Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:25:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mexican Wrestler figs anywhere?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Tubehead

• Student
Mexican Wrestler figs anywhere?
« on: June 23, 2021, 10:13:10 AM »

Looking for some metal masked luchador figs suitable for 1960's El Santo, Blue Demon, and Mil Mascaras to square off against my collection of vampires, wolf men, mummies, etc. etc.
I can't seem to find any anywhere...   :(
There were once some Golgo Island ones at East Riding Miniatures but they have closed.
Looking preferably for 32mm size, but I'll take what I can get!
Many thanks if anyone can point me toward something suitable or mention a shop where Golgo Island figs are currently being sold.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Mexican Wrestler figs anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 10:35:54 AM »

Offline Tubehead

• Student
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »
Reaper do one

Oho! I thought I'd seen all the Reaper figs!  :o I did not know about that one! Gracias!  :)

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 12:00:11 PM »
This one is resin, rather than metal, but its a lovely figure and paints up wonderfully:

https://ttcombat.com/collections/rumbleslam/products/henchilada

TTCombat also do some Halfling Luchadors if you want something a little more comedy...

Offline Tubehead

• Student
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 12:21:14 PM »
Thanks, I had seen those but I'm an old fogey, and every time I have bought a resin miniature I have felt very disappointed. Probably because so much 1980's nostalgia is bound up in the feeling of the weighty metal ones for me.
Also, resin figs fare rather poorly when the cat nicks them from the games table and nibbles them.  ;)
Thanks for trying to help though.  :)

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 12:31:45 PM »
No worries, as a child of the 70s myself I can understand the hefty pull of lead based nostalgia.  lol

I'm afraid I haven't seen any other luchadors out there, but does someone not make a sprue of separate heads in balaclavas or something that might be easy to make conversions with? Just thinking of the photo you posted of the mask and regular clothes combos.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 12:45:22 PM »
Thanks, I had seen those but I'm an old fogey, and every time I have bought a resin miniature I have felt very disappointed. Probably because so much 1980's nostalgia is bound up in the feeling of the weighty metal ones for me.
Also, resin figs fare rather poorly when the cat nicks them from the games table and nibbles them.  ;)
Thanks for trying to help though.  :)

Probably not too healthy for kitty either.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Tubehead

• Student
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 02:36:40 PM »
Probably not too healthy for kitty either.

Good point that.  :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 06:06:15 AM by Tubehead »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 08:41:33 PM »
TTCombat also do some Halfling Luchadors if you want something a little more comedy...

Actually, little people masked luchadores feature prominently in the Blue Demon movies.  I have a couple of them on DVD — no subtitles or dubbing and my Spanish is pretty rusty, but I can follow about 20% of the dialogue.  I've never quite been able to figure out why the baddie with all the red shirt short luchadores has been kidnapping the beauty queen girlfriends of our hero luchadores; but that doesn't detract at all from my enjoyment of the movies!

Offline Tubehead

• Student
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 10:12:50 AM »

Actually, little people masked luchadores feature prominently in the Blue Demon movies.  I have a couple of them on DVD — no subtitles or dubbing and my Spanish is pretty rusty, but I can follow about 20% of the dialogue.  I've never quite been able to figure out why the baddie with all the red shirt short luchadores has been kidnapping the beauty queen girlfriends of our hero luchadores; but that doesn't detract at all from my enjoyment of the movies!

That film was Los Campeones Justcieros; the beauty queens are the respective goddaughters of each of the featured wrestlers. The mad scientist el Mano Negra plans to put them into suspended animation and program their brains as they sleep to create manchurian candidate killers he can use to topple governments, etc. etc.
The midget luchadores are given super strength first through an machine which imbues them with an electrical charge (which is later found to wear off) and later by wearing a special bracelet. The mad scientist claims that he chose midgets because they have "the resentment necessary to want to dominate all of humanity" (but the subtext is that he chose midgets because it is painfully obvious that they are the only people who will fit into the teeny-tiny super-science machine which powers them up...)
Interestingly, a Japanese friend of mine pointed out that the midgets' superhero costumes appear to have been directly inspired by the "supermonkee" costumes glimpsed in the opening credits of the old The Monkees tv show, complete with the giant "M" which presumably in this case stands for "Midgets" or "Mano Negra".

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »
Admittedly not metal and a bit expensive, but nevertheless some iconic Luchaderos by Mantic for their Hellboy boardgame

I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Tubehead

• Student
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »
Admittedly not metal and a bit expensive, but nevertheless some iconic Luchaderos by Mantic for their Hellboy boardgame

Yes, thanks for the post. A lot of sculptors seem to think luchadors are all ubiquitously overweight, don't they? I don't think I've ever seen even a photo of a real luchador who was an endomorph. They are really all mesomorphic.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 06:23:03 PM »
That film was Los Campeones Justcieros; the beauty queens are the respective goddaughters of each of the featured wrestlers. The mad scientist el Mano Negra plans to put them into suspended animation and program their brains as they sleep to create manchurian candidate killers he can use to topple governments, etc. etc.
Interestingly, a Japanese friend of mine pointed out that the midgets' superhero costumes appear to have been directly inspired by the "supermonkee" costumes glimpsed in the opening credits of the old The Monkees tv show, complete with the giant "M" which presumably in this case stands for "Midgets" or "Mano Negra".

It's been quite awhile since I've watched that one, or the others on hand.  I've got several Luchadoes Enmascarados DVDs with 2-3 films on each, plus a WWO Lucha Libre set covering 8 events and 25 luchas.  Definitely time to dust them off and give them another watch.

My guess was that the 'M' stood for Malvado which would fit for the red shirt wrestlers.  Midget/Dwarf would be Enano in Spanish.  Mano Negra is a good guess too.

The Monkees connection could just be coïncidence, since red shirts are such an established trope in wrestling.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 06:25:10 PM by Cat »

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 09:51:27 PM »
Yes, thanks for the post. A lot of sculptors seem to think luchadors are all ubiquitously overweight, don't they? I don't think I've ever seen even a photo of a real luchador who was an endomorph. They are really all mesomorphic.

In this case the sculptor closely followed Richard Corbens comic art, who did indeed draw them as chubby hard-drinking vampire killers.

Offline Tubehead

• Student
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 05:39:28 AM »
In this case the sculptor closely followed Richard Corbens comic art, who did indeed draw them as chubby hard-drinking vampire killers.

Thanks, I'm familiar with the Hellboy stuff, humor oriented figs, and all the resin ones out there but again folks, I'm looking for metal figs suitable for El Santo, Blue Demon, and Mil Mascaras.
It looks like OOP Golgo Island range had some metal figs referred to as "Thor Pasadenas", which are evidently based on Blue Demon and Santo's early costumes.

It also looks like Badger Games have a couple of figs, but they are very cursory sculpts. https://shop.badgergames.com/category.sc?categoryId=134
I guess I was hoping to be pointed toward something more detailed than any of these known metal examples. One of the key things that define luchadors is the design of raised appliques stitched on around the eyes and mouth. All these metal figs are lacking in such details. Maybe I'll just have to sculpt some myself.