Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:45:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689348
  • Total Topics: 118276
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: An SCW “A World Aflame” game  (Read 5585 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: An SCW “A World Aflame” game
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2021, 11:30:30 AM »
Very good, thank you.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2021, 03:42:53 PM »
Ok, next stage of my solo SCW game.

The initial advance by the tanks and British battalion went well. I had it so the tanks had to make a full move based on whatever they rolled (all movement in the rules is random) so one tank, in particular, got ahead of its support. Morale was high and the attack surges forward. The Maxim lays down a pretty accurate fire until it realises the next ammo box contains the wrong ammo (an event card). The lead tank crashes through the wire (removing the right element for game purposes) and then turns left up Windmill Hill causing some Carlists to run and those who stand to be eliminated by HE and machine gun fire (including the Priest and Carlist Battalion HQ). The hill is captured!

However, overnight, an ATG has been placed in the Copse and this opens up at short range. One T26 brews up and another is an effective game KO (although the tank is salvageable). The tank on Windmill  Hill traverses and knocks out the “mortar carrier” as it pulls back trying to get the hill back in minimum range (it was too close to fire).

The other surviving T26 skirts the Copse making for the Italian guns. Heavy rifle and MG fire pin down it’s infantry support and, isolated, it is pounced on by some Carlists with Molotov Cocktails and knocked out.

Elsewhere HE fire (and then extra off table artillery fire… another event card) rips into the supporting International Brigade battalion causing extensive casualties. It starts to retire but as the unrelenting fire continues the retreat quickly becomes a rout.

On the Republican left HE fire walks its way into the Carlist position and starts inflicting heavy losses but this cannot be exploited as the CNT FAI militia refuses to advance (they feel they were used as cannon fodder the previous day and are resentful and suspicious).

Back on Windmill Hill the FAO hasn’t made it up on top of the slope so, although the Condor Legion flak battery is just about within sight, supporting artillery fire can’t be called in and a runner (a brave runner!) is despatched! The British battalion commander works out that there must now be observers in the Convent tower and the last HE shell of the surviving T26 is fired in the hope of bringing this down but misses.

SMG and rifle fire from the Copse and Convent sees casualties start to accumulate amongst the Brigaders. At this point CTV infantry and Tankettes are observed moving on to the battlefield.,

It’s getting tense.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:44:40 PM by Sparrow »
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline scotty

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »
A great game and photos

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2021, 09:15:20 PM »
Truly wonderful reading, thank you. The SCW seems such a dramatic setting with all its varying troop types and  equipment.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 01:16:38 PM »
Excellent looking game and great report. 

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 03:54:24 PM »
Yes, a great period to game and so much more background material available than when I first started 20 years ago. Some excellent looking books published on both the Republican and Nationalist forces quite recently.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2021, 06:44:04 PM »
The last moves of my solo SCW game. Running out of ammo and facing CTV infantry coming up on their right and Tankettes on their left, under HE and small arms fire with casualties slowly accumulating, despite the cover they are in,  the commander of the International Brigade’s British battalion takes the difficult decision that they will have to evacuate Windmill Hill. The infantry manage to dive over the rear defences reducing the fire that can be brought to bear on them. They then run as fast as they can back to their start line helped by the opportune event card calling off the Nationalist HE fire. The T26 is not so lucky. As it reverses from the hill the ATG in the Copse uses its last round to land a killing shot. All the T26’s have been lost.

Encouraged, and overly optimistic, the surviving Nationalist Armoured Car races forward but is immediately stopped by a serious suppressive hit from a Republican ATG (revenge at last!). The Tankettes surge forward immediately taking two hits from other Republican ATG’s and then all eyes turn upwards, a Condor Legion aircraft appear overhead (an Event Card). Eyes turn to the dice 1-2 and they attack their own side, 3-6 their opponents.... a 1. The aircraft immediately attacks the Italian Tankettes (I blame myself, I was too lazy to paint air recognition markings on the top of the vehicles, divine judgement!). The Nationalist counter attack crumbles to a stand still. Game over.

I’ve rediscovered my SCW interest! I’m really happy with the figures rebased using my new method so time to go back and do all my other SCW minis the same way (starting with the CNT FAI militia and then my Moors and Legion) plus paint my Republican and Nationalist regulars, cavalry and Falange. I also want to build up the size of my Assaultos and Garda Civil units and potentially give them some heavy weapons of their own? One thing’s for sute, I don’t need any more ATG’s. I probably have enough for an SCW PAK front! More importantly, I want to do more SCW games!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:46:31 PM by Sparrow »

Offline scotty

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2021, 06:50:30 PM »
A superb game and lovely photos. Thanks for sharing as it gives me plenty of motivation to complete my own collection

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2021, 08:35:42 PM »
A very enjoyable series of battle reports. Thank you!  :)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2021, 07:10:41 AM »
Great read and photos.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »
Yes, all that.  Inspiring stuff.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2021, 04:12:12 AM »
Cheers all, v much appreciated. I must admit, after an initial wave of enthusiasm at the start of lockdown I’ve found solo gaming quite “demanding” but this one just seemed to flow  (If nothing else the game acted as a useful motivator for me to get on with painting more of my SCW lead mountain).

My first game of 2021 with a face to face opponent this weekend. Although not interwar I can’t wait!