Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:06:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

I would consider myself a “guest player”. I focus purely on my favorite miniatures and game with terrain belonging to my gaming friends.
1 (1.1%)
I would consider myself a “host player”. I have terrain and miniatures I use for world building.
83 (93.3%)
I consider myself neither and will further explain in the comments below.
5 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: Owning gaming terrain and how it may affect how you game.  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Owning gaming terrain and how it may affect how you game.
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2021, 03:39:36 AM »
I voted "Host" but I haven't hosted a game at my place for a decade. The reason I voted Host is that I usually contribute (either or both) minis and terrain for games though the game is played at someone else's house.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2021, 04:46:12 AM »
I voted "Host" but I haven't hosted a game at my place for a decade. The reason I voted Host is that I usually contribute (either or both) minis and terrain for games though the game is played at someone else's house.

Then you correctly voted as per the poll’s intent mate.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2021, 11:34:11 AM »
Voted "Host". Though I've never hosted a game, if a setting gets my attention, I try to collect enough miniatures to be able to play it with someone else. My girlfriend and most of my friends have a friendly stance to board-games, and they've sometimes expressed interest in miniatures.

Also, they gifted me a 3d-printer for my birthday last year, thanks to which my terrain collection has vastly improved.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2021, 11:43:15 AM »
"Host" - although most of the time it does not often happen in my house, I bring my terrain elements and troops to the places where the games are planned (games festivals or other people's houses).

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2021, 12:53:14 PM »
“Host” - I hold games in my basement, at our local gaming store and at HMGS East conventions, so provide both sides and terrain.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »
Definitely a "host" player. At least twice I have had friends get me into games/genres they were already into, in the sure and happy knowledge that I'm incapable of NOT making scenery for games!

Happened with Infinity, and it's currently happening (slowly, because pandemic) with 1/1200 coastal WW2 boats...

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 06:35:05 PM »
I'm a Solo gamer with limited space so I tend to try and fill a 2X2 with plenty of difficult terrain and LOS blocking pieces to slow the pace down

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 10:17:14 PM »
I voted Host but I usually only contribute figures and terrain when needed.  I have a lot of painted figures and boxes of good terrain but so also do the guys I game with.  There is not a great deal of crossover in our interests so my figures rarely see the tabletop.  I really enjoy the aesthetic of a realistic looking gaming table which perhaps dates back to staring in wonder through department store windows at Xmas time, wargaming conventions or looking at model railway layouts.  These days I'm definitely a guest when it comes to running a game.  Pre-Covid it was rare for my gaming buddies to stick to any ruleset for longer than a month and I don't grasp rules concepts very well.  I learn by repetition and I've gamed so rarely over the last 15 years that it's just not happening.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Just a few orcs

• Assistant
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 10:18:24 PM »
I am fortunate to be able to take over the dining room (often for weeks at a time)  put up a large table (8' x 5') at home. I have  a lot of terrain for a number of periods that interest me.  Two of my friends who I game with regularly also have the ability to host.  The other friend while he is not able to host has quite a bit of terrain  and figures he will bring round or take to club to play a game. He will affectively host the game using a table at the venue he is at.

Not all of us are fortunate to be able to have the space, money or time to assemble and put together a wargames table of nice terrain.  So I do not think any stigma should be attached to those that can't.

I do feel that players should be encouraged put together their on armies/warbands to play with, once they are certain this is a hobby they want to be involved with. THis can add enjoyment for the other players as it give variety of opponent/period.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:40:41 PM by Just a few orcs »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2021, 10:48:40 PM »
I am fortunate to be able to take over the dining room (often for weeks at a time)  put up a large table (8' x 5') at home. I have  a lot of terrain for a number of periods that interest me.  Two of my friends who I game with regularly also have the ability to host.  The other friend while he is not able to host has quite a bit of terrain  and figures he will bring round or take to club to play a game. He will affectively host the game using a table at the venue he is at.

Not all of us are fortunate to be able to have the space, money or time to assemble and put together a wargames table of nice terrain.  So I do not think any stigma should be attached to those that can't.

I do feel that players should be encouraged put together their on armies/warbands to play with, once they are certain this is a hobby they want to be involved with. THis can add enjoyment for the other players as it give variety of opponent/period.

Exactly… not every player can afford the time, space and money to put together a table of nice terrain. So why not as a hobby community encourage players to get some basic terrain with their favorite army?  This way various players could come together with their armies and their terrain to play together.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2021, 09:14:18 AM »
Since (war)gaming for me has been largely limited to games with one regular opponent for many years (yes; well before this whole COVID thing), I think we have this guest/host thing pretty much down to a 50/50 situation; sometimes we play at his house, other times at mine.

So in that respect, I'm both in equal measure :D

However; my mate has more terrain available (although I'm rapidly catching up on him), and I have a dedicated games room, with permanent table. So I guess that too balances out.

However, since hosting requires more effort and investment, and we both do that, I've lumped myself in with the host crowd...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!