Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:14:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690649
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Right Proper British Horror! (Project logo added)  (Read 9851 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
A Right Proper British Horror! (Project logo added)
« on: July 02, 2021, 05:40:40 AM »
Over the past few months I’ve been working on a new project I’ve dubbed “British Horror” using Tin Shed’s excellent sculpts from 1st Corps Follies and Homefront ranges, and filling in gaps with stuff from Sally 4th’s Movie range. I wasn’t really interested in doing a VBCW project with his figures, but I wanted to do SOMETHING, so I decided to do a horror/pulp/adventure theme set in Britain just before the war breaks out. There’s even some Cthulhu elements mixed in with the horror for good measure.  I’m having a blast painting the stuff and collecting terrain elements to use through the course of the project for various locales. So far I have plans to set stuff in a fictitious British village and surrounding forest area as well as some excursions outside of the country to the Back of Beyond and Egypt during the time period. Most of the focus will remain in country though. Tin Shed’s excellent “refugees” fleeing war will sub nicely for village inhabitants fleeing “the local problem”.

So far, I’ve been lucky to find some great figures that size up well and work with Tin Shed’s stuff and embody the same sort of look/character, like the Ghouls from Crocodile Games (which will be Moor Beasts); Deep Ones from Crucible Crush;  Old metal Ghouls from Citadel, as well as some 80’s sculpts from Citadels Night Horrors and Gothic Horror range; Timber Wolves from Old Glory, and Kev Adams “Evil Cultists” sculpts from Dragon Bait/Dark Fable. All of these have that sort of cartoony feel I’ve come to love in many figure ranges.

I’m hoping keep building on this thread as I get stuff accomplished, and as the writing of the backstory and ideas develop. I’ll be using the homebrew skirmish rules I’ve developed and probably using Fistful Of Lead from time to time. I’ve titled the supplement for my own rules after Ray Bradbury’s “Something Wicked This Way Comes” (but not after the terrible movie of the same name).

So without further adieu, the first 4 adventurers painted (Montague Dean, George Cromwell, Penny Renfield and "Red Head" Danny Glasgow), posed in front of some crate piles. I tried a new paint recipe for older wood and am quite pleased with it. Crate piles are from Scotia-Grendal and are classics.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 11:27:00 PM by Bravo Six »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 07:38:47 AM »
Nice! They look excellent  :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 07:57:28 AM »
Thanks Guy! Much appreciated!  :D

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
Great idea. I really like the sound of this. Lovely painting too.   :-*

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 08:48:51 AM »
Nice one! Those guys are looking good. Fictional British villages are great. I should know, because I live in one. Personally I'd like to see an Egyptian mummy running rampant across the cricket pitch in the middle of a game, but whatever horrors you have in mind will be cool.

I'm not familiar with the Bradbury book or of the film you mention. I'm so old school that when I see that phrase, I'm thinking of the original quote from Macbeth. Though I wasn't actually around when that was written.

Looking forward to whatever you have in store for us next, Todd.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 08:59:39 AM »
Looking good!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 03:53:47 PM »
Yeah, well done.   I'll have to check those ranges out.  Movie related stuff is one of my interests.
For former content of mine, search my former user ID kalebdaark:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4831

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 05:09:01 PM »
Thanks gents!

Fictional British villages are great. I should know, because I live in one.
  lol

The original idea was to name the main village Chamberwick Green as a nod to the kids show Camberwick Green. I may still do that. The dark forest area was going to be named Grendalsham Forest as a nod to Rendelsham, but then I decided to name it Faversham Forest after our very own Harry. I let him know and he responded "Fame at last"  lol

Personally I'd like to see an Egyptian mummy running rampant across the cricket pitch in the middle of a game, but whatever horrors you have in mind will be cool

Hey, you never know. Despite the ominous subject matter, some humor is a must!

Offline LordBrentlake

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 08:30:53 PM »
I guess that a prequel could be Agatha Christie’s “By the Pricking of my Thumbs”.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 11:48:55 PM »
Sounds like a neat idea.  Somehow fictional American cities don’t have the same ring to them.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 12:10:25 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with too.
Seeing what your doing reminded me of this . Totally forgot I made it when were talking.
Which is odd since it's one of the monster's I use form Ealing themed games.
It's at Bifrost miniatures. It comes with a human and giant rat in cocoons , and eggs. Plus a set of giant rat's or least it did when I had to replace mine from the website( third one .lost one ,and gifted the second.without knowing I'd lost the first . lol)
I think it was £18 for the set which is quite a chunk of metal.
To the point this one's got four coats of varnish and still needs a matt coat adding. As it kept chipping the undercoat every time I knocked it over whilst painting.

( I thought you might find it useful for scale if I used a figure you own.)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 12:19:31 AM »
Thanks Mark! From the man himself!  :D

Totally forgot I made it when were talking.
Which is odd since it's one of the monster's I use form Ealing themed games.
It's at Bifrost miniatures. It comes with a human and giant rat in cocoons , and eggs

You know..... I was revisiting your Workbench thread the other day and saw those and almost asked what happened to them. They're PERFECT! And now I know where to get them.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 12:56:50 AM »
Just the kind of game that I like!!  :o :-* :o  I will definitely follow your progress. You should be very happy with your painting on Mark's First Corps Follies minis. They are excellent and the painting brings out the personality of the sculpts. I have painted up the lady myself but your painting is better. The only thing that puzzles me is that yours is a blonde. Perhaps she is Japanese, as they are more likely to dye their hair blonde  lol
Here is my lady.
Lon

Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 01:30:07 AM »
Thanks so much Lon! I think your painting is something to be proud of too my good man!

As for the lady, she totally struck me as a white chick, so I painted her as such. Not sure if Mark had intended her to be, or she was supposed to be part of the Chinese horde from the Follies range, but hey.... she'll do. You'll also notice I went with a solid green on the Scotsman's kilt. In my defence, I really tried tartan and failed miserably. So I'll add tartan to cammo as things I just can't paint.

Love the bamboo by the way, and the stacks-of-sacks! Are those from Crocodile Games? ???

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 04:51:01 AM by Bravo Six »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 05:46:54 AM »
Thanks. I belive the sacks are Reaper, in bones not metal. I got them off eBay. They are very affordable.