Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:37:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Best Napoleonic Rules for Divisional actions...?? HELP..!!  (Read 3929 times)

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
Hi Guys
I have been looking for some Napoleonic Rules , but it seems opinion is divided ...LOL ?

Here are my modest requirements

I will mostly be in the Peninsular and mostly playing 1 to 2  maybe up to  3 divisions a side .
I wanted something that has a bit of flavour and historical accuracy
I dont want to just play it in 2/3 hours.... like say Naps Battles..
I will never play in competitions .
Any help would be must Appreciated.
Cheers

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: The Best Napoleonic Rules for Divisional actions...?? HELP..!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 11:48:41 AM »

I dont want to just play it in 2/3 hours.... like say Naps Battles..

Not sure what you mean here, since I don't play Naps Battles. You want a shorter game or a longer one?
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 12:01:21 PM »
Hi VTS
What I meant was in regards  to NB's I meant  that I dont wish to play Waterloo in 3 hours and only have brigades as the units.
Cheers

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 12:18:35 PM »
Ah, you don't want grand-tactical rules. Gotcha.

Divisional level rules where the basic units are battalion/regiment/battery, plenty of those. New ones; Lasalle 2nd edition (have not played).
Coming soon; Shadow of the Eagles (I game tested, like 'em), most games play in 2-3 hours

I'm sure other suggestions will be coming soon.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 05:49:50 PM »
General d'Armee would be a good fit. Very nice set of rules with a lot of period detail. Lasalle v2 is at the same level but less detailed. Shako is also still a good set that has held up very well.

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 08:10:11 PM »
Shako 2 has divisions as an organizational maneuver element, with infantry battalions and cavalry regiments in each. We can play 2 to 10 divisions a side in 3 hours.

Offline LazyStudent

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 07:33:36 AM »
+1 for General d'Armee

Or if you would like even more gritty battles, then I suggest General d'Brigade. Jon has a great blog that shows the kinda battles than can be played solo with GdB (http://grymauch.blogspot.com/). He even played Waterloo, although it took him several sessions. 8)
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 07:45:41 PM »
I suggest General de Brigade or In the Grand Manner, regularly play two or three division games, plus supporting cavalry division in 4-6 hours.

cheers
Matt

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 11:48:01 AM »
Shako II is my preferred large battles set!
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!

Offline freerangeegg

• Student
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 08:54:39 AM »
I would second General d'Armee. It has some nice subtleties, but is very quick and easy to pick up. The biggest game I have played was Talavera last year with IIRC 4 divisions per side and they gave a very enjoyable (and historical) game.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 05:57:09 PM »
I found General de Brigade too involved, and I don't like head counting - in fact I recently sold my Delux copy on ebay. I prefer something simpler and, frankly, more 'modern'. I'm hearing good things about Lasalle 2. Black Powder will deliver a result in that time but they are not everyone's cup of tea. Field of Battle and Piquet give a good exciting game but, having a novel basic mechanism, they are a steep learning curve for the first couple of battles unless you know someone who's played them to give you a run through game.

I'm watching this thread with some interest. 20 - 30 units a side is also my range.

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 07:58:51 PM »
Look no further than General d'Armee
I'd looked for years and stopped looking when I found General de Brigade, but GdeA by the same author Dave Brown followed it and gives a superb game
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline custosarmorum

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 11:20:15 PM »
I would also suggest LOA's Republic to Empire.  It wprks well if you are looking at a couple of divisions and a brigade plus of cavalry.  I was playing around with the General de Brigade rules which were fine, but RtE were a little smoother in my opinion.

Offline LazyStudent

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 08:13:22 AM »
I found General de Brigade too involved, and I don't like head counting - in fact I recently sold my Delux copy on ebay. I prefer something simpler and, frankly, more 'modern'.

Interestingly Olicana, I would say the exact reasons you were put off of GdB, are the reasons why I really enjoy it. It is very involved and you do count minis. But I really like the decisions the nitty gritty mechanisms give one, as well as watching units shrink over the course of a battle. Additionally, I find it wonderful the way one can recreate historical orbats, tailoring the size of each unit to the nearest 1:20 model to man ratio. Rather than simply lumping all battalions into a small, medium, or large categorization. I guess it just goes to show why there will, and should, never be a one size fits all set of Napoleonic rules.

I would suggest you check out General d'Armee though. Same author but more 'modern' than the 20yr old GdB.

Or, if you'd like something different then I can recommend Napoleonic Command II, by Jeff Knudsen at the War Artisan Website (http://warartisan.com/rules)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 01:13:08 PM »
Additionally, I find it wonderful the way one can recreate historical orbats, tailoring the size of each unit to the nearest 1:20 model to man ratio. Rather than simply lumping all battalions into a small, medium, or large categorization.

I'm even more heretical than that. Currently the smallest command group I have is the division - no brigade commands - and I scale my divisions at 1 infantry unit per thousand men. My units use battalion tactics, but I have far fewer of them. I'm more for game than simulation, which often puts me at odds with the purists.

I guess it just goes to show why there will, and should, never be a one size fits all set of Napoleonic rules.

Couldn't agree more. The world, as they say, is big enough for everyone to share.

A recent solo game using home spun Piquet at that scale. It looks pretty Napoleonic to me, at least.