Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:52:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Modern french army - 28mm  (Read 13074 times)

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
Modern french army - 28mm
« on: March 02, 2021, 08:55:09 AM »
Hi guys,

As a french player, I'm interested on playing a french army for modern and hypothetical conflicts.
It's really difficult to find minis (Eureka are good for early war in Afghanistan but not for the last part of the french presence, Empress is good for new army, but both ranges are not very developped and lacks some important minis such as sniper, JTAC, MMG,...)

As I'm not the only one in this case, some other french players have decided to design and print a whole range of French soldiers for "late Afghanistan" and Mali.
The range is avalaible at https://www.jjgprint3d.com/, and will expand in the next months.
Some vehicles are avalaible in 3D print at https://www.ludocortorum.fr/
And another range will be avaliable in the coming months as Normandie Miniatures wants to start a kickstarter for a whole range, including weapons options (FAMAS or HK416) and some vehicles.

But enough  of speaking, here are the first minis :

- "bonus mini" (french soldier and afghan teen, a goodie from JJG Prints), 600m team (FAMAS, Minimi and LGI) and 300m team (team leader, FAMAS with grenade and 2 AT4):

- for those who asks, here is one of my inspiration pic for the colors :

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:28:26 AM by tancrede »
My blog, for personnal and commission work, and sometimes other things too => http://studiocaillou.blogspot.fr/

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
Re: Modern french army - 28mm
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 09:22:29 AM »
Very nice indeed!
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 10:25:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing, and your painted models look great.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline LazyStudent

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 10:27:44 AM »
Looks great! Really nice minis and great paint job.

Could you please share the 3D printer company on this thread: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=129459.0

"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Dr Bogo

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 11:27:04 AM »
Really nice work, French are definitely on my to-do list, may have been bumped a little higher after seeing this!

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 06:26:51 PM »
Thanks for comments, guys.
Links shared in the appropriate section.

I hope to see more modern french forces soon, as our soldiers have fighted or are still fighting in many places for the last 15 years (Afghanistan, Mali,... and Special Forces have been seen in Libya and in Syria/Iraq), and it's rarely seen on the net.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 07:50:44 PM »
Thanks for posting. I have a small French force for our Afghanistan games, 20mm though.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 09:47:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  A cool project.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 09:57:53 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Thanks for posting. I have a small French force for our Afghanistan games, 20mm though.
As it's 3D printed, JJG Print 3D offers to print the minis in 28mm, 20mm and 15mm !  ;)

For today, a little update with the last members of the "300 meters team" :

And the whole team :

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 01:29:22 AM »
Very cool. I play skirmish in 15mm so seeing these are available that way is a big bonus. I looked briefly at the site and was greeted by very interesting topics. I am not American and find these lesser available forces both refreshing and innovative. I have been collecting micro armour French in order to play the various OPEX operations around the world especially real and imaginations in Africa where France was the colonial power and so continues it's presence.

I understand these are 3D printed but are they, or may be in future, available as metal castings, or may be from from Normandie? I have been collecting QRF 15mm French forces but they are looking to sell the product line off and so are no longer available from QRF. I have found them from other sources. Peter Pig has some but I find his look very "chunky".

Thank you very much for bringing these to our attention and please any other leads or links to French centric modern gaming would be very appreciated.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 05:02:23 AM »
Excellent sculpts and paint work! Those are very nice.

I only wish someone would do so French troops for the 1970s and ‘80s, Kolwezi, Chad, Beirut etc. Would love some French Cold War troops, all the vehicles are already out there between Solido and Quarter Kit.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 06:05:44 AM »
Very nice,

a project for me later in the year is to do a classic 1989s French army for the Cold War and avfew pieces for the first Iraq war.

Cheers
Matt

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »
Thanks for comments, guys.

Very cool. I play skirmish in 15mm so seeing these are available that way is a big bonus. I looked briefly at the site and was greeted by very interesting topics. I am not American and find these lesser available forces both refreshing and innovative. I have been collecting micro armour French in order to play the various OPEX operations around the world especially real and imaginations in Africa where France was the colonial power and so continues it's presence.

I understand these are 3D printed but are they, or may be in future, available as metal castings, or may be from from Normandie? I have been collecting QRF 15mm French forces but they are looking to sell the product line off and so are no longer available from QRF. I have found them from other sources. Peter Pig has some but I find his look very "chunky".

Thank you very much for bringing these to our attention and please any other leads or links to French centric modern gaming would be very appreciated.

If you want more 80s/90s french forces in 15mm, you can take a look at the Team Yankee range.
Not really cheap, but the infantry is metal and can do the job :

For JJG Prints, it will certainly not be casted in metal.
Normandy Miniatures as shown some 3D designs for troops, but no idea if it will be hard plastic, resin or metal.

We have a serious discussion on a french forum for the game "Au contact" (https://aucontact.forumactif.com/t109-beta-discussion-projet-francais-moderne-au-28mm) upon the design, as for many of us, we want both NM and JJG ranges to be fully compatible to offer a wide range of minis. 

But those minis are for contemporary actions, 2000 and after, due to equipment. Not for 80s/90s conflicts.
And as the well known but old FAMAS had begun to be remplaced by HK416, if you can still field those minis for actual conflicts (in Mali, for example), on the pictures, you see less and less of troop with FAMAS (except for the Legion).

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 12:58:11 PM »
I am not the one into the 80s and 90s, ultra modern works for me as well.

Do you have a link to the Au Contact rules themselves? Thank you.

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 01:59:22 PM »
I am not the one into the 80s and 90s, ultra modern works for me as well.

Do you have a link to the Au Contact rules themselves? Thank you.

You can buy the rules here (french only) : https://www.pumbo.fr/boutique/livre/au-contact-amarante-wargames?fbclid=IwAR1BYrJanB_ZSnfydh08rwFQu7_ZCg2KY_dXwMUvejPYWX7O7gRuUzk3tqw

And here you have the blog of the creator : http://jardinsdepierre.blogspot.com/?m=1