Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...Full Battle Report Page 11 09 Oct 23)  (Read 21264 times)

Offline Hammertime

• Assistant
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(Another US squad added 04 May 22)
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2022, 07:19:08 PM »
A nice addition!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2022, 01:21:50 AM »
Thanks, boys!  A batch of WW2 odds and ends is on deck at the painting desk, so more painted Vietnam stuff will have to wait until after that.

BUT, I will be running 2 BOHICA Vietnam games at Drums at the Rapids (Fort Meigs, In Perrysburg, OH, USA) May 21.  I plan to post AAR's after that.  So, stay tuned...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(1st BOHICA game AAR 03 Apr 22)
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2022, 08:24:53 AM »
Got more painting done!  This time, it's my 1st Cav Div aero-rifle platoon's 2nd squad. 

The 1st 2 pics are the squad leader and the M79 gunners (Empress, except for the kneeling M79 guy - he's a Black Sun fig from Crucible Crush)
The 2nd 2 pics are the riflemen from Team A (all Empress).
The 3rd 2 pics are the riflemen from team B (again, all Empress)
The last pic is the whole squad.

Enjoy!

Missed these. Super good. Really look the part.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2022, 07:19:40 PM »
Thanks, Paul.  starting with well-sculpted figs makes painting them much more enjoyable... 8) 

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2022, 09:03:41 PM »
I've got the scenario formally done up (in BOHICA format) for Drums at the Rapids May 20-21.  The US and NVA/VC Scenario Sheets, The Scenario Map and Reinforcement Tables, and Random Events Chart are attached below.  Please note (again) that this scenario was adapted from the Search & Destroy at Dak Po scenario from the original Force on Force Ambush Valley book.  The scenario map and the intro text on the Scenario Sheets are taken from that book.

If anyone happens plays this scenario, let us know.  I'm particularly interested, as I helped write some of the scenarios in that book, and playtested several of them for the publishers.

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(BOHICA Dak Po scenario added 11 May 22)
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2022, 08:45:14 AM »
Fantastic. Very detailed Random Chart which is brilliant.  :-*

Have a great game.  ;)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2022, 04:27:39 PM »
Thanks, Paul.  As previously mentioned, illustrated AARs will, of course, follow the games. 

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2022, 06:45:02 PM »
Great stuff!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2022, 02:41:03 PM »
brilliant
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2022, 01:16:25 PM »
Cheers, fellas!  Thanks...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2022, 02:33:42 AM »
Okay.  I ran my Vietnam games at Drums at the Rapids Saturday.  2 very different games.  I will do up proper AARs (hopefully Wednesday), but a bit of housekeeping first.  A glaring typo was pointed out to me on the US Situation sheet (remember- ALWAYS have someone else proofread your material... ::)).  So, I fixed it, and present it to anyone interested here.

Anyway, here's a little teaser from the first game...

"Mulligan, gimme some mortars on that hooch."  SFC Hooper said to his Mortar FO, pointing at one of the hooches in the hamlet spread out in front of them.  "Roget that, Sarge."  Mulligan replied, lifting the hand set to his face.  "Bravo two-niner, this is Foxtrot six-seven, over".  To his surprise, the handset crackled back right away "Foxtrot six-seven, Bravo two-niner, over".  "Bravo two-niner, Fire Mission, troops in a building, grid 428056, fire for effect, over."  His radio answered back, "Fire mission acknowledged, over."

"Sarge, I got 'em coming."  "Good", Hooper replied.  "LT thinks their command cell is in there."  As rounds flew in both directions in Dak Po, SFC Hooper kept his 2nd Squad in their tree-line at the east end of the hamlet.  "The LT is pressing them from the Northwest.  We'll keep 'em occupied from here". 

Not more than few minutes later, Mulligan heard on his handset "Foxtrot six-seven, Bravo two-niner, on the way, over".  "Roger, over"  Then they could here those whistley shrieks overhead, and heard and felt 3 near simultaneous explosions erupt from the hooch that was their target.  "Bravo two-niner, Foxtrot six-seven, splash, I say again splash.  Target destroyed.  Over"  "Foxtrot six-seven, splash, out." 

"Well, that oughta do it" Hooper said out loud, to no one in particular... 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 03:13:53 AM by CapnJim »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Okay.  Here we go.

The Tale of Two Lieutenants.   

First, a note about the venue for Drums at the Rapids.  It has been held at Fort Meigs, near Perrysburg, Ohio, US for the last several years.  Fort Meigs is the largest reconstructed wood palisade fort in the US (and Canada, I think).  It was the site of 2 War of 1812 sieges.  The con is held in the Visitors' Center.  A perfect venue for a wargame con. 

Anyway, the first shot below are the table placard I used to identify my game at the con, and the second is the table layout.  The other 6 shots were taken during game one (I ran 2 games).  Same rules and scenario, 2 different games.  As you'll see here shortly...

Game 1

LT Walsh had just gotten back from getting his OpOrd from the Old Man.  He gathered SFC Hooper and his squad leaders to go over the mission.  It was to move in on the small hamlet of Dak Po, clear it of any PAVN or VC, search for supplies, and close any tunnels they come across.  He had done missions like this several times, and knew what to do.   

"OK.  We'll chopper in to an LZ a bit north of Dak Po, and move in on foot.  Sgt. Hooper, you take 2nd squad and the mortar FO, and move in along the trail from the northeast, and I'll take 1st Squad, Doc, and our Kit Carson Scout and move in from the northwest.  I've given each squad an M60 team.  We'll attack simultaneously, and clear the place as we go.  Any questions?"

"LT, how aggressive do you want us to be?", asked SFC Hooper.  "C'mon, Hooper. you know the drill.  Get going and get in and take care of business." replied Walsh.  "Yes, sir" came Hooper's tepid reply.

Once they were on the ground at the LZ, they split up per the plan.  As they approached the Village, LT Walsh kept his men moving, heading straight for the hamlet.  But, He realized Hooper was taking his time getting into position.  Walsh turned to his RTO "Get Hooper on the horn.  Tell him to get the f*** off that trail, and get into position at the east edge of the hamlet."   "Roger that sir"  "Red 5, Red 6, over"...

"LT!" Sgt Maxwell from 1st squad yelled.  I think we got a tunnel entrance here.  Walsh replied "Good.  Shut it down".  So, Maxwell and one of his privates did.  Dumped a couple grenades and sprayed down the hole with M16 fire.

It was then that they started taking fire from the hamlet.  He could hear that Hooper's men were under fire, too.  His men got into position near the edge of the jungle, and returned fire.  He only hoped Hooper was doing the same.

Then he heard that tell-tale "thump", and then the explosion among some of the men in 1st Squad that was with him.  "Jesus!  They got a thumper?  Shit." thought Walsh.  That hooch must be where the enemy commander is, he guessed.  "COVER!" he yelled.  His men went to ground, but he could see that 2 were wounded.  Worse, he got a glimpse of men (and mules?) moving through the jungle straight at him.  "Contact right!' Walsh yelled. 

"LT, the FO's calling for Mortar fire on that hooch.  Should be inbound a 2 or 3 mikes."  "Thanks", Walsh said.  But he had other things to worry about.  He just had another man go down.  But, on the bright side, it looked like his men were giving better than they got.  All of a sudden, he could see several of the enemy, pack mules in tow, not 20 yards away, moving right toward them.  He could see 1st squad's M60 gunner level his pig, and let loose a burst dropping one of the enemy a few yards from him.  And another made it to that M60 gunner, trying to stab him with his bayonet.  The M60 gunner dodged it, and used the M60 to butt-stroke that enemy soldier, dropping him like a sack of bricks.  Shouldn't have tried to hand-to-hand with the biggest guy in the squad...

Then, those mortar rounds hit.  3 of them.  Right dead on the hooch the M79 was firing from.  That hooch was no more.  Between the US mortar fire, and the failed attack on his 1st Squad, Walsh could see that the enemy was slinking away, retreating south of Dak Po. 

And that was it.  Lt. Walsh and his men had won the day.  The PAVN had conceded defeat.  He had 2 men dead, and one wounded to show for it.  And he would have to have another chat with SFC Hooper.  Way to cautious...at least the mortar FO had his shit together over on that end...     

• Scatterbrained Genius
Very atmospheric report  :-*

Those mules get everywhere  lol

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Very atmospheric report  :-*

Those mules get everywhere  lol

Thanks, Paul.  Those mules do get around.  They've been to Vietnam, the Wild West, and to our fantasy RPG world...

And, here is the other game AAR...

Game 2

SFC Hooper could see his new LT coming back from the Old Man's OpOrder briefing, a befuddled look on his face.  "What's the word, LT?"  LT Walsh responded "We have to do a search and destroy mission on some little hamlet.  Just us, and then we won't have 3rd squad to start out with.  They're the company reserve.  I'm not sure what to do."  "Okay, sir, I'll go grab the squad leaders, and we'll figure it out."

After a bit of confused "Why don't we do this", and "Why don't we do that?",  Hooper chimed in "Sir, we're getting choppered in north of this little shithole.  How about if you take 1st squad, and come at it from the northwest, and I'll take 2nd Squad and Barnes and his radio and come in from the northeast.  We can hit them at the same time."  "Okay" said Walsh.  "But we gotta shut down any tunnel entrances we see, too.  I don't know what to look for".  "Roger. But I do" Hooper replied.  "Then you take the Kit Carson Scout.  He'll know what to look for".  And, thus, they had their plan.

Once on the ground, they split up according to their plan.  LT Walsh and 1st Squad approached from the northwest, and SFC Hooper and 2nd Squad came at Dak Po from the northeast.  Just as they were approaching Dak Po, the platoon got word that the Company 1st Sergeant had been killed by a sniper.  Word spread, and the guys were pissed now, and ready for a fight.  Everybody liked Top.  Those NVA better watch out.

Abd then, just as they started taking fire from the hamlet, the LT froze.  Hooper could hear him on the company net talking to the Old Man, and Walsh wasn't getting it.  He ordered everyone to hold tight.  "Damn it" Hooper thought.  And just as the LT got his shit together and they started moving again, he saw some of the guys in 2nd squad passing a joint around.  "GOD DAMN IT!  Put that thing out!" he ordered.

Then, Hooper almost tripped in a hole.  "Well, what do we have here? A tunnel?"  He turned to the 2nd Squad leader, who was nearby "Sgt. Baker, take care of this" he said pointing to the hole he had almost stepped in.  A couple grenades and some M16 fire, and that was that.

But it was too late to do anything about it the dope.  The guys were still pissed, but now a bit high.  The fire coming from the hamlet was slackening off just a bit, but now Hooper could hear a lot of fire in the jungle at the east end of the hamlet.  He got a SitRep from LT's RTO, and the LT had frozen again.  But 1st Squad's Sgt Maxwell was on the ball, and dealing with the NVA trying to flank them.   

Then the good news.  Barnes (the mortar FO) told him that the Old Man told the LT a SF team was in the AO, and here to help.  "No shit.  Well, that oughta help, for sure." was Hooper's reply.  And then there they were.  Hooper could see fire coming from the jungle at the north edge of the hamlet.   It was our guys, and it had to be the SF guys.  Nobody from 1st platoon was up there.  Then, Hooper saw them cross the trail, dump grenades into the hooch at their end of the village, and assault it like they knew what they were doing. 

"Barnes, get me mortars in the center of that damn village!  Now!"  "Okay.  bravo two-niner, this is foxtrot six-seven. over"  "Shit" Barnes said.  "They ain't answering".  Barnes said "Keep trying."

Then it got quiet.  The fire, from both directions, quieted down.  They must be bugging out, he though to himself.

And that was that.  Game 2 was over, another US win, and with only 1 US casualty (who the medic successfully treated).  But 2 very different games.

In the first game, due to the playing style of the US players, the LT was aggressive, and the Platoon Sergeant was, shall we say, overly cautious.  In the 2nd game, due to both US players' playing styles and the Random Event Chart, it was the other way around.  And, the US mortars were very effective in Game 1, while they were a non-starter in game 2.

Also, in the first game, the Random Event Chart was relatively benign, while in the 2nd game, it affected the US side, both good and bad.

Last, in game 1, the NVA player playing the squad with the mules was much more aggressive, getting within 1 turn's move from getting the mules off the board.  But, instead of focusing on his mission, he got sidetracked and tried to go into hand-to-hand with the M60 team (who was on overwatch!).  The NVA casualties caused by that attempt forced a morale check, which they promptly failed.  In the 2nd game, the NVA player playing the squad with the mules held up as soon as they came under fire, and never really got going.

There you have it.  Hope you enjoyed these AARs.  Comments and critiques welcome...

• Scatterbrained Genius
Brilliant reports with great character  :-*