Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:07:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689840
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Spacehulk  (Read 9776 times)

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
Spacehulk
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:16:40 AM »
Is anyone going to buy the new Spacehulk? I probably will, even though it is $165 (Australia). I believe it is the same rules with new minis, tiles etc.

I was hoping to buy it through Maelstrom games (cheaper than GW), but they have not listed it or I just can not find it on their site (they also have not responded to an email).

TT.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:22:59 AM by Terrible Tim »
...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: Spacehulk
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 07:02:07 AM »
I believe it's a Mail Order only thing so you can only order it directly from GW (please correct me if I'm wrong). I have the 2nd edition so I'm passing this one up. Though the rules can't be completely the same as there are lots of new weapons in this set compared to 2nd ed. (lightning claws, assault cannon, thunder hammer, and of course a librarian and a broodlord).
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 07:58:52 AM »
They will be available this weekend at most hobby stores in the US, or at least those that ordered them. MY LGS is getting 30 copies, and 23 have been accounted for already. They also received a store copy a week ago. The terminator miniatures are simply amazing! I will be getting at least 3 copies (yes, I know, I have a sickness!) The rules look very similar to the earlier editions. The map tiles and counters are outstanding.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »
Probably cheaper to buy a used version of Ebay...The price on that "limited run" is out and out robbery, considering there will be absoultly no offical support for the game.

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:54:15 AM »
Have second edition , having seen a copy at GW shop , think it is worth the money , nice figs, beautiful embossed card scenery , good "game in a box" so will probably get the new addition. :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »
From what I read, this edition is more closely based on 1st Ed rather than 2nd Ed.

The figs are very nice, and the card pices look good too. But it is quite pricey. I guess the company that shall not be named is thinking that 40k players, especially BA and tyrannid players, will just pick it up anyway.

And many of us will. Me too, cashflow permitting, my Blood Angels need some funky Terminators...

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »
if this was priced somewhat reasonably, I'd get it, but now...

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »
What's the Euro price for it? Is there a way of using currency fluctuations to get a better price (either UK to Eurozone, or the other way round)?

It 'should' be about E75 (sorry, can't seem to get my Euro sign to work) if it's £60, I reckon.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 01:02:29 PM »
Maelstrom had it up for pre-order for a while, but they only had limited 'stock', (many retailers have only been able to order 10-15 copies) so it disappeared pretty quickly.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »
It is something I havent played for many a year and if I were to get back into it I would personally wait for the old versions to pop back up on e-bay, I bet they will come thick and fast from the old diehards otr those trying to cash in :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 01:45:24 PM »
I saw a copy in the Oxford St GW the other day and thought the Genestealers were a bit of a cop-out. The are moulded in two parts horizontally across the head, so not very easy to use for conversions etc. The termies looked quite nice though.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »
What's the Euro price for it? Is there a way of using currency fluctuations to get a better price (either UK to Eurozone, or the other way round)?

It 'should' be about E75 (sorry, can't seem to get my Euro sign to work) if it's £60, I reckon.

I think the official euro price is €78, about 10 euros more than the equivalent of 60 quid (which is €68.14 at the moment). I think the game is pretty good value, the card pieces seem high quality (like Fantasy Flight Games) and the equivalent models for 40k would be more expensive than this boxed set. So basically I think it's a lot of money for a good quality miniatures board game. Even though I'm not getting it some friends are and of course I want give this edition a spin. 8)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 02:30:11 PM »
I think the price is pretty competitive with other board games when you consider what you get. Has anyone checked the price of high-end board games lately? All of those wonderful components cost money.  Also, Space Hulk is not a game that needs  a lot of support. You can get hundreds of hours of play out of one set, or by combining 2 sets. Anyway, I don't think the price is unreasonable, and this bears out when you look at the anecdotal evidence. My FLGS ordered 20 copies and pre-sold all 20.

Now getting a second batch is iffy. Is a $100 a significant sum? Yes. But having seen the components, you get what you pay for. And oh yes, the timer is back!

Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »
AT £65 bucks for 30 minis thats roughly the same price as their normal figure sets.

Offline Renfield286

• Librarian
  • War, War never changes...
    • Renfield in 28mm
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
its 35 minis.

and despite the fact that the Genestealers are carting around bits of bulkhead on their bases (all integral scenic)
you are still getting a good deal from it.

Probably cheaper to buy a used version of Ebay...The price on that "limited run" is out and out robbery

Considering that there are 11 Terminators (priced at £25 for 5 plastics on their own)
1 Terminator librarian (£12 for the metal equivalent, but as an alternative plastic sculpt)
22 Genestealers (£15 for a box of 8 plastics)
+ 1 Broodlord (again £12 for the metal equivalent, but as an alternative plastic sculpt)

plus the rulebooks and the dice and the board
if GW were going by their normal pricing methods, they could charge double and still have these figures cheaper as part of this box.

the fact that they are selling this for less than half of what they normally would charge shows they are doing this one for the fans i think.
Plus they are undercutting what 2nd ed tends to go for on the bay.
and from what i have seen at my local GW, it is basically 1st ed with more weapons and a few rules tweaks

considering there will be absoultly no offical support for the game.

What support do you want? its a board game, and an errata version of 1st ed at that
also, if you want more missions, i'm sure that White Dwarf will be publishing more rules to add stuff into the game over the coming months. plus, the fan support will be impressive too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:04:46 PM by Renfield286 »