Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Roswell '98: 1/72 Post Apoc (XR Bandit update)  (Read 32672 times)

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 20mm (02.13 Update)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 12:02:47 AM »
Oh seeing the plane, I need to get a 3D printer!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 20mm (02.21.21 Update)
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 08:40:37 PM »
When there’s no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

In this case, hell must be overbooked by about 20 lost souls because that’s how many zombies I’ve currently painted to populate the wastelands of Roswell.

Zombies are a staple of apocalyptic and dystopian settings. In fact, oftentimes zombies are the unrelenting obstacle in many apocalyptic stories. So, it’s natural that I need to get some for 20mm gaming. Plus, they’re used in all three games I plan to play Roswell ’98 with. There’s a Zombie Bash scenario in Gaslands where the objective is to see who can run over the most. Zona Alfa has zombies as a hostile type. Last Days…is pretty much all zombies. In fact, the necessary number to play Last Days is suggest to be 20, so that’s how many I assembled. I’ve got quite a bit more than that though.

I picked up the two sets of zombies from Dark Alliance. Each box has 4 sprues of 12 soft plastic zombies at 1:72 scale which works for 20mm. So with 48 zombies per box, I’ve got about 96 of these walkers looking to feast on the living. I want to take a moment and discuss the softness of the plastic though as my sets had a lot of flash that was hard to remove without cutting off fingers, hands, heads, etc. Some of these look like they’re wearing mittens. For the most part, I ended up leaving the flash on because as with most things in gaming, it’s actually not noticeable at arms length during game-play. These boxes are pretty cheap, I think I got each for about $15, so all in all a fantastic way to get a horde of the living dead at 20mm.

Here’s the 20 again. Where’d they come from? Maybe hell is full? Maybe there’s some space gas from the crashed UFOs? Using this setting as my tribute to cult classic films…maybe there’s a leaked canister of 2-4-5 Trioxin? <- Return of the Living Dead.

Regardless, I opted to paint the group with a limited earth tone palette. I didn’t want them to look like a collection of individuals, but more a filthy horde. I think it worked.

Our Perry Bros Dark Future duo are still looking for the President. Maybe he’s become a zed himself? The heroes will need to be careful, but they might have to shoot everything in the head to be sure.

Wait! It looks like the President, another official, and a pilot survived. These three are from Elheim’s 20mm range and come together as a set. They can be used as flags in Gaslands’ Capture the Flag scenario or objectives in Zona Alfa.

Maybe our heroes can get these civilians to safety…or perhaps they’ll join the legion of the living dead.

At this point, I’ve got a lot of hostiles done, I’ve got enough terrain (though I’ve got my eye on a few other pieces I need), I think it’s time I started arming up some of the gangs.

For more posts like this and other mini misadventures, head over to Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 08:47:17 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 04:26:55 PM »
Lovely work on those Dark Alliance Zeds!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 05:43:33 PM »
Nice work on these! 

I look forward to the games. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 09:09:01 PM »
Great job on the zombies. They do look like a proper rampaging horde.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 02:24:17 PM »
Thanks, all!
Yeah, after priming them all the flash became apparent and I lost a little enthusiasm thinking they were going to look terrible. They ended up alright though. I hear the Zombie Bash scenario in Gaslands isn't the greatest, but if I find it lots of fun I'll need to paint up some more as I think it requires 10 zeds on the table per player.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 04:11:33 PM »
The thing about zombies though, if you're trying to trim the flash and you lose a finger or two, no big deal. They're zombies!

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 11:12:01 PM »
I remember seeing a video on utube once (can't find it now) where they handled flash like that on plastic figures by running a lit lighter quickly over the flash, too fast to melt the figure but slow enough that the flash disappeared.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »
I remember seeing a video on utube once (can't find it now) where they handled flash like that on plastic figures by running a lit lighter quickly over the flash, too fast to melt the figure but slow enough that the flash disappeared.

Interesting. That seems possible. I've certainly got enough of these figs I can afford a couple test subjects...

Cheers!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 04:14:44 PM »
That could work. With every Red Box you definitely get a handful of figures that don't need to make it out alive. Might as well take a lighter to a few! You certainly can't file them off. The plastic is too soft for that to be of much use. I carefully trimmed them with a razor or snipped with flush cutters where I could. Even so, they weren't perfect. I think that is just something you have to be ok with when you buy a bazillion figures on the cheap! lol

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2021, 05:10:36 PM »
Interesting. That seems possible. I've certainly got enough of these figs I can afford a couple test subjects...

Cheers!

I've seen this work. Other option is the back of a scalper (not blade side) - still enough to scrape but not sharp enough to cut into the model

I love your recent stuff pal, excellent

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 05:53:32 PM »
Thanks!

I've got an order of copplestone gaslands figs hung up with a supplier somewhere in the world... Brexit, recent UK Lockdowns, and recent Texas winter weather have all conspired to prevent the goods from getting to me.

I do have the highway patrol as I've shown, so I can at least get to work on that group.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2021, 06:18:07 PM »
The Highway Patrol Part I

The first gang has arrived in the badlands of Roswell and of course, it’s the law….or is it?

Like others, I sometimes fancy the idea of post apocalyptic gangs to be basically cosplayers. It’s also fitting for the genre and brings to mind all the themed gangs in dystopian films like The Warriors. However, I think for my games, they will be law enforcement. I’m setting these games to be not in full blown apocalypse, but more “teetering on the edge” like the first Mad Max film. There is some level of degrading civilization, but the surrounding badlands are chaotic. Also, my Gaslands vehicles aren’t going to be in the gonzo style of Fury Road, but more like something you’d see in a Cannon Film or 70s/80s straight-to-video, B-movie. Some old cars with a few bits added on to come in under budget. The hood gun on the Camaro reminds me of a WWI bi-plane. True, it may impede the driver’s vision, but…Rule of Cool!

Another note about my vehicle selection. Since my games are set in an alternate 1998, I’m only sourcing vehicles that were real pre-1998 cars. The two I’ve used for the Highway patrol are a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro and a 1995 Ford Bronco. Both by Greenlight. Greenlight toy cars are true 1:64, so the 20mm Northstar Gaslands and Citadel Dark Future drivers and passengers fit much better than they would in a Hot Wheel. The Camaro is driven by a Northstar Gaslands model, while the Bronco has a Northstar Gaslands shotgun rider with a Citadel driver and cab gunner.

Even with the better sized fit, I had to make some modifications. The Gaslands Driver had to be chopped at the stomach to fit in the Camaro. The Citadel Driver, on the right, was a decent fit, but I had to remove the bottom of the steering wheel.

The Law Rides. Bringing the law to the lawless, and lifeless, in the badlands of Roswell ’98.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 08:15:05 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 20mm (03.18.21 Update)
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2021, 08:28:40 PM »
Bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do when they come for you?? Lookin awesome!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 20mm (03.18.21 Update)
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2021, 08:36:49 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Filmed on location!