Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:19:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690834
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: More releases for Oathmark? Plastic Human light infantry  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
More releases for Oathmark? Plastic Human light infantry
« on: July 24, 2023, 10:05:55 PM »
The last plastic release for Oathmark was Goblin Slaves which if I remember correctly was November 2022.

If I also remember correctly we as a group had identified (what is now) one example of unused putative box art (human militia).

I can also understand that Our Gracious Host might have good commercial reasons not to advertise their intentions.

So:
a) will there be any future plastic releases?
b) (and unleash the dogs of froth) what would we like?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 08:37:04 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Will there be any more plastic releases for Oathmark?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 10:53:58 PM »
Yes, should be coming. Sculptor has confirmed on Facebook that he is working on upcoming kits. It does feel like North Star maybe slowed down plastc releases a little bit, but they are up to three games with plastic kits now plus Silver Bayonette competing for sculptor time.

So, of the top of my head, elves need two kits, humans two as well, and orcs need their heavy infantry. Goblins and dwarves are done. Beyond that I think I saw Nick mention plastic ogres but who knows? Personally I am impatiently waiting for the orc heavy infantry kit, and quite keen to see how the human heavy infantry turn out as well.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 04:05:46 AM »
I am a big fan of the North Star Oathmark plastic kits and definitely hope to see more. Just as I like the Frostgrave and Stargrave plastic kits. They all go so well together. Oathmark plastics have been replacing my GW Middle Earth figures for awhile now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 10:35:49 AM by Grumpy Gnome »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 10:14:03 AM »
North Star has done a fantastic job with plastic Oathmark kits - enormously kitbashable and really useful for so many different periods. Really hope to see more.

Can't help but feel Oathmark the ruleset has died a bit as the creator departed the game early in its life cycle. A shame, as it had potential for sure.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 09:10:09 PM by Knight-Captain Tyr »
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 01:24:50 PM »
But did he?

There are currently 3 expansions to the game available, with the last having been published in 2021, a mere two years ago.

But with all the other titles/ranges he's been working on, I can imagine Oathmark has been pushed down the queu a bit. Especially since titles like Frostgrave are way more popular. Also, if I understand correctly, the author is more of a roleplayer than a wargamer, and that has basically always been his angle. Also; he does have an ezine with extra rules for all of his games, including Oathmark.

So I'd be confident that there will be new content. Eventually...

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 04:34:19 PM »
But did he?

There are currently 3 expansions to the game available, with the last having been published in 2021, a mere two years ago.

But with all the other titles/ranges he's been working on, I can imagine Oathmark has been pushed down the queu a bit. Especially since titles like Frostgrave are way more popular. Also, if I understand correctly, the author is more of a roleplayer than a wargamer, and that has basically always been his angle. Also; he does have an ezine with extra rules for all of his games, including Oathmark.

So I'd be confident that there will be new content. Eventually...

Sadly he's been pretty open on Facebook about the system now being in Osprey's hands, and for them to progress as/if they see fit.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 05:14:29 PM »
Ah, that explains that then, as I don't Facebook  ::)

And it stands to reason that Osprey will capitalize on those titles that do best. So Oathmark probably is on the backburner...

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 06:30:03 PM »
Hopefully the Oathmark figures continue to do well for North Star, whatever game we use them for.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 07:22:06 PM »
Admittedly I spend more time assembling Oathmark/Frostgrave kits than actually painting them (they are great fun for Oathmark/Dragon Rampart as well as Frostgrave/Five Leagues armies/war bands/opponents).

I am pleased to hear that the sculptor is still working on items for the range, hopefully this thread has reminded us (and North Star) that this is a range which we would like to see continue to grow.

The author was contracted for the rules and the three supplements.
He delivered most of the things that are required for a rule set (I am sure we all have "obviously important "and "why are they not in the rules" things).

What prompted my question was my attempt at populating the Ice-Heart Court lists from Five Leagues from the Borderlands where the unarmoured, light and medium armoured fey are covered by the existing Oathmark Elves. Heavy (for an elven value of heavy) armour is the only part of the list to fill (Goblins are the only non-Oathmark/Frostgrave figure in that list as the ShieldWolf ones match the Goblin description better).

So on a personal note, Elven Heavy infantry is top of my wish list (you have seen my converted  Elven cavalry, and Human Heavy and light infantry can be covered by other ranges).

It is a pity that Spiral Arms' fantasy artillery kickstarter choked so very early on (if anyone is thinking of doing artillery, a more "realistic" and generic look would be good, together with arms for the associated combatants).

So keep posting what you are doing with the Oathmark figures, and only some mild wishlisting ^__^.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 07:44:25 PM »
I think if you ignore the Oathmark part of it, they're still rather good generic fantasy plastic kits --- something that is pretty sparse in the gaming community, particularly the low-fantasy space.

I don't play Oathmark, but even I have several boxes of their miniatures I use for other games, both wargames and skirmish wargames, etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 08:03:15 PM »
So, from my table the Oathmark demihuman models are some of the best in production at the moment. I have 2024 earmarked for a big Lion/Dragon Rampant project where I use the Footsore Baron's War models for two historic human warbands, but have the Oathmark plastic demihuman units on hand to flex the games into Dragon Rampant. I have all the Footsore metals and was waiting on getting the Oathmark plastics and metals next year...but this thread has me thinking I should get them sooner rather than later...

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 09:46:02 PM »
Well Jack, I would suggest getting the boxes soon - if there are sales it could persuade North Star to persist with/expand the range.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2023, 09:56:10 PM »
I think if you ignore the Oathmark part of it, they're still rather good generic fantasy plastic kits --- something that is pretty sparse in the gaming community, particularly the low-fantasy space.

This, for me, is the key thing. They're great miniatures and endlessly kitbashable.

I've played Oathmark two or three times, but never with Oathmark miniatures. On the other hand, I've used Oathmark miniatures in HOTT, Hobgoblin and Kings of War - and in D&D, RuneQuest and The Fantasy Trip.

Also, does a relatively complete wargame need new rules or books to keep it going? I'd have thought that further kits would be the thing most likely to keep Oathmark (the game) alive.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2023, 10:01:08 PM »
Not to derail the thread, but the "supported game" argument is a whole thread in its own.  I do understand a company not "completing" a line of models which would make playing the game easier - but I've never given a shart about a game being "supported".

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 08:13:23 AM »
Also, does a relatively complete wargame need new rules or books to keep it going? I'd have thought that further kits would be the thing most likely to keep Oathmark (the game) alive.
You make a very good point.

However, Oathmark has two parents - Osprey for the rules and North Star for the figures. Though there is an income from the figure line, Osprey is a book publisher so their interest is likely to be new book sales.

If they withdraw their support, then North Star would not have the "Oathmark" name to hang on the figures and the market for generic fantasy figures is crowded and limited.

Now how many people buy the figures for Oathmark rather than for other games is not known to me, but the brand has a value because you are buying a range of figures that are a known quantity. There might not be the impetus for more plastic figures without that branding.

Ghost Archipelago is an example of  a useful range of figures (I am still finding uses for the Sailors) that did not continue after the books ended. I was hoping for a generic plastic set of the Ancients style figures for Cities of Bronze.

There is also the marketing effect of a new book - if written well it prompts new purchases, not only of any new supporting figures but of the original books.

A rule set that is out of print is not attractive to new players and without the influx of new players a game will die.
How many people are playing sixth edition (it was on the way out when seventh edition came out - it is such a long time ago, I cannot even remember the name of the WRG rule set).

The existing sprues are branded Oathmark, and if the Osprey/North Star arrangement on this range was to (even amicably) cease there would be an effect.

For an example of another (more extreme) example of this, look at The Walking Dead: All Out War. When that licence was mutually dissolved, the figures were withdrawn from sale.

Now there could be a reversion clause, the figures reverting to North Star, there would be a cost in altering the moulds which might undermine their viability, and adding any additional plastic figures to their new "generic not-Oathmark" range.

Now I am definitely not suggesting the "subscription" model as used by a number of other companies (even if it does fund new models) but I would buy a second edition if that contained the key rule additions from the three supplements plus new rules for buildings. But only after a suitable period of time.