Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:49:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What’s missing for 5th Century Greeks  (Read 6842 times)

Offline Samuel

• Student
What’s missing for 5th Century Greeks
« on: February 22, 2021, 07:23:13 PM »
I am thinking about commissioning a new line of 28mm miniatures for 5th century Greeks.

The main existing lines I’m aware of are:
Wargames Foundry: https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/pages/the-world-of-the-greeks
Warlord Games: https://store.warlordgames.com/search?type=product&q=Greek
Victrix: https://www.victrixlimited.com/collections/greek-ancients

My design goals for a new line would include:
As historically accurate as possible
Taking advantage of the new resin printing technology to make proportions more accurate
Greater variety within units - different helm styles, armor, differing body shapes, etc.
Representing hoplites of different levels of wealth, ranging from full bronze to no armor except the aspis and helm.
Representatives of changes over time from early Persian war to post Peloponnesian war, from different regions.
A range of stances taking into account the latest research, including low, underarm, and high attacking stances along with some resting stances.

My goal would be to have enough variety to plausibly represent any historical force from the 5th, avoiding outdated or mythological tropes.

What would you like to see in a new Greek range?  What complaints or concerns do you have about existing ranges?  Anything I should be aware of?

Obviously this is all several months out to start commissioning the 3d models.  I’m currently working on a concept art book that covers the full range of weapons, armor, stances that I want to include, so I’d love to get any input you guys can provide.

Thanks!

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: What’s missing for 5th Century Greeks
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »
Hmmm not sure there is a lot out there for the period.
How about going slightly earlier. Full Corinthian helmet and that cool extra armour on thighs and arms.

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 12:46:33 AM »
I agree with the earlier.  I would advocate for an archaic period proto-hoplite period.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 02:56:30 AM »
I agree with the earlier.  I would advocate for an archaic period proto-hoplite period.

That's a good idea.  You mean the ones with couple of throwing spears and a thrusting spear?

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 05:09:15 AM »
To make sure you know where the gaps are, there is also the First Corps range.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 11:09:51 AM »
That's a good idea.  You mean the ones with couple of throwing spears and a thrusting spear?

Yes, I have only ever seen one figure from this era.

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »

Yes:  That is what I was thinking of.  They had a good article, with even better images, in a WS&S issue some time back. 

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 07:59:59 PM »
The 5th century BC started the first day of 500 BC and ended the last day of 401 BC, so that is a lot of turf that has been covered by almost every figure manufacturer.
If you are talking 6th century then that is a different period of heavy hoplites (as already stated the ones with throwing and thrusting spears, and arm and thigh armor).
What's really missing for 5th Century Greeks is some Persian types that get overlooked like Ionians and Lydian marines and Sacae at Marathon which seem to never get done except as light archers. Plus there is still room for many oddball Persian cavalry- Sagartians with lassos? There is probably some crossover between the heavy hoplites and the Persian Wars, but still there are plenty of figures available in bell cuirrasses.

Talos (Yannis Katsanakis) posted some of his 6th-5th century Classical Greeks recently as an example of his highly detailed sculpts of real fancy armored hoplites. So more of that is always welcome, and a good guide post of what future resin sculpts should aspire to.

https://www.puttyandpaint.com/Talos
JJonas

Offline Samuel

• Student
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 12:47:34 AM »
I appreciate the feedback guys.  I think I’m set on 5th century, because the models go along with other work I’m doing on the Persian and Peloponnesian Wars.  Thanks for the link to The Talos models.  That is very much in line with what I’m thinking.

I will look into Ionians and Lydians if I can find good reference material.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 09:11:10 AM »
Here's some cool versions of Persian Saka and Phoenician Marines at Marathon. These Sakas at least look like they mean business.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 10:03:12 PM »
I appreciate the feedback guys.  I think I’m set on 5th century, because the models go along with other work I’m doing on the Persian and Peloponnesian Wars.  Thanks for the link to The Talos models.  That is very much in line with what I’m thinking.

I will look into Ionians and Lydians if I can find good reference material.
Im always glad when I see people aiming for historical accuracy! Here you can find my minis https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=128151.0
and here is my wip thread. https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=117693.msg1637290#msg1637290

Unfortunately for the time being an injury holds me back from my program but Im always happy to exchange ideas on the subject.  :)

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 09:20:28 AM »
How about a few sculpts of the humble sphendonetos holding his sling properly(retention loop over middle finger and release cord between thumb and index finger) rather than the usual ham fisted grasp found on 100% of slingers from every period. Maybe also with some dynamic poses?!

Probably not very glamerous, but at least it is historically accurate!

Offline Samuel

• Student
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 06:07:52 PM »
Jeff, what book are those from?  I hadn’t seen them.

Eoin, great suggestion.  I’ve been thinking about auxiliary troops as well.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 06:59:48 PM by Samuel »

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 09:48:52 PM »
Jeff, what book are those from?  I hadn’t seen them.

Eoin, great suggestion.  I’ve been thinking about auxiliary troops as well.
These are from Periskopio Publications, Stratiotike Istoria (Millitary History). The art is by Christos Giannopoulos. I would take some of his illustrations with a grain of salt when it comes to historical authenticity. Most of these were created too fast (and payed too cheap) to be considered properly researched.

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »
I think there is more need for the people around the Greeks, like Scythians, Traciansm Illyrians, Kolchis etc. then for further Greeks.

I miss especially Scythian Infantry (both with bow and Javelins), early Tracians Noble cavaly and people around the Black Sea compatible with the Foundry miniatures.
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!