Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:35:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2021 - Daeothar's collapsed overpass  (Read 15157 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: BSC2021 - Daeothar's collapsed overpass!
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2021, 06:23:05 PM »
Fantastic! I can't wait for the 6th of June to come round to see this one finished! 8)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2021, 09:12:00 PM »
Same :)

But there's still quite a lot to do and even though I think I'm still on track, I do feel that looming date already...

Just a small update this evening, in more sense than one.

I added the bottles to the spectators, and sculpted a hand on the throwing guy. Also, after heating and bending the legs on the sitting guy, I had to sculpt his ass back again, or he would have looked very oddly mutated indeed lol

Sculpting at 20mm is a new experience for me, and man, that's tiny! I ended up (as always ::) ) with too much putty after I was done, so I took a WIP Dark Eldar out of the case to resculpt an arm that had been replaced by a pin during the converting process.

Normally I find sculpting on Eldar a bit of a challenge because of their lithe physique, but after those 20mm fingers, this had become a breeze! :D

Perhaps I should move down to 15mm after this and see what that brings... ;)

Finally, I also added that steel plate to the base, and the sign is now rock steady in its intended position. And this will only improve when I start adding the wall filler around the location. Hopefully, that'll be tomorrow!
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »
Today I had one of those annoying setbacks that do not outright damage or destroy a project, but rather cost a lot of time to correct. And I basically lost an entire available day to this...  >:(

It all started out well; I succesfully trimmed several road pieces to the right length and width, to make them fit as one on the templates. So then I set to actually glueing them into place. A defining moment in this project, since the creating of the components took such a long time to complete.

And since all the moulds were eventually broken down (to either create new moulds or simply because they were not required), any mishap would lose me a critical piece, since I foolishly neglected to create extra pieces.

For the glue, I had selected a construction adhesive that dries very fast (10min, full strength after 24h) and has an incredible strength. Its only requirement is that at least one of the surfaces is porous.

And even though I was working with a combination of plaster and MDF, the plaster pieces' undersides were all pretty much riddled with air bubbles, which looks to me to be pretty porous. So, with all boxes ticked, I set to glueing everything in place.

It started out OK, but when I checked some of the pieces an hour later, they simply came off immediately. The glue had cured to the consistency of dried out Green Stuff, and adhered somewhat to the MDF, but did not grip the plaster. At all!  :-[

So there was nothing to it but to take all of the pieces off again and clean all surfaces. This took a while on its own, but then I re-glued all the pieces with my trusty PVA glue, and this is drying as I type this.

Here are some shots of the pieces drying in place, with the sign added, just for the heck of it:

I'm taking no risks this time, and I will only handle the lot no sooner than tomorrow, when the glue has had all the time it needs to fully cure and bond.

That little episode was early in the afternoon, and what was I to do then? Easy: I finished off the road sign with some overdue detailing. The sign is now ready for painting, so you won't be seeing any more of it until the great reveal.

I couldn't resist though, to put the spectators in their planned positions  :D :

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: BSC2021 - Daeothar's collapsed overpass
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2021, 03:21:45 PM »
That sounds very annoying Deothar, but despite the wasted time the build is looking superb. Those spectators look very nicely animated too and will really bring the scene to life. I just hope they brought parachutes!

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2021, 05:42:26 PM »
Sweet progress. Really stoked to see the end result.

Those maniacs with their molotov's might need some houseruling. Maybe automatically add some stress to the drivers, upping the risks of making that last risky turn in difficult ground.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2021, 12:21:58 PM »
Thanks both :)

Those maniacs with their molotov's might need some houseruling. Maybe automatically add some stress to the drivers, upping the risks of making that last risky turn in difficult ground.

Excellent idea; let's discuss when the time is there 8)

Now; I've got some major progress to report.

First off, I've egalized the road pieces by sanding them down to meet up perfectly. And because the colour is cast into the pieces, this was not a problem at all. An added plus was that this process also equalized their colour. It looks as if some of the pigments sank down to the bottom of the moulds, creating a very thin, darker layer in some of the later pieces. But this solved that colour difference perfectly.

Then, I had to find a sturdier way of attaching the column to the not-collapsed part of the fly-over besides glue,  because just a bit of PVA will not hold up that road surface for long. Also, because of the lopsidedness of that part, it just requires some sturdy attachment.

Which is why I opted for a very carefully drilled hole all the way through the pillar, support and road surface. A washer and suitably long screw, (superglued in place too) now make certain the road surface will not separate from the support and pillar. I will camouflage the unsightly screw head with some debris later on.

This piece too, will be positioned precariously close to the table edge, and (near) mishaps are to be expected.

So magnets to the rescue once again. I embedded 7 into the bottom of the pillar, to match up with a piece of metal sheet on the base. And to ensure it is placed correctly every time, I used a sliver of the PVC pipe I used to cast it, to form a slot for it on the base. And this solves that problem too, plus it will probably add some extra stability as well.

And then the moment I've been anticipating for weeks now; the smashing of the collapsed road piece :D

I simply lifted it up on one side by lying it on top of a piece of wood, put a discarded padded envelope on top, and hammered away!

Just a few good smashes were all it took, and then I was able to place the bits into position (for now). I carefully gathered all the debris from the smashing off my desk and gathered it into a separate container, because this will have to be added to the end result towards the end.

And it looks almost exactly the way I had been hoping it would  :) :

Now, if I had only been able to restrain myself and waited to destroy that piece of road till after I had added the road markings... ::)

Next up; wall filler galore!  :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:30:48 PM by Daeothar »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2021, 03:20:34 PM »
Thats awesome! The cracked effect is perfect! I was worried it might not scale well, but you really couldn't do any better with a shrink ray and a full size section of the M1. 8) 8) 8)

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »
That looks so fantastic!  I would be super tempted to slightly smash a few more of the road sections.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2021, 03:19:58 PM »
Cheers guys :)

I've been held back by a potential serious medical issue over the past couple of days, but now that the storm has died down, I've been able to continue.*

I've undercoated all the 'loose' items, including (but not limited to) the traffic sign and the spectators. Fully painted are a car that did not take the difficult curve as it was supposed to, and crashed through the barriers into the ground behind the overpass (in one previous picture, there is a stand-in car (black) in that approximate spot), plus its driver, who has been thrown through the windshield (always wear your seatbelt!). And to accomodate the request from mr Bibbly, he's all dressed up as a redshirt!

Although I'll leave it to the observer to explain this; is it an Enterprise crewman who got lost, or is it a Comicon visitor who took his mother's car down a wrong exit?  :D

No pictures of these though; you'll have to wait for the competition results to see what it all looks like...

Then I managed to put down the wall filler on both pieces. I had to go slow and put down two layers, because otherwise it would have taken ages to dry. I then sanded it all smooth(ish), and these areas are now ready for undercoating.

As you can see though, I did not do the entire piece just yet. This is because there is some coordination required when putting down the filler on, under and around the collapsed piece.

And I needed to do the ground cover under the bridge first, because that area will be unreachable once the collapsed piece is put in place. But I can only do the filler  around it, once that piece is glued in place.

So that's why I'm doing this part of the build in baby steps.

This afternoon I have put down some more concrete pieces to complete that part of the construction, but I ran out of really thin slivers. So I then resorted to another technique, which I hope will pay off.

I had previously collected all the tinted pieces and saw dust remaining after fitting, sizing and cutting the large pieces. So I simply added thinned down PVA glue to the bare areas, and covered that with the 'concrete' dust. This was then covered with a spray of PVA, water and matt varnish, so it will dry rock hard.

As the picture shows, I've also undercoated the to be covered area, and added the tile grout and sand mix I have used for the entire table. This was then sprayed with the same mix as above, and is drying as I type this.

This picture is therefore not a real spoiler, as the end result will look vastly different from what you see here, once it's dry:

After this though, I think I can show the piece maybe one or two more times before it'll come too close to the end stage. What I will be able to show, and which I have yet to start on, are the metal crash barriers I'll be adding to a large portion of the shoulders.

For this, I have actual corrugated aluminium sheet, which looks to be pretty much to scale, and strips of that will probably end up looking like the real thing pretty convincingly, so that should be another fun part... :)

* for those who are wondering; the retina in my right eye suddenly separated in one spot, causing blurred vision in about 1/2 of the visible area of my right eye. General practitioner directly forwarded me to the hospital, where the eye doctor confirmed the situation, but also saw that it had settled back down of its own accord, so no emergency surgery would be required. But I now have this cool hotline number that I need to call in case it repeats, and I'll be operated on immediately, because this condition can actually cause blindness!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:25:30 PM by Daeothar »

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2021, 04:56:09 PM »
Great work mate - it’s one thing to be ambitious, and it’s another matter to actually deliver on it - topus notchus.

8)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2021, 10:07:58 AM »
Hey, the same could be said about your entry! I'm in awe at the sheer volume of sculpting you've pulled off on that! 8)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2021, 10:57:01 AM »
This is a fantastic project. Well done.  :-*

For some reason, I can's see the pictures on my PC or my work PC but I can see them on my iPhone.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2021, 01:30:20 AM »
This is another ambitious project I look forward to seeing on June 6th.  :D

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2021, 01:18:42 PM »
Impressive :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2021, 12:47:12 PM »
Just a picture-less update, just to let you all know I'm still working on this.

The undercoating and ground covering has been done, just like the markings on the road surface. The crashed car has been embedded in the sand, and the collapsed section has been glued into place.

The victim has been painted, and I've nearly finished one of the three spectators. The road sign has also been nearly completed; I'm just waiting for a new printer cartridge to arrive, since I wasted a perfectly good sheet of transfer paper when the cartridge ran out of yellow ink!  >:(

Another slight mishap was the near destruction of the raised piece of road. I had decided to add some crash damage (from cars running into it) to the pillar holding up the piece. The road surface and support beam were both attached tot he pillar by means of a thin, but long, screw, that had been glued into place too.

This connection was very sturdy, but when I started to freehand hammering away onto the surface of the pillar, there was some definite concussive damage to the road surface. It cracked right around the screw! The result was that the overhanging road surface now tilted down, and was nearly broken off the post.

So I poured nearly half a tube of superglue in there; into the cracks, between the separate pieces, some more around the screw, etc. In the end, it feels like one sturdy piece again, but that'll teach me to do my destructive detailing when parts are still separate... ::)

Left to do; the decals on the road sign, painting two more spectators, adding litter and rubble everywhere (including some 1/72 MiG oil barrels, to mark off the new curve, flocking, some graffiti perhaps and finally, if I still have time, the building (and painting) of a few lengths of crash barrier.

I hadn't reckoned on the fact that last weekend (including Friday evening) was a complete loss, hobby-wise, because we went away for the weekend with the whole family. It was a lot of fun being out of the house since the longest time, and the weather was great, but I did end up losing 2 days and 3 evenings worth of hobby time.

So when push comes to shove, I might have to forego the crash barriers (for now).

Should I be able to start on those, I might be able to share some more WIP pictures of them, but otherwise, the project has now moved into the black-out phase... :)