Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:25:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690979
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: a look at the new Shadow of the eagles napoleonic rules  (Read 4383 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: a look at the new Shadow of the eagles napoleonic rules
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 10:34:34 PM »
Aside from light battalions, many formed units can throw out a skirmisher screen to front or flank. These take (and give) fire instead of the formed unit. Screens just fade back into the formed unit during charges. Very simple and nice.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Keef

• Schoolboy
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 07:12:46 PM »
For the record, infantry cannot pursue cavalry in SotE - pursuit is counted as a charge and infantry cannot charge cavalry, as has already been mentioned. (p.40, bottom right, for those proud owners of the rules).

Regarding column vs. line, I was of course prepared for criticism and discussion on this point. I will only say here that I firmly believe that attacking columns were not the unstoppable battering rams that some believe they were. A quote from Philip Haythornthwaite expresses the conclusion I came to:

"...attack by column was ideally preceded by a horde of skirmishers and after the enemy line had been bombarded by artillery, so that the opposition might be wavering before the column even arrived within musket range."

Mr Haythornthwaite maintains that it was "under these circumstances" that assaults by column would be effective. I follow his view, which seems to me to be supported by such evidence as I could find in secondary sources.

As for cavalry charging infantry in line, my own conclusion is that the basic realities of the SYW were indeed maintained - as Brent Nosworthy has written:

"By the Napoleonic era, it was generally recognised that if the defending infantry consisted of veteran troops, well-led and determined to hold their position, they would be difficult or even impossible to overthrow."

Nosworthy goes on to to make the obvious point that infantry unprepared, weakened by fire or of lower quality would indeed be vulnerable. Where to draw the line in a set of rules is tricky, but I thought it best to make those considering a frontal charge against decent infantry in line think twice, as it appears cavalry commanders in Napoleonic times did. To quote Nosworthy again:

"it didn't make much sense to throw a regiment against every infantry formation encountered during the ebb and flow of battle. [...] regimental commanders sought to avoid needless failures."

Concentrating 2 cavalry regiments against 1 infantry battalion formed in line is an obvious tactic to break infantry in line which is allowed by the rules. More generally, the idea is to get on the flanks of infantry formations or attack only weakened or inferior troops, which I personally believe broadly represents the Napoleonic experience. Of course, I accept that others may disagree.

Readers might want to check the exchanges on these topics on the SotE website:

https://www.shadowoftheeagles.com/forum/questions-about-the-rules
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 07:25:00 PM by Keef »

Offline Keef

• Schoolboy
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 07:16:18 PM »
vtsoagames mentions that 'aside from light battalions, many formed units can throw out a skirmish screen to front or flank'.

Just for the record, light battalions can of course also deploy skirmish screens. For simplicity in the rules, skirmish screens are only effective in the front sector of their parent unit.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2021, 07:26:02 PM »
vtsoagames mentions that 'aside from light battalions, many formed units can throw out a skirmish screen to front or flank'.

Just for the record, light battalions can of course also deploy skirmish screens. For simplicity in the rules, skirmish screens are only effective in the front sector of their parent unit.

My bad. I meant that light battalions can also go entirely into skirmish order, not just throw out screens.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2021, 07:42:24 PM »
Keith, thanks for the detail and insight. I ran a couple of cavalry attacks today against an infantry flank as an exercise ….. devastating for the infantry and this accords with a view of cavalry needing to work for positional advantage.

Offline Fred Mills

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2021, 04:41:51 PM »
Is there a place in North America to buy these in hardcover?

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 03:30:28 PM »
Is there a place in North America to buy these in hardcover?

On Military Matters https://onmilitarymatters.com/dfcatalog.php?period=0900

Offline Fred Mills

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2021, 03:37:22 PM »
Many thanks - order has been sent!!