus and well lit
-By entering you agree we (the World War of the Roses team) may use your images on social media for purposes of winning announcement and or inclusion of highlights in a video showcasing judging process/best entries.
-You enter at your own risk and the organisers shall not be held liable/responsible for any weird injury you may incur while cutting/sawing miniatures in the process of creating an entry.........
-Have fun and paint! #WorldWarRoses #WWRvignette