Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:52:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686666
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Roswell '98: 1/72 Post Apoc (XR Bandit update)  (Read 32701 times)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 20mm (03.18.21 Update)
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2021, 06:15:42 AM »
Nice work  8)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Deserter

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2021, 10:51:13 AM »
Absolutely loving this project! I love the inspiration and the theme that you're going for and I love the forces that you've done so far! I even went and bought a set of the zombies for my eventual Gaslands project!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2021, 12:33:15 PM »
Thanks!

Yeah, those Dark Alliance zombies are such a great deal. One of the joys of 20mm gaming...much cheaper than 28-32mm. I’d love to see what you do with them.

I’ve added a motorcycle to my highway patrol. I’ll do up some better pics soon.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2021, 11:31:32 PM »
Roswell ’98: The Highway Patrol On Foot

We’re finally getting to the meat of this project, those sweet Perry and Copplestone 20mm near future, dystopian figures.

This project is a labour of love for those old Dark Future minis. Above are the four I have for this Highway Patrol gang. Well, there’s also the driver and cab gunner in the Ford Bronco from the other Highway Patrol post. The lady with trench-coat and pistol is included with the Highway Patrol as the perfect partner to another model in the gang, maybe a Scully and Mulder type duo? For the officers, I’ve always dug their retro look in what was, at the time, future setting. Dark Future was released in 1988, but set in a broken America of the late 90s.

I always wondered if the the Alan Perry sculpted police were influenced by Walter Hill’s rock’n’roll fable, Streets of Fire. The sculpts look a lot like the officers in that cult classic. If you haven’t checkout out Streets of Fire, do yourself a favor and screen it sometime. It’s sorta set in this weird dystopian era, but dystopian 50s? 80s? the future? It’s hard to tell and not really clear. Great soundtrack as well playing over a cast that includes a young Diane Lane, Rick Moranis, Bill Paxton, Williem Defoe, and Robert Townsend. It also inspired the Final Fight franchise of video games.

Anyway, enough about movies. I am very appreciative that Mark Copplestone sculpted up the Implements of Carnage Highway Patrol models for Northstar (above) in very much the same style. Over 30 years rests between these sets of minis, but they mesh together beautifully. I like the not-Deckard guy in the trench-coat. He’s perfect to lead the Patrol on investigations into the goings-ons around Roswell. On the ends are a pair of dogs I picked up from Elheim, also a decent source for 20mm models.

I probably should have included the officer on motorcycle with the car and truck post as these three can be used in Gaslands as a group. If using sponsors, clearly, they’re the ‘Highway Patrol’.

For games of Zona Alfa, I intend these models to run as the ‘Military’ gang.
Looks like the Patrol has found itself in a bit of a bind with the living dead having picked up their warmth!

Hang on not-Deckard and Co…the cavalry is on its way!

A few parting shots of the complete gang…

…and the gang parked at home in its magnetic storage below.

This wraps up my first complete gang for this project. I’m really pleased with how the collection came together. I wasn’t sure how the conversion of the vehicles would go, but I’m really glad I went with those Greenlights as having the truck, car, motorcycle, and foot models all to scale with one another is a really neat visual that I didn’t have in my original games of Dark Future back in the day.

I’ve got a few other gangs in the queue, but might work on a few more terrain/objective pieces first. We need more to battle around than just rocks and airplanes.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 11:12:35 AM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 20mm (03.31.21 Update)
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2021, 02:39:46 AM »
Excellent work again!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2021, 02:48:24 AM »
A really nice job on a very cohesive gang both on foot and in vehicle.  They look great on the table facing off the zombie horde.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2021, 10:24:36 AM »
Beautiful job mate, these are really really ace

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2021, 01:55:27 PM »
 Looking great 👍🏼
Particularly like the ‘law’ 😉
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2021, 03:50:34 PM »
Thanks for checking it out and for all the kind comments, all. This is a passion project atm, with all other projects on hold. It's exciting to me to be able to finally realize this sort of setting at this scale and the fact that they look better than anything I had done in the past is just icing. I started this with the desire to collect and work on those old Citadel Dark Future models, and will continue to build out that collection as I can, but tbh, these Copplestone figures are _really_ nice! I feel they're much easier to paint. A great surprise!

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2021, 10:29:11 AM »
Those look great.
And I agree Copplestone figures invite a good paint job.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2021, 11:17:46 PM »
*sniff*

I feel so proud...

Doug

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2021, 04:44:46 PM »
Nice gang there. 

I loved the cop on motorcycle model, it evoked Streets of Fire immediately in my mind. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2021, 02:02:47 PM »
*sniff*

I feel so proud...

Doug

ha! Thanks again for the models! I should have some more to show in the next week or two.

@Easy E and @Dentatus thanks for the compliments!

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2021, 12:56:05 AM »
Wow somebody remembers Streets of Fire!   Yes, great flick, I wholeheartedly recommend it.    If you want to have some sort of Dystopian oasis (sort of) from which your heroes venture into the wasteland, this one will give you the look and feel of what that could be like.  There's food, and a little culture, but things aren't great.
For former content of mine, search my former user ID kalebdaark:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4831

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2021, 02:27:13 PM »
The Cult of Roswell

Next into the badlands…those with the vision of Roswell’s significance in the world. Its desert is a siren call to terrestrials and those that are not…

The Children of Roswell (or Cult of Roswell depending on who’s talking) – the CoR – is made up of misguided souls who see the repeated visitor landings as the forward to an upcoming invasion and this lot is throwing themselves in with the invaders. Acolytes cover themselves in grey body paint while the more senior members go fully robed and a bit more garish in the classiest UFO kitsch tradition.

I wanted to do something a bit different with the Northstar Copplestone Gaslands Wasteland Warriors and the Dark Future Robed Cultists. Both sets of models have a clear theme attached – Warboys and Jawas – and the models are usually painted as so online. As my games of Gaslands and Zona Alfa are taking place in a homebrew setting, I attempted to join these two sects of models into a cult that would fit the narrative…worshipping the visitors…or at least the idea of them…

Here’s the set of Copplestone sculpted minis with a female added from the Dark Alliance Stalkers set. She was originally a not-Laura Croft mini, but I did my best to cut away her hair to give her that bald head. She looks kinda rough close up, but passes the 3-feet test.

On the Perry Citadel side of the gang, we’ve got four robed cultists and two other bald street warriors that both sport bandanas so fit the overall look of the gang perfectly. I see these two (on the ends) as a little more senior than the Copplestone baldies. The robed cultist are certainly calling the shots here, with the pistol one the overall leader in my mind.

The vehicles were deliberately chosen for this UFO worshipping set. In respect for the first flying saucer crash in Roswell back in 1947, these are military vehicles from the 1940s; a 1941 Military Half Ton truck, and a 1942 Willys Jeep. Both from Greenlight. The motorcycle is the oldest looking one from the Citadel motorcycle set.

The Truck and jeep drivers and riders are from the Copplestone Gaslands range. The Truck drivers can hardly be seen with its small windows, but eh, worth the effort to paint.

For the jeep, I tossed in some rockets and stuff in the back to give them a careless/crazy vibe. Plus, in games of Gaslands, this gang would use The Warden sponsorship rules (though a different theme, obviously) and part of that gangs perks is ‘FIREWORKS’ where the player gets bonus audience votes if the vehicle explodes. Perfect.

The motorcycle rider is a conversion from a Citadel robed cultist. Though there were several motorcycle riders in the Citadel line, there wasn’t a cultist one. I cut the model in half and covered the joining area with the green stuff robe. I’m pretty bad at the stuff but i think the robe came out alright. Also. the shotgun rider in the jeep was cut in half and twisted so he could shoot out the right side. I covered his torso with green stuff “bandages”. It works for me.

Though the CoR are cultists in reverence to “the skinnies” (Roswell ’98 slang for the aliens), they have no qualms about killing them. Here they’re trying to make off with a corpse but the skinny leader isn’t having it. These models will be used in Zone Alfa as the Cultist gang for players obviously and can even be used as cultist adversaries on the hostiles charts. With or without extraterrestrial allies in the mix.

This lone lawman rode too far outside his jurisdiction and straight into CoR territory.

Aggressive negotiations in the badlands of Roswell ’98.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 02:47:45 PM by Jack Hooligan »