Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New company: Baraka Games and Miniatures  (Read 7085 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
New company: Baraka Games and Miniatures
« on: May 25, 2021, 07:37:42 PM »
Ok, here it is another Spanish miniatures company. They will start releases in September, and will focus in the colonial war of Spain in the Rif (1921-1927), although many models can be used also for the Spanish Civil War. The models are 28mm and they project to release first the Spanish Legion, followed by Riffians and then Spanish Cavalry. According to a friend that is involved in the project the range pretends to be exhaustive, covering support weapons, vehicles, Regulares, Policía Indigena, ecc, even some pieces of terrain (blocaos, wire...)

One of their models (Spanish Legion, circa 1921):

And their leaflet:

Link to their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Baraka-Games-and-Miniatures-101375535464500

Disclaimer: I am not involved in the project in any way. I simply find it very exciting!

*Baraka: it is a word of Arab origin that means "blessing" or "blessed". In the context of the wars in Africa, it was used by the Spanish army to describe that mix of luck, charisma and bravado typical of successful colonial officers. Saying that someone "had baraka" was a way to express respect and admiration for their leadership in combat, and their "luck"; they were the guys that made things happen. I think that guys like Nicholson or Hodson, of the Indian Mutiny fame, would represent those that "had baraka"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: New company: Baraka Games and Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 08:36:25 PM »
That's a really nice figure. And folks always seem to be clamouring for miniatures on this subject, so hopefully they will be a success.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 12:09:48 AM »
I'm very happy for our Spanish friends (and of course others  lol) because I know a lot of them have been wanting the Rif War/SCW for a long time.
Mark

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 03:36:38 AM »
That’s a lovely sculpt! I hope they do well with this range.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 04:54:21 AM »
Superb sculpting.  :-* :-* :-* Lovely natural posture, which can turn a good sculpt into a superb one!   8)

From what little I know about the Rif War was that it was fought against some of the Berber tribes of North Africa.

I have wondered if any of these Tribes remained hostile during the SCW or were they incorporated into the French Nationalist army? Or none of the above?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 07:49:27 AM »
Now that is interesting news!

Back in the day, I got a lot of the Ansell-sculpted Rif War Spanish from RifRaf, but failed to purchase the Berbers to fight them. Since the Ansell figures, while very nice in their own right, don't work with any other range, IMHO, I'm quite intrigued by this if the figures are more along the mainstream "bulk/heft" style (as the image seems to suggest).

Will watch with interest!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »
Superb sculpting.  :-* :-* :-* Lovely natural posture, which can turn a good sculpt into a superb one!   8)

From what little I know about the Rif War was that it was fought against some of the Berber tribes of North Africa.

I have wondered if any of these Tribes remained hostile during the SCW or were they incorporated into the French Nationalist army? Or none of the above?

You are correct that the war was fought against the Berber tribes, but after the defeat of the Spanish at Annual Abd-el-Krim managed to consolidate the different tribes into a more formal polity, the Republic of the Rif. It had a formal army and actually fought conventional actions against the Spanish and French. The operation at Alhucemas in 1925 was a conventional amphibius operation. It is a very interesting battle, and the Riffians fought as an Army,  not as separate tribes (harkas, in the parlance of the times)

By the time of the SCW most Riffians fought as mercenaries for Franco; there is not information of any disturbances in the Rif.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 10:51:49 AM »

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 10:57:40 AM »
A couple more.
Mark

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 12:35:42 PM »
Very nice new!

i am very interrested by a rif range!!

I need more morrocans rifain ! are the french planed either ?

best reagrds
paco

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 01:35:07 PM »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »
You are correct that the war was fought against the Berber tribes, but after the defeat of the Spanish at Annual Abd-el-Krim managed to consolidate the different tribes into a more formal polity, the Republic of the Rif. It had a formal army and actually fought conventional actions against the Spanish and French. The operation at Alhucemas in 1925 was a conventional amphibius operation. It is a very interesting battle, and the Riffians fought as an Army,  not as separate tribes (harkas, in the parlance of the times)

By the time of the SCW most Riffians fought as mercenaries for Franco; there is not information of any disturbances in the Rif.

Thanks Antonio. It's all very interesting as I know nothing about the history of the Rif, not the Rif war. Literally nothing which might say a thing or two about the bias in the English speaking world re the military history of the non English speaking world! I'm having a devil of a job with my Itlaian Wars project as apart from the obvious authors there is little by way of detail. Thankfully that's changing with the likes of Predonzani Massimo authoring his very useful books for Helion.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 11:57:09 PM »
I’m very interested in this range and this conflict! Keep it coming.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2021, 02:24:58 AM »
It’s a pity the Berbers didn’t have an airforce. I’d be happy with a Rif Raf.