Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's medievals - Lots of things assembled 6/2 -22  (Read 5439 times)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Ogrob's medievals - A bunch of knights come riding in 5/5
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 08:25:53 AM »
Fantastic. I’ve been Intimidated by painting surcoats and shields with heraldic colours but you’ve shown an effective but simple approach. Lovely kitbashes.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 09:03:22 AM »
Fantastic. I’ve been Intimidated by painting surcoats and shields with heraldic colours but you’ve shown an effective but simple approach. Lovely kitbashes.

Thanks mate! I needed something simple and enjoyable for this project, otherwise it would probably not have happened. I may add one or two more colour schemes to the force to get that medieval mishmash heraldry feel, but I will stick to these simple two/three colour designs.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 07:18:06 PM »
Finally finished a few more soldiers for this project. These are mostly Perry plastics but I did use a few Fireforge bodies for some variation.

I also got a new phone which means a new camera to learn. I think once I get the hang of it I will be able to get some very nice photos.

What do you think?

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Ogrob's medievals - Some billmen and some crossbows 15/6
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 06:53:58 AM »
They look very nice. The photo itself is pretty clear too - some nice contrast between the figures and the background.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »
They look good! The high-contrast of the lightly-coloured gambesons with the livery works really well!

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 10:27:58 PM »
Coming back to the thread I see I grabbed the wrong photo of these guys. This is the one I had planned to upload. I think you can see a few more details in focus:

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2021, 08:06:21 AM »
A nice looking group. Like the blue and green combo  :-*

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 04:25:06 PM »
Thank you!

Another small update, I finished this knight. This guy is a 3D print from Caballero Miniatures. I don't have my own printer, but got this one printed and cleaned off Ebay.

I have a pile of Claymore knights coming in, but I am going to start on a second colour scheme so that eventually I will end up with the retinues of a few allied noblemen.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 04:41:12 PM »
Wow. The chainmail on that figure is outstanding.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Re: Ogrob's medievals - An old knight 21/6
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »
Seconded😳

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2021, 06:29:19 PM »
Yep, the mail on the horse looks really real!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 07:37:25 AM »
Great thread. I used to be obsessed with knights as a kid, at some point I moved on to other areas. Threads like this make me want to start some medievals.

This guy is a 3D print from Caballero Miniatures. I don't have my own printer, but got this one printed and cleaned off Ebay.

Hard to believe that's a print, damn that chain looks crisp!  :-*
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 08:16:55 AM »
Resin printing can get some crazy results now, no print lines at all on that guy.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2021, 08:18:02 AM »
I'm a very recent convert to resin printing (I was the same with the early plastics! Duh on my part!) and having had some of these in my hand I can say that they stand up to any metals I have seen before and then some  8)

Lovely brushwork too boot Ogrob  :-*

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2022, 11:36:38 AM »
So this project has been long forgotten. The only thing I really continued with was buying high/late medieval models. I've at least gotten to the point where most of it is assembled and cleaned, and some light conversion work has been done.

Here is a group shot of all things medieval that have accumulated on my lead pile:

Broken down by groups, we are looking at the following.

Claymore Castings Knights with Lances, two packs, and the hero packs Philip of France and Count Alencon. Philip has, like several of the models coming later, lost his crown, so as to be a more generic knight figure.

The remaining models from Claymore's Knights 3 and 4, and John the Blind (again crownless). Started a second livery scheme on these, but changed my mind part of the way. We'll see what happens.

Bad Squiddo's Jeanne de Clisson and Fireforge's Baldwin with a simple headswap. I liked the mini overall but wasn't impressed with the leper mask when I had it in hand.

Claymore's King Edward, King Philip and Black Prince packs. Again some crowns have been taken off, and the banner bearers hold shields instead.

Some more kings, this time from Footsore. I took the crown off Longshanks, but Llewelyn and Robert the Bruce were a little too involved so I left those on.

And finally Claymore's latest release, their italian spearmen. I use Fireforge plastic spears, fortunately the digital sculpts on these have large enough slots to drill with the bigger drill needed.

So yeah, a whole bunch on medievals waiting for paint. As you can see I prefer to use plastic weapons when I can. There's also an imbalance in sculpts with way more nice command figures than regular troops. Can be fixed with some converting.

What do you think? Should I stick to one colour scheme or set out to do a second or even third set of livery?