Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:08:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686579
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Building accessories  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Building accessories
« on: July 30, 2021, 12:40:43 PM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for accessories to give a VSF/Steampunk feel to buildings, especially rooftops? Pref UK based.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Building accessories
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 04:20:09 PM »
Oshiro Model Terrain have various VSF bits and pieces in their range which may help.

https://oshiromodels.wixsite.com/oshiromodelswebshop/vsf
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 05:06:07 PM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 09:52:06 AM »
I am sure hornby had some VSF buildings, you just stick gear wheels on the roof to give that steampunk look :D
And try not too laugh too much when you see them :o :o :o

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 10:10:26 AM »
Search “cogs” on eBay and you will be able to pick up a wide selection dirt cheap.

Or as Colin mentioned, buy the Hornby VSF cogs and receive a fraction of the product for a hefty multiple of the price  ;)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 11:50:52 AM »
Not keen personally on the whole "just stick cogs on it" theme of VSF, but lots of Victorian Gothic features look appropriate anyway. Small railings on the roof, random turrets and towers (even in town centres) - and if they are square probably with railings on the top (look at the Adams Family house), possibly lightning conductors (easy to do but not very visual, unless you connect the bottom end to an exotic carriage charging device), exotic wind gauges might be a possible, or small semaphore/shutter signalling installations. I think Warbases did some of those for Napoleonic players. Window shutters might be an easy call, would look slightly exotic on UK walls.
Otherwise possibly go for odd shaped windows (Dr Strange house?). Quite a few MDF cutters have window frames on their catalogues. (Warbases also do them to order, I got some "Chinese" style ones for boxer/colonial buildings)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 05:01:26 PM »
Stick cogs on it????  :o This was a serious question.

shadowbeast Fenris is a brillant suggestion, thanks very much! I don't know how I'd missed them before.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 10:34:52 AM »
Stick cogs on it????  :o This was a serious question.

shadowbeast Fenris is a brillant suggestion, thanks very much! I don't know how I'd missed them before.
Sorry but that was not a serious answer, smile, this is VSF after all lol lol lol

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 02:03:44 PM »
Large advertising posters/billboards/wall painting (frescoes? not sure what the Victorians called the stuff that they painted on gable ends etc. the famous one in York was an advert for "Bile Beans" near Monk Bar)

For hoardings, it's worth looking at eg MDF movement trays. Paint the lip black or white and glue your posters in place then either glue/blu-tack/fix with magnets the hoarding to your wall. That way you can change the posters easily to change settings

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 01:27:40 AM »
Some of my nicest stuff has come from Fenris. Although not UK based you may be able to find a UK retailer for Micro Art Studio stuff: link.. I have some of their warehouse piles and they are great little pieces.