Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:05:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark Rules question & Errata thread  (Read 4735 times)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Re: Oathmark Rules question & Errata thread
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2020, 11:34:57 AM »
I think this is to allow a unit of one to turn to face an enemy unit (due to their agility over a formed unit) until they have activated. From that point their facing is fixed until the next activation.

So your King is facing North. If an enemy unit attacks from the south, the king can pivot/wheel (I cannot see the difference for a UoO) to face the attack. This means the king does not suffer the negative effects of being attacked in the rear arc.

However, if the king is facing North and activates (moving further North), he has activated. If he is then attacked from the south, he can no longer manoeuvre and suffers the penalty.

It just seems to me a pointless rule. If I can turn a Unit-of-One in any direction during my opponents Activation, what's to stop me from -while thinking about which unit to Activate- turning my Unit-of-One in the desired direction, then activate it and get it to move in the desired direction. What does "during my opponents Activation" even mean? As long as he is rolling dice or moving figures?

Why not simply give a Unit-of-One a free turn?
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »
It just seems to me a pointless rule. If I can turn a Unit-of-One in any direction during my opponents Activation, what's to stop me from -while thinking about which unit to Activate- turning my Unit-of-One in the desired direction, then activate it and get it to move in the desired direction. What does "during my opponents Activation" even mean? As long as he is rolling dice or moving figures?

'

Nothing, this is legitimate. However, once activated, it can not free manouver until the next game turn.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
I think there is another good reason to stick with the rule that you can only charge one enemy unit. Oathmark is not very fussy regarding base size. This can only work when neither of the players can exploit larger or smaller bases. If you would use base as the determining factor of being able to charge more than one unit, base size would become an issue, while under the current rules it is not.
Absolutely right!

It is basically a free turn (or maneuver), but so, that it can react to the first enemy attack (but only before its own activation). Youre right however, that its not defined when it is allowed while the enemy activation. But maybe it should be read so, that as soon, as the enemy activates a unit, but before it states, what actions it will use.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2020, 02:55:05 PM »
It is basically a free turn (or maneuver), but so, that it can react to the first enemy attack (but only before its own activation). Youre right however, that its not defined when it is allowed while the enemy activation. But maybe it should be read so, that as soon, as the enemy activates a unit, but before it states, what actions it will use.
Having just re-read the rule (page 28) it says "including other unit's activation" - this means that a unit of one can turn at any point in the game up to its activation - (see later for an additional wrinkle).
I have to admit to thinking that during "another unit's activation" a unit of one can manoeuvre does define when it can manoeuvre - literally at any point in the opponent's activation (unfortunately I now have a track playing in my head by "Dead or Alive" complete with a music video including a Unit of One spinning "... right round baby, like a record baby, right round, right round...").

You do also make a good point as to it being a manoeuvre (use of the word "turn" could cause confusion).

The only "rules lawyer" issue would be whether they could react (ie pivot) if they were declared the target of a shooting attack. Read as written, I would say yes.

A Unit of One can pivot at any time - not just during the opponents turn.

The primary reason for it not being a free manoeuvre is that it is a "special free action" (direct quote) and does not count as a manoeuvre within the turn, also as written there is no limit to the number of times it can be used so...

Joriff the Unloved finds himself in the unenviable position of having four units of archers surrounding him. The unit to the north activates and Joriff pivots to face them. he can then use Shielding to protect himself. Next, the unit to the south activates - once again Joriff pivots to face and uses the Shielding rule. Assuming he again survives, this can continue for all the other units (also assuming that there is a more interesting fight going on elsewhere).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 03:06:42 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »
Having just re-read the rule (page 28) it says "including other unit's activation" - this means that a unit of one can turn at any point in the game up to its activation - (see later for an additional wrinkle).
I have to admit to thinking that during an enemy activation a unit of one can manoeuvre does define when it can manoeuvre - literally at any point in the opponent's activation.

You do also make a good point as to it being a manoeuvre (use of the word "turn" could cause confusion).

The only "rules lawyer" issue would be whether they could react (ie turn) if they were declared the target of a shooting attack. Read as written, I would say yes.
Youre right. I read it, and it can maneuver (actually pivot, and it can be important, because so it cant "turn out" of the way of a charge) at any point, but only if it wasnt activated yet. So it can only be attacked in the front or in the rear, after it was activated (but an initiated combat is an activation, so it can only turn its facing in the first close combat).

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
Youre right. I read it, and it can maneuver (actually pivot, and it can be important, because so it cant "turn out" of the way of a charge) at any point, but only if it wasnt activated yet. So it can only be attacked in the front or in the rear, after it was activated (but an initiated combat is an activation, so it can only turn its facing in the first close combat).

Yes, hence why Joriff did not activate in my example.

... it can maneuver (actually pivot, and it can be important, because so it cant "turn out" of the way of a charge)
You are correct, but for a unit of one there is no difference between a pivot (centred on the "officer") and a wheel (centred on any end figure) ^__^.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2020, 05:31:21 PM »
You are correct, but for a unit of one there is no difference between a pivot (centred on the "officer") and a wheel (centred on any end figure) ^__^.
Pivot is a turn around the center, wheel is a turn around a corner. There is a difference, altough pretty small by a human sized miniature. But it is enough to argue about it, so its better to fix it.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2020, 05:58:04 PM »
Pivot is a turn around the center, wheel is a turn around a corner. There is a difference, altough pretty small by a human sized miniature. But it is enough to argue about it, so its better to fix it.
You are correct - sorry - I had misread/misremembered that you chose the figure in the corner of the unit and rotated that and reformed the unit to match.

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 01:11:58 PM »
Old topic, but didn't want to open new thread for additional question.

As far as I understand, the units can first pivot and then charge, even units that they can't see in the beginning of turn (so e.g. an unit that is behind them). I think it is fairly explictly said that it is possible, as line of sight is checked at the beginning of the activation and manouver is separate activation from moving.

I also do believe that it makes sense, due to game being 1:1 scale and thus the units would be much more nimble than in actual mass battles. Of course it also allows unit being charged to flank to be able to respond on their next turn. However, as it took me so much off guard and is so different from other "rank and flank" games, I just wanted to see if it is the way that it is normally played.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2021, 01:36:17 PM »
That is how we play it. I have definitely made some positioning mistakes that saw me flank charged after a wheel manouvre.

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2021, 08:04:07 PM »
I agree that elven mounted rangers should be CD2 and that, even then, they are borderline overpriced.