Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:41:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690845
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What's your 2020 hobby count?  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: What's your 2020 hobby count?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 07:59:01 PM »
Mine was a rather meagre output of 61 miniatures, 1 vehicle and a castle (at least a couple of buildings...).
I will try to paint a little more in 2021, but I refuse to set a goal. lol

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »
My Hobby Count 2020:
(drumbeat)
Yes, I started it! :)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2021, 06:58:46 AM »
To be honest, I don't know. I guess around 100+ 28mm, but that is all.

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2021, 12:54:08 PM »
Bought = 217
Painted = 295
Yearly profit = +78

Me not going to shows or having friends go for me and a bit of mail order discipline kept the bought number down.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2021, 01:47:24 PM »
Not a bad year for me overall!

Metal = 121 painted (all miniatures) out of 171 purchased
Resin = 34 painted (vehicles and scenery) out of 47 purchased
Plastic = 53 painted (20 figures, rest scenery) out of 100 purchased

Everything in 28mm scale

Offline Chriscornwell

• Assistant
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2021, 09:25:41 PM »
Pretty good.
Just shy of 1500 28mm, but a lot of other stuff as well.
I did a tot up and posted a review for 2020 with lots of pictures on me blog
https://itinerantwargamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2021, 12:41:14 AM »
Oh, about 10 minis nearly completed. 8 plastic GW Hobbits and two old 40k Terminators. I ran out of all of my necessary paints and found getting re-stocks a bit more tricky than usual. That's my excuse.

Thought I'd post something for all the underachievers out there! You guys who are painting machines have no idea how de-motivating it can be for the rest of us to find out you've painted 600 minis. It makes us think 'well, what's the point?'

So I've thrown myself on the hand-grenade of 'who's the crappest painter' so if you've only painted 35 minis this year, you can at least think 'well, at least I managed more than that guy!'

I've painted more minis in 2021 than in the whole of 2020, as I've done 12 plastic 19th century cavalry (started as Americans, gave them Pith Helmets and now they're British) in the last couple of days.

Offline Soundchaser

• Student
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2021, 02:54:42 AM »
Your output is commendable. I noticed your paint comment in the thread where you showed recent Prussians. You mentioned using enamels, and I have heard from painters (off and on) that such can take a bit long to dry (of course, not like oils). What wait time do you experience? I wonder if you have a lot in production at once, so that working on a particular color across a group of minis, you return to #1 and find the paint dry ready to switch to another color?

Nice thread made me go back and check just how busy i`ve been:
Napoleonic 28mm :
927 INF
226 CAV
40 ARTY
40 COM

Sarissa:
La Haye Sainte
Hougoumont
Plancenoit Church

Hovels:
Walls

Afghan 28mm:
17 CAV

WW2 28mm:
150 Russians & German inf
20 Vehicles

Landscape 50 x Roads & Rivers

Cheers AL

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2021, 04:57:45 AM »
I think it's important to keep in mind that everyones numbers are only relative to their own previous numbers, not each other. If you painted 10 in 2020 and 10 or less in 2019 then thats Progress.

Oh, about 10 minis nearly completed. 8 plastic GW Hobbits and two old 40k Terminators. I ran out of all of my necessary paints and found getting re-stocks a bit more tricky than usual. That's my excuse.

Thought I'd post something for all the underachievers out there! You guys who are painting machines have no idea how de-motivating it can be for the rest of us to find out you've painted 600 minis. It makes us think 'well, what's the point?'

So I've thrown myself on the hand-grenade of 'who's the crappest painter' so if you've only painted 35 minis this year, you can at least think 'well, at least I managed more than that guy!'

I've painted more minis in 2021 than in the whole of 2020, as I've done 12 plastic 19th century cavalry (started as Americans, gave them Pith Helmets and now they're British) in the last couple of days.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2021, 08:40:29 AM »
I think it's important to keep in mind that everyones numbers are only relative to their own previous numbers, not each other. If you painted 10 in 2020 and 10 or less in 2019 then thats Progress.

It probably wasn't, my guess is I painted more in 2019, but I don't keep an accurate tally. I was pretty pleased at finishing the Space Marine Battle Company that I've been slowly assembling since about 2003, but I can't remember whether that was 2019 or the beginning of 2020. I haven't included it in my list.

Of course, I know we're not competing against each other, but if we were, some people would be winning and some of us would be loosing. I posted to encourage anyone who hasn't painted much to also post - because it's likely that you've painted more than me. Being an Orc (and already red) I have no mechanism for showing embarrassment at poor performance, so am the perfect candidate for the proverbial wooden spoon here. Just in case anyone thinks that their output is too low to post about, I'm here to say - there's no such thing as too low!

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2021, 02:06:45 AM »
You mentioned using enamels, and I have heard from painters (off and on) that such can take a bit long to dry (of course, not like oils). What wait time do you experience? I wonder if you have a lot in production at once, so that working on a particular color across a group of minis, you return to #1 and find the paint dry ready to switch to another color?
I use enamels and they don't take THAT long to dry.  Generally speaking, I'll usually paint 24 15mm figures in a batch.  When I get to the end of the batch with one colour I'll generally paint another colour before going back to paint over the same colour, as that will give enough time (30 minutes or so) for the first colour to dry.

For example, I've just now  painted some busby-bags red and want to paint the white piping around the edge.  I've stopped to have a coffee and browse the forum.  By the time this coffee is finished I'll be able to stick on some white piping.

That said, if I'm just blocking on dark colours, or highlights of the same shade I'll just go straight to the start of the batch and carry on.  It's only the pale colours and details where I leave a bit of drying-time, in order to stop bleed-through.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »

Real life certainly impacts your painting some years. In 2018 I painted 21 figures as I essentially didn't paint for most of the year.  No matter how many you finish, hopefully you are having fun at it.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2021, 12:20:16 AM »
I've gotten about 122 28mm painted, though several were larger minis (dragons and giants) along with several smaller ones (a few halflings and goblins). 4 warmachines that I still need to find crew for (2 WizKids Catapults and 2 of their ballista). A few minis that could count for more than 1 (Such as the stacked mouslings from one of the Reaper Christmas sets)...and some of them were a complete Reaper Nativity that I added a base piece to)

I've gotten a handful of terrain pieces done, some as more of display things for setting minis on that can be used for terrain, and a lot of boneyard pieces.

I'd also stalled out on one of my major projects on trying to do some older Mantic Undead because a friend gave me a pile and there weren't bases with them (He'd actually found them in an estate sale and remembered that I'd done a LOT of them in the past, so bought me the chunk of them that had a few partially assembled, but largely carefully removed from the sprues and boxed up after being cleaned up...I assembled a couple ghouls from it since I'd found a few of the Mantic round bases, but those are a pain to find and ordering more is currently not something I'm wanting to deal with due to international shipping issues.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2021, 09:43:23 PM »
870 all 28mm. Including 150 cavalry, 8 camels and 4 elephants.

And I restored a broken porcelain doll for a lady friend.... :-)
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline alcal

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2021, 11:25:15 PM »
Your output is commendable. I noticed your paint comment in the thread where you showed recent Prussians. You mentioned using enamels, and I have heard from painters (off and on) that such can take a bit long to dry (of course, not like oils). What wait time do you experience? I wonder if you have a lot in production at once, so that working on a particular color across a group of minis, you return to #1 and find the paint dry ready to switch to another color?

Hi yeh 30 -40 figures dry out before i get back to the first one, with the prussians i was batching 90-120 at a time.
Remember though i was only putting one shade on each area pre wash.
 Cheers AL
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:27:19 PM by alcal »