Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:35:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686501
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): What's the situation for customers and traders?  (Read 79367 times)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
Re: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): Lack of information from traders
« Reply #285 on: April 27, 2021, 05:17:35 PM »

I'm interested in what will happen for sales via eBay as regs change throughout this year.  I've just been quoted an £11 VAT and processing fee by eBay for a £25 'buy-it-now' item - at first I thought it was postage but a double check shows postage was on top of this - end up nearly double the cost to order via eBay.

This happens:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&amp;st=2&amp;pos=2&amp;query=Paying%20tax%20on%20eBay%20purchases&amp;intent=tax

Nothing is changing for UK VAT throughout this year - the UK VAT reg came into force on Jan 1st and are entirely separate and functionally quite different from the forthcoming EU VAT regs.

Edit: Should add, it seems that EBay's Global Shipping Program isn't as user friendly for buyers. I think that's what you experienced. If the seller doesn't use the Global Shipping Plaform, you see the net price including UK VAT when browsing Ebay. With the GSP, you only see the VAT at checkout.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 06:00:35 PM by Andrew Rae »

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #286 on: April 29, 2021, 11:51:39 PM »
This happens:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&amp;st=2&amp;pos=2&amp;query=Paying%20tax%20on%20eBay%20purchases&amp;intent=tax

Nothing is changing for UK VAT throughout this year - the UK VAT reg came into force on Jan 1st and are entirely separate and functionally quite different from the forthcoming EU VAT regs.

Edit: Should add, it seems that EBay's Global Shipping Program isn't as user friendly for buyers. I think that's what you experienced. If the seller doesn't use the Global Shipping Plaform, you see the net price including UK VAT when browsing Ebay. With the GSP, you only see the VAT at checkout.

I would have thought that:
If additional tax is applicable on your eBay purchase, you'll see this indicated on the listing page and the tax amount will be shown on the checkout page, before you pay.
should show zero so I dropped the sale.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2021, 07:26:15 AM »
Why would it be zero?

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #288 on: June 04, 2021, 07:19:53 AM »
After six months and several (small) orders from UK companies, my experience with customs has been positive. Or at least, not a terror story. I have put six orders, plus one Kickstarter, with manufacturers in the UK. The only order that was charged customs was the KS, and it was a big order (184 GBP), so I assumed it would be charged. I paid 47.10 euros in taxes and extra postal charges, which was, more or less, what I had calculated/expected.

That is the positive part. The negative? Well, that some smaller companies in the UK will, probably, stop supplying their EU customers from 1st July, when the new system of VAT charging is implemented. According to some of the owners I have been talking to, the profits will not, at the present, compensate the costs and headaches of selling in the EU. My guess is that only those companies that are VAT registered will continue selling to the EU, in the time being. Smaller ones will not find profitable registering for VAT  to sell to jjust a few chaps over here.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:22:11 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #289 on: June 04, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »
It would be strange to just stop selling to the EU completely. The scheme to allow non-EU traders to collect EU VAT is optional - if it's not used on orders under 150 Euro, VAT and a handling fee is collected from the customer prior to delivery. So some customers might still choose to order despite this. Better to have the option for the occasional customer to buy something, than to stop sales completely.

Personally, I'll be opening an Etsy shop for sales to EU customers, as online marketplaces (Etsy, Ebay and Amazon, but not Kickstarter) must collect EU VAT. It's far from ideal, and prices won't match UK and ROW prices, but EU customers will avoid the handling fee.

There's also a pay-as-you-go scheme for traders that Royal Mail are pushing. It can't currently be implemented with my webshop, but apparently it's being considered for a future update.

Finally, I'm going to remain vaguely hopeful that the UK Gov hasn't been completely negligent, and gone and signed a cooperation agreement on VAT that doesn't allow UK traders direct access to the IOSS, compared to Norway's agreement that allows Norwegian traders access. Maybe it'll all work out in the end...

Offline Kublaibenzine

• Student
« Reply #290 on: June 04, 2021, 10:25:52 AM »
I have continued buying from the UK, but it is a mixed bag here in Belgium. Some items come through with not VAT but most are hit not only with VAT but with a BPOST handling charge of EUR24 for customs clearance... a bit stiff.

It is actually more cost effective to combine your orders in order to avoid this fee.

On the positive side, books from Naval and Military Press are coming through untouched.

JP

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #291 on: June 04, 2021, 05:26:38 PM »
This year I bought only from a company in NI and there were no problems. But for friends of mine ordering in UK its like a lottery. Sometimes the order passes under the radar, somtimes the final costs increase massive.

But the German online shops I order the Uk stuff from, have great problems to get the toys want.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:28:21 PM by Wellington »
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #292 on: June 08, 2021, 07:40:14 PM »
So far  all orders  have not been hit with customs charges they have been smallish 30- 40 €, for larger orders I’ve ordered from Germany , there are still a couple of VAT registered companies who have not adjusted there shopping carts so i won’t order from them not sure what July will bring

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #293 on: June 09, 2021, 05:16:04 AM »
Iain, from Flags of War, has posted the following notice in his Facebook page:

«Hi All

I just wanted to give an update on the future situation with the EU (...)

As of Sunday 20th June, it is with huge regret I will need to stop taking orders from the EU until further notice. Currently, there is a lot of uncertainty on how we can handle the Tax Changes that come into play on 1st July 2021. I’m hoping that after a short period we will be in a better position to handle orders from the EU but currently, the solutions are way more complicated than I had first imagined. This something I do not wish to do as I have a lot of EU customers and I want to keep supporting your hobby needs.»

I do hope it is just temporary, as Flags of War is where I get most of my miniatures fix, lately. And if it affects other companies... Well, it is really odd that in time will be easier to order from the US, than from UK.  :'(

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #294 on: June 09, 2021, 08:13:46 AM »
Argh, that's really not necessary.

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #295 on: June 09, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
Not at all necessary  -the tax changes coming in July are completely optional...

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #296 on: June 09, 2021, 09:25:36 AM »
Not at all necessary  -the tax changes coming in July are completely optional...

Mike

How will affect transactions, Mike? If I am to be honest, I have not a clue (as customer, not as seller!)

Update: Iain has explained to me his reasoning, but he is hopeful everything will be clearer once the new system is up and running for a few weeks, so he will be able to resume selling to the EU. Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:53:36 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #297 on: June 09, 2021, 01:47:04 PM »
How will affect transactions, Mike? If I am to be honest, I have not a clue (as customer, not as seller!)

Update: Iain has explained to me his reasoning, but he is hopeful everything will be clearer once the new system is up and running for a few weeks, so he will be able to resume selling to the EU. Fingers crossed!

If you don't use the new system it will work as it does now with a customer paying import VAT and a handling fee.  It looks too expensive and too complicated to make it worth my while to use it.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #298 on: June 17, 2021, 10:21:42 AM »
I have been reading a bit more and it actually affects orders under 150 euros. Anything above that threshold will be deal just like now: VAT and handling fees charged at the customs (and the buyer being fleeced by the greedy hands of the State!). Under 150 euros value, VAT must be collected at the point of origin by the seller, who will transfer it to the greedy State mentioned above.

In other words: bye, bye easy commercial exchanges, welcome bureaucratic mistress!

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #299 on: June 17, 2021, 02:52:21 PM »
I have been reading a bit more and it actually affects orders under 150 euros. Anything above that threshold will be deal just like now: VAT and handling fees charged at the customs (and the buyer being fleeced by the greedy hands of the State!). Under 150 euros value, VAT must be collected at the point of origin by the seller, who will transfer it to the greedy State mentioned above.

In other words: bye, bye easy commercial exchanges, welcome bureaucratic mistress!

The option of using the IOSS system for orders under 150€, on the other hand, will just put money into the hands of EU financial representatives that non-EU businesses will have to appoint to avoid having their customers pay tax and handling fees on import. So, into the hands of greedy mercenaries! Plus tax will still go to the state. :-)
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com