Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:20:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686621
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LAST CALL for BSC2021. Closed for entries by midnight today! List of entries!  (Read 3540 times)

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
I've still not had an e-mail from Hammers to confirm
that I am in. I have re-checked Spam folder too.

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
I've still not had an e-mail from Hammers to confirm
that I am in. I have re-checked Spam folder too.
Your name is on the list at the beginning of this thread so i wouldn’t worry too much

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Hey!

I think that you chaps deserve at least a status update. Yesterday I made sure all entries were accounting for, today I have made sure the file names are uniformly formatted and named (something I should have asked you all to do yourself). All contestants have been entered in an Excel-sheet and assigned a random number.

I am, however now at a bot of an inpass as I am not sure how to group y'all. I'd like to do knockout-rounds like last year but 21 (more than last year, very cool!)  is an odd number and should I group you in threes, will just move the problem till next round which would be the odd 7 left to battle our the second round...

So I think we'll have to do things a bit differently this year. Last year, when we 4 knockout rounds voters showed declining interest as the competition dragged on over 4 weeks. I think I'll put your entries in three groups of 5 and one group of 6 and let the one winner from each group proceed to knock out rounds for the next two rounds. That means the voting will take place over a total of three weeks till we get one winner. This is not 100% fair to the group which will have 6 contestants but I assure you that this unfairness will be radom (like much in life).

I leave this there for you to peruse till tomorrow. Feel free to comment!

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Hello, Hammers,

Your plan sounds good to me!  As far as I'm concerned, I'm already a winner as this contest encouraged me to build the terrain piece in the first place, and the encouragement from the LAF community kept me motivated to finish it.  So now I have the terrain to use in a game, just in time for pandemic restrictions to be lifted!
 Whether I'm placed in a pool of 5 or 6 is hardly the point.

However, I will repeat the question I put on the 'Announcing..." thread:
"I stopped updating my build thread after I started painting.  However, I did a fair amount of building after the painting started.  After Hammers posts the photos of the contest entries, can I update my build thread to describe and show photos of aspects of the build that I did after painting started?"

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
@hammers - this being my first BSC and not wanting to overstep but i just spent over an hour with my kid trying all kinds of alternative brackets and think that 3 groups of 7 in the first round could work.  The key to this scheme is that the final round would be 3 participants in a kind of “medal” round for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place finish (like olympics).  Think racing heats not knock-out brackets.  Heat 1 = 3 groups of 7 with the top 4 from each group advancing. Heat 2 = would be 3 groups of 4 with the top 1 advancing to the “medal” heat for 1st,2nd,3rd finish.  It’s still 3 rounds of voting with 12 making it past the first stage.
Just something to consider.  This was fun exercise.  I will gladly accept whatever your decision may be.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
I too am just happy to be in the competition. Thanks to Hammers
who calmed my 'Am I in or am I not in?' jitters.
I thought pistolpete's idea was a good one, but
I don't mind whatever is decided.
Just soooooooo happy.  :D :D :D

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
I'm ok with either suggestion. Hammers'  option is the more traditional, while pistolpete's is more in line with the current European Football Championships, and I find there's something to say for both options, though I'm slightly leaning towards pistolpete's idea.

But others might have stronger opinions, of course  ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 05:54:44 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Go with what ever is easiest for you to sort out,  Peder.
But hurry up the suspense is killing me lol lol lol
We appreciate all the work you are putting in to this,if there is anything I can do to help, this year or in the future just let me know

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
@hammers - this being my first BSC and not wanting to overstep but i just spent over an hour with my kid trying all kinds of alternative brackets and think that 3 groups of 7 in the first round could work.  The key to this scheme is that the final round would be 3 participants in a kind of “medal” round for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place finish (like olympics).  Think racing heats not knock-out brackets.  Heat 1 = 3 groups of 7 with the top 4 from each group advancing. Heat 2 = would be 3 groups of 4 with the top 1 advancing to the “medal” heat for 1st,2nd,3rd finish.  It’s still 3 rounds of voting with 12 making it past the first stage.

This has some nice symmetry to it.

I think that if we're doing just 3 rounds, it narrows too fast if we're going for a 2 competitor final or especially 4 competitor semifinals. Very few entries will be show twice, which is a bit of a shame. We can handle (and want to see) more than that per round.

A few possible configurations starting from three initial groups of 7 entries each:

• Take four most voted of each. Get 12 entries on the second round. Then run "1 out of 3" and "1 out of 4" in either order. (I might prefer the final between 3 entries to get a nice podium.)
  • Take three most voted of each. Get 9 entries on the second round. Then run "1 out of 3" and "1 out of 3". At least in here you can do a nice shuffle so that no same entries meet each other again on round two.
  • Take two most voted of each. Get 6 entries on the second round. Then run "1 out of 3" and "1 out of 2" in either order. Could lead to a traditional two-entry final.

But anything goes. I just want to see the entries. I've already had to replace the refresh button on my keyboard once. lol

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain

100% this  :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
This:

Hello, Hammers,

Your plan sounds good to me!  As far as I'm concerned, I'm already a winner as this contest encouraged me to build the terrain piece in the first place, and the encouragement from the LAF community kept me motivated to finish it. 

So anything goes  :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
We appreciate all the work you are putting in to this,if there is anything I can do to help, this year or in the future just let me know

OK, in that case I declare myself the winner and dump all y'all's picture in then bin.  ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
OK, in that case I declare myself the winner and dump all y'all's picture in then bin.  ;)

Congratulations...a worthy winner  ;) :D