Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:00:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690997
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hawk the Slayer Minis?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Hawk the Slayer Minis?
« on: May 21, 2021, 02:54:10 PM »
I know I can't be the only one who cherishes this classic fantasy flick. Has anyone found any decent models to represent Hawk's party?

I feel like I saw a good witch-woman mini the other day. She had the hood, the wrap over her eyes, her right hand was raised. She was perfect. I can't seem to locate her now. :(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:02:58 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Hawk the Slayer Minis?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 04:27:49 PM »
Wow! that brings back some memories. I will have to check that film out again and follow this thread to see how you will represent hawk and his band of adventurers.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »
Can't help with Minis but I can say I'm a proud owner of the DVD and novel of the film, this is after Star Wars the next hit the big button of back to when I was a kid nostalgia, with BattleStar Galactica 4th and Tom Baker Doctor Who 1st ofc.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 04:42:30 PM »
I know I can't be the only one who cherishes this classic fantasy flick. Has anyone found any decent models to represent Hawk's party?

I loved that! My mates and I used to get drunk and watch that on a regular basis - man, we were rock'n'roll. It's such a crappy low-budget film, full of great one-liners.

I feel like I saw a good witch-woman mini the other day. She had the hood, the wrap over her eyes, her right hand was raised. She was perfect. I can't seem to locate her now. :(

Sounds like the Bad Squiddo seeress.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 04:56:09 PM »
I loved that! My mates and I used to get drunk and watch that on a regular basis - man, we were rock'n'roll. It's such a crappy low-budget film, full of great one-liners.

Sounds like the Bad Squiddo seeress.

That's the mini. CHEERS!

Yeah, so many one-liners in this film. I also appreciate how 'western' it is. so many stand-offs...

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 04:56:49 PM »
"Sounds like the Bad Squiddo seeress."

https://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/The-Seer/p/102509008/category=21735087

Not a bad match, although you'd probably want to paint the eyeball as something else.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 05:00:25 PM »
"Sounds like the Bad Squiddo seeress."

https://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/The-Seer/p/102509008/category=21735087

Not a bad match, although you'd probably want to paint the eyeball as something else.

True. What about as one of those glowing bouncing balls, er 'Magic Missiles' the witch cast in the film? ;)
this Seer is also a little older and not as sharply dressed, but may be one of the best options atm without converting.

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 06:05:22 PM »
True. What about as one of those glowing bouncing balls, er 'Magic Missiles' the witch cast in the film? ;)
this Seer is also a little older and not as sharply dressed, but may be one of the best options atm without converting.

Yeah, a glowing superball ought to work.  Probably be easy enough to change her apparent age just by painting the figure differently.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 06:43:10 PM »

I painted her as old with tatty clothes, but in truth you could easily just paint her younger with cleaner kit. I wonder how you could go about modelling the paralysing silly string she shoots out the end of her staff!

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 06:56:20 PM »
I wonder how you could go about modelling the paralysing silly string she shoots out the end of her staff!

Stretched sprue?  You know, heat the center over a candle and pull to make a plastic filament out of it.  Old trick for making radio antennas for model kits.

Fishing line stiffened with some superglue might work too. 

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 11:06:53 AM »
it's funny, my tolerance for bad fantasy films is very high, but I've never seen it (only the clapperboard episode about the 'making of' !).
And that's with it being quite 'DnD' I believe, so I should have given it a go?

A chum of mine goes on about it wryly every now and then.
I think there was a (failed) KS to fund a sequel.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 11:37:59 AM »
And that's with it being quite 'DnD' I believe, so I should have given it a go?

It's a gloriously cheap B movie (very nearly a C movie). Bernie Breslaw fairly steals the show as a Giant in his banter with the Dwarf (an interesting interpretation outside the usual Dwarf tropes), there is a hilariously camp Elf character who is oddly reminiscent of Davy Jones from the Monkees, a one-armed Fighter with a mechanically astonishing repeating crossbow and Hawk himself, who presumably is meant to be an Aragorn-type, but comes across as having stepped out of an iffy shampoo advert. Throw in the witch armed with the contents of a toy shop and Jack Palance shamelessly over-acting his way through the role of hissing villain and you have a match made in heaven. But get drunk first.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 11:50:17 AM »
Always reminds me of the Spaced episode ;)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 12:59:40 PM »
It's a gloriously cheap B movie (very nearly a C movie). Bernie Breslaw fairly steals the show as a Giant in his banter with the Dwarf (an interesting interpretation outside the usual Dwarf tropes), there is a hilariously camp Elf character who is oddly reminiscent of Davy Jones from the Monkees, a one-armed Fighter with a mechanically astonishing repeating crossbow and Hawk himself, who presumably is meant to be an Aragorn-type, but comes across as having stepped out of an iffy shampoo advert. Throw in the witch armed with the contents of a toy shop and Jack Palance shamelessly over-acting his way through the role of hissing villain and you have a match made in heaven. But get drunk first.

good lord, how can I not have watched this ...

Bernard Breslaw as a giant  (... again - he was one in Krull, well a cyclops) !
a camp elf Davy jones type ...
and Jack Palance chewing the scenery ...

but as you say: inebriation and company is probably recommended.
can manage the first no problem; the second, not so much. Other half wont be up for it methinks.

* - I should add, in the photo posted above, that looks uncannily like Freddie Mercury on the left hand side, rather predictably cradling a large prong...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 01:06:26 PM by Bloggard »