Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:34:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark human questions  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Oathmark human questions
« on: February 19, 2021, 01:44:26 PM »

I just bought a box of Oathmark human and I have a few questions about their use in Oathmark rules (Which I don’t own yet)

1. can I base the figures on round bases (25mm), I’ll then put them on Renedra movement tray.
2. how big are "units" in the rules? 10, 20 or 30 figures?
3, I was thinking of separate units for missile troops and melee weapons… in the rules, can men from the same units have spears and swords?

Cheers!
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Oathmark human questions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 01:55:23 PM »
1) Yes, no problem at all.
2) Infantry max 20, Cavalry max 10, Ogre-sized max 3. For Human infantry I like units of 15-20 to get some rank bonuses.
3) No, it needs to be clear if the unit is Spearmen (spear, shield, light armour) or Soldiers (hand weapon, shield, light armour). A few models with the wrong equipment doesn't matter though.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 02:40:06 PM »

Thanks for the reply. So, out of a box, I could build a unit of 20 swordmen and a unit of 10 archers, right?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 02:46:39 PM »
Yep, that's a good start in my opinion. If you want to play some really small point games you could then break up the swordsmen into two units of 10 to get another activation.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 03:56:15 PM »
Yup, lovely box of models.
I’ve got undreds of the buggers!

Looking forward to the Human Cavalry box too.

As above, units of infantry in ranks 5 wide up to 20 max.
Mine too are on round bases with a sabot.
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
Wrt to question #3, there is some leeway. The unit just has to be identifiable as such, but Oathmark doesn’t really establish what is heavy versus light armor. Elven chainmail is apparently on the same level as studded leather jacket.

I am doing things this way: bread and butter units I make all of a type except, perhaps, for one or two special figures who can be declared champions in a pinch.

For my heavier units (linebreakers and warriors), I make about half of them two handed weapons and no shield and the other half one handed weapons and a shield, all with chainmail or better armor. The front ranks of the unit determine what it is and that should be good enough for any friendly opponent, unless you are using both warriors and linebreakers.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 09:03:36 PM »
I also use the front-rank principle: the unit is, what the miniatures in the front rank are supposed to be, the equipment of the other ranks doesn't matter. This way is army building much more flexible.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 09:23:29 PM »
The front rank approach is a sensible one, especially because casualties are removed from the back rank anyway. That said, I do enjoy it when I have enough figures with the correct equipment to field a complete unit!

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 08:14:31 AM »
I know Ogrob completely answered your questions - but I do have some photographs...
I just bought a box of Oathmark human and I have a few questions about their use in Oathmark rules (Which I don’t own yet)

1. can I base the figures on round bases (25mm), I’ll then put them on Renedra movement tray.
2. how big are "units" in the rules? 10, 20 or 30 figures?
3, I was thinking of separate units for missile troops and melee weapons… in the rules, can men from the same units have spears and swords?

Cheers!

I am using Renedra 25mm round bases for compatibility with Frostgrave (my initial armies were all cold weather - though I have started an odyssey in warmer climes) and the Renedra sabot bases for Oathmark.

Bonuses are gained from the number of ranks in a unit (and making them more robust)
For human sized figures a rank is five figures (hence the sabot base size above) and a human sized unit can have a maximum of four ranks.

Larger figures on 50mm bases have three figures in a rank and can only have one rank.

You can only have four units of a particular species/weapon combination - so you can have four Human Spearmen, four human archers, four human soldiers etc.

This is not as limiting as you might think, because Oathmark armies are "National" rather than "Species".

The Army of the Wraith-Pixie Alliance
Rather than having a dwarf army, you have an army from a kingdom/dukedom/anarcho-syndicalist commune.
Your kingdom might have a human capital city, dwarfs in the northern hills, goblins in the western mountains and elves in the forests by the sea. You decide on the initial composition of your Kingdom, and that defines the availability of specific units.

A unit fights with one weapon type and has one defence type (and one activation number - that of their 'officer', so a unit of elves who have a Goblin General in their unit activate as a Goblin).

So a unit is Elf Spears or Elf Soldiers.

I think that most people would allow the "Front Rank Defines The Unit" subset of WYSIWYG.

Can you spot the odd two out?

There is a minimum point size for armies (some armies are extremely brittle at that point level).

Human Army (ranks rounded down)

TypeRanks
Soldier3
Spearman2
Archer4

Elf Ranger Army (complete, no really same points value)

Four ranks (and change) of Elf Rangers.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:22:56 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »
Thanks all for the replies!

As soon as I’ve read the reply from Ogrob, I started building the figures in the box… I’ve done a unit of 20 "swordsmen" which include an officer and a standard bearer (as well as 2 figures with axe and one with a mace).

I’ve also built a 10 figures unit of bowmen, again with an officer and a standard bearer. The figures are individually based on 25mm round bases and I put them on 3 10 figures sabot (like the skeleton Ultravanillasmurf showed above).

I think I’ll paint them ASAP and I will try to sell them… so I could buy more ;)

I too, look forward the release of Human Cavalry… Are they supposed to release Dwarf Cavalry as well?

Cheers!

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 03:29:21 PM »
I too, look forward the release of Human Cavalry… Are they supposed to release Dwarf Cavalry as well?
As I know, its not planned, but I would love to use a unit of these:
http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2021/01/fireforge-games-fantasy-forgotten-world.html?m=1
Here I made a little summary of the future releases:
https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/2021/01/25-future-of-oathmark.html?m=1