Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:17:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 739
Total: 745

Recent

Author Topic: Do you feel your painting skill has plateaued?  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Do you feel your painting skill has plateaued?
« on: March 10, 2021, 06:22:02 AM »
I was comparing some miniatures I recently painted with some I painted about a decade ago, the other day, and came to the realization that my miniature painting skills don't really seem to have improved in the last ten years.

I don't think I'm a bad painter, I can certainly knock out a decent table top paint job, but it seems I just can't seem to take my paint jobs to that next level.

I've experimented with new techniques, different undercoats, different paints followed more than a few online tutorials and yet my paint jobs hasn't visibly improved in recent years. It feels like I hit my skill ceiling in my mid 30s about a decade ago.

Do you guys feel like your miniature painting is still improving or have you plateaued (or even gone backwards)?

Here's my blog if your interested in what my painting looks like

https://jonsotherwargamesblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Do you feel your painting skill has plateaued?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 06:52:02 AM »
Good post Jon! Yep,my painting modelling etc has ups and downs. It has improved,though it’s taken 43 years,I reached a high point when I was about 17,and I’ve been trying to catch up ever since. These days I try and paint for fun,rather than painting armies. Whilst painting large scale figures I’ve always got a couple of Asgard orcs or something on the go,keeps it interesting. And books,I like reading books by the masters,Mike Blank for instance,brilliant inspiration,and I discovered someone else who paints like me lol.
So stick to it(your painting looks good),the key I think is don’t make it a chore :)
Cheero
Guy
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 07:21:21 AM »
Plateaued and at the upper end of a downward slope lol

But I am happy with my paint style now, if its ok from 3 ft away, its ok.

I am 51 and have been painting models since the late 70s, early 80s mostly Airfix kits then, very badly.

But I am impressed with the GW contrast paints and they have finally allowed me to paint almost exclusively with my own inks method developed over years of trial and many errors lol

More bristles on your brush

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:46:31 AM »
I've only been painting for around 3 years and have no artistic predisposition whatsoever; if YouTube didn't exist I world have no clue still.

My rate of improvement was meteoric initially but has slowed tremendously this past 6 months.

I have designs on improving but have resigned myself to never getting to the levels of the truly artistic painters that I see on here.

It's about trying new things in my opinion and having a Bob Ross attitude to things that go wrong.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 10:09:58 AM »
yes, not because I don't think I can't do better if I put more effort in, but because I've reached a level I'm comfortable with, where the time/irritation to acceptable look of the minis equation has reached my perfect balance.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 10:27:03 AM »
I wish! Currently struggling to get back to where I was two years ago after a medical catastrophe robbed me of the ability to paint. I really felt like I was getting somewhere and would have been quite happy to plateau at that level (hubris got me there, I guess). Still, it gives me something to aim for and lack of inspiration or 'mojo' is no longer a problem. I never get that 'just don't want to do the hobby today' feeling any more.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 10:31:51 AM »
Mine's not plateaued...
it's got worse.

:'(
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 10:32:46 AM »
Gone backwards in my case. Too many stuff to worry about I guess

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 10:36:37 AM »
For me, my eyesight is poorer and I struggle with detail so can’t really attempt anything below 28mm with any real hope of success.

However, since lockdown and having been badly affected by Covid last April, what has improved is my ability to tackle batch painting....something I always struggled with before, and I had a blast painting regiments of Napoleonics (which I must get back to).

Moving away from GW paints, something I’ve used exclusively for years, and dabbling with more Matt colours of Vallejo, I have discovered more about mixing colours and feel I have made a few improvements.

I think the main thing is to try different genres, game systems etc....especially as different figures to your norm require you to learn new skills anyway.  Don’t be afraid to look up tutorials on the web...a great source of inspiration.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 11:18:34 AM »
I'm with @voltan regarding time/look acceptance.

I find that glazing and drybrushing are the main techniques I use, and I'm relatively happy with where I am with them. However, I do want to explore contrast paints more.

Painting for fun, relaxation and general mental sanity is what I'm after these days :D

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 11:25:17 AM »
Sorry to be an annoying voice of enthusiasm and positivity  ;) but I am a relatively recent returnee to the hobby and I feel like I am still improving as a painter (obviously starting from a low base helps!). The equipment now is better than my teenage years but the main difference is all the tips and resources available online.

Some examples:

I am still learning how to get the most out of contrast paints in relation to rank and file figures, and I expect my quality (and speed) to improve the more I use them. 

In addition I have started to experiment with Non Metallic Metal effects on character figures that I want to devote more time too. Again there is a lot to learn but I am confident I will improve.

I have also bought some pigments for weathering vehicles and I can see there is a knack to using them but my confidence is growing.

I made my first wet palette last year and that helped give my painting a boost, I think mainly by helping to keep the paint diluted.

I found a more satisfactory way of dealing with eyes on 28mm scale figures. I now have fewer bug-eyed  or cross-eyed recruits!

There are other techniques to master that I have not even tried yet - Origin Source Lighting for example, or the use of mediums rather than diluting paint with water (which my mate swears by).

I imagine like all skills the better you get at painting  the harder it is to squeeze out further improvements, and at some point perhaps the time and effort it takes is not worth the marginal difference in quality. But at the moment for me I still feel that getting a bit better is a realistic and desirable objective.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 11:42:40 AM »
yes, not because I don't think I can't do better if I put more effort in, but because I've reached a level I'm comfortable with, where the time/irritation to acceptable look of the minis equation has reached my perfect balance.

This. I made a conscious decision about 5-10 years ago not to paint to my absolute best, but to paint to a level where I was comfortable with the end result, it took minimal effort and was relatively quick
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 12:17:53 PM »
Brushwork will climb no higher, I fear, but perhaps better judgment in selecting colours and shades. At 61, I ask no more.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 01:27:58 PM »
I have been painting for maybe 14 months, my first effort( 15mm French voltiguer) was an absolute disaster.
Since then, I have studied the works of many painters, paying particular attention to Kevin Dallimore, Charles Baynon and Steve Dean.

I feel that my progress is always on the up but do understand what you mean about stagnation.

I can paint very well if I allow myself the time but my hopping from one period to the other perhaps slows me down.
My standard is always improving, I think I can paint FAR better than I do, I just struggle with the will to paint every button as I feel the time/reward aspect has a point where interest can be lost.

Being relatively new to the hobby, I feel swamped by wanting to paint so many things and having so little time to do it.

Perhaps there is a balance, I'm beginning to foster the idea that concentrating on one period and not setting targets is the right way to go.

If I had it my way, I'd have 8 arms, 8 cans of red bull and 8 hours a day free, I don't, so whatever war film I've recently watched seems to determine where I paint next.

I hope to find a way forward.
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 04:13:32 PM »
so whatever war film I've recently watched seems to determine where I paint next.
As someone who has traditionally* been a massive butterfly, I usually found the best way was to keep on track with a project was a constant drip stream of inspiration related material - audiobooks, video games and movies. Obviously, this can be somewhat limiting, and partners/housemates may not appreciate the constant stream of WW2/ACW/Roman/Vietnam/Whatever. Mix it up with stuff that doesn't have much playability lol (If you're a weirdo like me who seems to pick out the most niche of subjects, there can be very little fodder for tis approach)

*I have some how miraculously spent the last 2 years or so jumping around the period 1550-1700 which is remarkably constrained by my standards