Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: FEAR OF THE DARK solo horror skirmish wargame  (Read 16852 times)

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
Re: FEAR OF THE DARK solo horror skirmish wargame
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2021, 04:51:08 PM »
I bought the game a while back but Cthulu is not really my thing (mainly as I don't have the minis or terrain).

I have, however, commandeered some of your ideas to make another system work solo for me.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks a lot for supporting this project!

My idea would be to develop a ww2 versión of the game, as It is a setting I love and I have played for a long time.

I Hope I have enough time to do It!
Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame blog (rules, scenarios, general articles...)

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 11:06:28 PM »
Like the One who awaits in the dark, you may not see me, but I'm still here...

Real life has kept me away from gaming, mainly two kids on holidays (without going to school) that take most of my time.

What am I doing these days?

Well, I'm really busy as I'm working on different projects:

A Fear of the Dark mini campaign. A writter has disappeared while looking for information on a cult... a small fishy town with dark secrets awaits... Will the characters make It alive?
It's going to be a long scenario with a few dangerous scenes while they unveil whatever happened to the missing writter.

Terrain making and painting miniatures. New scenarios and new projects need new terrain and miniatures, so painting and making terrain takes a lot of time. Docks, a ship, scatter terrain, miniatures... There is always something new to paint or make (specially when we think on the project listed below)

A new project/ruleset based on ww2/weird ww2 skirmishes. Rules are almost done, but still need more playtesting. It will cover ww2 historical skirmishes but will also have a weird twist, always dealing with just a few miniatures and a narrative approach. That way you may play historical ww2 scenarios or go beyond and know what "really" happened during ww2.

As you can see there are a lot of things on the way, and the first one will be a post on terrain that I'm already preparing.

I'll be more active as summer is over (and kids start school) and I'll keep you informed on how everything unfolds.

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2021, 08:15:53 PM »
We are getting close to the scariest date of the year... Halloween...

Are you preparing anything special related to wargames? Which are your plans?

I'm preparing a one-shot scenario for you and I want it to be available before Halloween.
The scenario is already written and I just have to playtest the scenes so that they are balanced.

The idea came while reading a bedtime story to my children and the plot may sound familiar:

"Officer, what we know about the case is that a young girl was going through the woods to her grandmother's house carrying a basket with a piece of cake... Next thing we know is that she was found dead as if a beast had slayed her...
It sounds familiar, isn't it, officer?
Well, to make things even more strange as It was raining she was wearing a cape with a hood...
Do you guess which colour was it?
Red... Of course...
So, officer... Are we looking for the Big bad wolf?"

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2021, 08:54:05 PM »
The fourth free scenario has been added to the core ruleset.
Right now Fear of the Dark has 8 scenarios, and the whole ruleset and scenarios are more than 200 pages.

Halloween is quite a good opportunity to give a try to Fear of the Dark...

Offline Gremio_77

• Schoolboy
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 07:35:56 PM »
This scenario looks great!!! Just read the introduction and I am excited to play it. Thanks for keeping this game on top

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2021, 05:32:42 AM »

looking better and better

minis are cool too

where did you get those sick spiders?

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 11:37:37 PM »
This scenario looks great!!! Just read the introduction and I am excited to play it. Thanks for keeping this game on top

Thanks a lot, but It's all of you playing this game that keeps It  on top!

looking better and better

minis are cool too

where did you get those sick spiders?

Thanks a lot!
The miniatures are from Deep Madness board Game (That game is full of cool disgusting figures).

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2022, 11:48:48 AM »
Many of you may have noticed that the game Fear of the Dark has disappeared in Spanish.
Both the file in Wargamevault and the free demo version.
Everything has an explanation...

Recently an agreement was reached with the Shadowlands publishing company for its professional edition in both physical and digital format in spanish.

Shadowlands is a serious and strong publishing company specialized in horror role-playing games, and anyone who has seen anyof their work can only conclude that this is the best publisher that could be responsible for launching this project in a professional way.

So for a few months Fear of the Dark will not be available in Spanish, but soon you will be able to enjoy a really professional version that will surprise you.

What will happen to those who already purchased the game through Wargamevault?

Nothing is set in stone yet, but it has been considered to give some kind of benefit to those who have already bought the game if they purchase the book once it is published by Shadowlands.

Although that benefit is yet to be decided, be sure that those who trusted in this project from the very beginning are not going to be forgotten, thanks to you this game is possible and both the publishing company and I think it's something worth rewarding.

We still have a few months to see Fear of the Dark edited in spanish in a professional way, but be sure that the wait will be worth it...

In the meantime stay close...

Stay together...

And above all, have fear of the dark...

P.S. many people has asked about an english hard back profesional edition of the ruleset, but unfortunately I'm afraid that the only publishing company that was interested wasn't a good choice (they hadn't done a RPG or wargame before and they weren't aire how to distribute It)

I Hope we see a profesional edition of the book on english made by a serious publishing company...

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2022, 08:51:50 PM »
Congratulations on the Spanish deal, great to see things working out for you. Still hoping myself to see a hard copy of an English edition, will be the first in line to pick one up.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2022, 11:50:24 PM »
To see a hard back profesional edition in english would be awesome!

Hope we see It someday!

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2022, 06:52:40 PM »
A new thrilling campaign is available for free for Fear of the Dark.

Jerry tugged several times on the axe handle unable to get it to release from where it was stuck, after trying in vain to pull the blade of the axe out he decided to rest his foot on the poor man´s back.

Pushing hard with his foot and pulling energetically on the axe handle, he managed to force the blade out of the back, exposing a large wound from which blood was flowing. 

Looking down at the stranger's immobile body, he tilted his head to one side and crouched beside him.

Bringing his lips close to his victim's ear Jerry asked him in a low voice: 

"Do you still hear the violins playing?"   

Sons of the New Moon is a 53 Pages campaign that will take your investigators to their limits:

a writer is missing while he was making a research for a new book, a horror novel about a long time disappeared esoteric cult. Everything seems like he has discovered something... something wicked...

Will they discover the writer´s whereabout?

Will they make it alive?

Will they find what happened with the Sons of the New Moon?

This is the first campaign, that along with the free four extra scenarios make this game quite a big deal:   

For 11$/10€ you get the full rulebook, eight scenarios and this campaign, more than 260 pages of lovecraftian horror to be played solo (or full coop)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2022, 11:04:53 PM »
This is fantastic news  :D :D

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2022, 03:29:31 AM »
Being an old school retired guy there is, and probably always will be, an affection for a solid book I can hold in my hands (as  my  collection of over 500 Lovecraft/Mythos titles will attest to.) Same with all my tabletop rulebooks. From all that I've read (and especially being a strictly solo player for many years now also) I've found myself sorely tempted by this game. As it looks like there's no physical copy of this on the near horizon looks like itm might be time to bite the bullet and pick up my first digita rulebook.

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2022, 10:11:49 AM »
Thanks a lot for supporting this project!

Unfortunately I'm afraid It is not available in physical edition, but many people has printed their digital edition at local printer shops, with a quité good result.

Apart from that, right now It would be more than 260 Pages, so It would be like two Big books to print Everything.

I'm thinking on making a separate book with all the free stuff (4 scenarios and the campaign)

Offline ignis-fatuus

• Assistant
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2022, 05:59:00 PM »
I recently got back into painting miniatures after a bit of a hiatus and have been looking for a fun skirmish game. I like the fact that it can be played solo and have found the mechanic quite novel--I really enjoyed Gloomhaven, though I am beginning to wonder if my girlfriend and I will ever actually finish all of the scenarios.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend an approximate quantity or type of miniatures to get started. I have some Copplestone Gun Mols that think might work (aesthetically at any rate) and some Reaper Ghouls which I think might also be on theme as there are a number of stories in the extended Lovecraft mythos which feature them. Then again, I am guessing that the scenarios likely call for specific types of enemies and antagonists. I suppose I will have to buy a copy of the rules to find out. Anyway, this looks like a really exciting project.