Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - Officer painted 15/1  (Read 33122 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Not playing games this year seems to have made my gamer ADD (not a real diagnosis) worse. I don't know how many projects I've started, but sure, let's go ahead and start up one more.

Sludge is a post-apoc black powder fantasy game (I decided to post here as I already have several threads in the fantasy forum) that was just published. I like the look of it, and I think it is fantastical enough to get me to paint some napoleonic miniatures for once.

I decided to take a theme from my Frostgrave warbands and move it forward in time, adding black powder and grime, but still keeping the aesthetic of brass and gold and orange, with some stark white warpaint here and there. This is my test model, a foot knight with musket. The idea is that he will get another three friends to form a small skirmishing unit for my battalion.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 02:56:09 PM by Ogrob »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 12:54:48 AM »
Looks like your off to a good start to me
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 12:41:42 PM »
Thank you!

After grabbing the rules (looks like they were not meant to be available just yet, but I got lucky I guess) and making a first army list I ordered some more plastics to get me started. Things arrived yesterday and I spent the evening building. I've managed to build about half of what I need for my starting force and I think I will try to get these painted before I build more.

So here is where we are at so far:

This unit of Line Infantry will eventually be based in trios on 50mm bases. Bodies are from Victrix austrian landwehr, with heads from Perry Ansar. Some bits and pieces on the command from Wargames Atlantic's Afghans as well.

These Light Cavalry will also get rebased, on 40mm rounds. Perry Austrian hussars with heads from Perry's Zulus and a Frosgrave tribal. I feel like the feather headdress really suits the hussar bodies.

My army general, I see her as a member of the Malakal royal family. A Perry agincourt knight with Frostgrave wizard head, and sabre from the aforementioned Austrian Hussars. She will get based together with a banner on a 50mm round base.

Joining my test figure are these three Foot Knights with muskets. Perry foot knight bodies, both Agincourt and War of the Roses. Afghan msúskets from WGA and some Frostgrave an Oathmark heads.

And a second skirmishing unit, 4 Jägers with muskets. These are Frostgrave cultists with arms and heads from the WGA Afghans.

What do you think?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal - kitbashing an army 23/6
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 05:05:25 PM »
Really interesting kit combinations, looks like a great project.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 06:48:20 PM »
These look really interesting - great imagination to mix the different kits together - especially as they are from different eras.

Is Sludge the name of the rule set?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 07:03:15 PM »
These look really interesting - great imagination to mix the different kits together - especially as they are from different eras.

Is Sludge the name of the rule set?

Yes, though apparently it is not released yet. It will be published in the next edition of Blaster, which accidentaly went on sale last week and then got taken down again. Here's a game preview from the author.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 07:59:56 PM »
Thanks for the link - sounds a very interesting setting.

The use of larger bases is interesting, as it could work with my existing 10mm figures.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 08:24:30 PM »
Being a huge fan of Relicblade I'm very interested in Sludge, I read some early drafts on the Discord and it looks really interesting. I even started building some models, but ill probably wait to get hold of my copy of Blaster 3 to go back to it.

I love your combination of kits, it creates a really interesting aesthetic that absolutely works. I look forward to seeing them painted up!

Are you going to make some gore tokens?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:51:03 PM by Sir_Theo »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
Probably yes, but I have not decided exactly how yet. In an ideal world I could make something that I could also use as Disordered-markers for Oathmark.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 12:35:04 PM »
Well, I've done a bit of painting. The advantage of summer holidays, one can just keep going.

Still waiting on bases, but I did have a singe 50mm round Renedra base in the box so I was able to base up a first trio of Line Infantry. Have to say I really love how these look.

Skirmishing units are based on 25mm round, and those I have plenty of after six years of collecting Frostgrave plastics. I painted these Foot Knights at the same time. Seems like I forgot the war paint though, might go back and add that to the other three.

What do you think?

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal - some painted infantry 24/6
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 05:05:50 PM »
I like them!

Great work

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 04:40:06 PM »
Thank you! I have finished the first unit of Line Infantry, really happy with these.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 03:24:24 AM »
Great Afro-Indian look.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 06:04:43 AM »
Great work mate! The kitbashing is inspirational… I can see that working for my Tarnished Splendor project.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 08:06:28 AM »
Really nice, the colour choice really works with the overall look. Brilliant.