Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:45:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Airbrush Gun and Accessories *Help*  (Read 4329 times)

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
Airbrush Gun and Accessories *Help*
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:27:57 AM »
Hi all,

After ruining at this point what seems like countless miniatures during the priming process with spray cans (a 'dusty' finish- and strands of globby paint all over the mini) I am moving towards air brushing them from now on. I know it might have to do with the weather and humidity, the color, and quality(brand) of the spray primer, but it seems whichever I seem to try works for a while, and then without failure it ends up ruining a streak of miniatures (mostly plastic, where the paint does not wash off/texture-smoothness of mold is compromised). This has become quite frustrating, and to put it casually, "I don't know about you guys?- but this hobby can be very, VERY frustrating!"

First of is airbrushing a suitable, or at the very least a usable form of priming miniatures? I hope so as I have already have bought an air compressor, a Windstorm http://www.amazon.com/Copic-Marker-Air-Compressor/dp/B001HX5YV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325639539&sr=8-1, but was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for a particular gun that would be appropriate not (at this stage in my interest or skill level) to do detailing with, but prime evenly indoors, base coating miniatures. 

I would also ask on the side if Vallejo Airbrush paint, this selection for example http://www.thewarstore.com/VallejoModelAirColors.html, would work as a primer- a base coat, to help the successive layers of paint to stick and add that needed depth(filler). None of these Vallejo airbrush paints specifically say "primer" or mention base coating, so a simple confirmation or yes or no of its ability to perform in this circumstance and if in the case of the latter a redirection to more suitable airbrush paint for priming (that will bond with Vallejo colors [i understand reaper and Vallejo might have some issues there?]) would be greeted with mirth and appreciation.

And one last flavor question, that others may find helpful, and I sure would like to know from others personal experience:  Do you base coat in Black, White, or Grey? I am trying to move away from black, consequently to white, but have always been intrigued when I see fellow LAFers use a grey primer. A brief synopsis of philosophy here?

and a preemptive thanks! hope everyone had a great run at the holidays.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Airbrush Gun and Accessories *Help*
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:15:16 AM »
I'm no expert, but thanks to the advice of a friend (and who's wife is a professional airbrusher) I got myself a Richpen Apollo 113C.
gravity feed with a 0.3mm nozzle. I've only used to to paint some surfaces and to base coat some vehicles and figures. Works well.

On the subject of primer : it is specificly created and can't be compared to standard paint. So primer and basecoat aren't the same.
Airbrush primers excist. Forementioned friend uses them sometimes but only for plastics and not for metal figs. For the latter he still uses spraycans.

As for primer color. I've used all three colors. started with white, moved on to black (after which I gave my figures a white drybrush) and now grey. I'm guessing it depends mainly on the end color of the figure. If you want a dark figure with lots of black, priming black might help. Not so helpful if you want white or vibrant colors. In the end it's mainly personal taste I guess.

My 2cts.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:22:04 AM »
I like the Vallejo Air colors (which I purchased from the Warstore) but I have never used them as a primer coat.  I am not the most experienced with my airbrush but this line doesn't seem like it would grab that well as the first coat.  It would also seem like an expensive option.  You could try a Createx or Golden Airbrush airbrush paint but I have never seen a primer in those lines.  I prime with a can or paint on Gesso but I have never tried that through an airbrush.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:35:04 AM »
A quick search of LAF turned up a few thread discussing airbrushing gesso. Certainly seems like a reasonable choice for a relatively cheap airbrush primer.
Look at this thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=26112.30

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:03:34 AM »
Vallejo does an airbrush-ready primer as well though:

It can't compare to the sturdiness of a proper spraycan primer, but it's better than any of the other alternatives I've tried. It's available in a small selection of neutral colours. Maelstrom stocks it.

As for what actual airbrush you should get, your primary objective is to find one that's as easy as possible to clean. Since you already have a nice compressor incoming, all other concerns are minor compared to this. You want to make it an easy decicion to pick up the airbrush and spray whatever needs to be sprayed, and not worry about spending insane amounts of time disassembing and scrubbing it once it clogs, or you're finished for the night.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
Yep, that Vallejo Primer is nice, it paints on very smoothly and is pretty robust too. Plus it don't stink half as bad as sprays. AND you can brush it on with a paint brush as well, just don't thin it too much.

I have a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution brand airbrush, it's a solid piece of machinery. Easy to clean and to change nozzles (different sizes fit one model), doesn't cost too much, and even more important, the accessories and spare parts dont cost a mint. I have an older Iwata model as well, and don't like it nearly as much, plus the spare parts are very expensive here locally.

Oh, and what ever paints you choose, just forget about using Vallejo Model Colour with your airbrush. They dry out in the airbrush very quickly and clog your gun. Vallejo Model AIR works good, and even Vallejo Game Colour works ok.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:02:48 AM by Verderer »

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:02:31 AM »
Oh, and what ever paints you choose, just forget about using Vallejo Model Colour with your airbrush. They dry out in the airbrush very quickly and clog your gun. Vallejo Model AIR works good, and even Vallejo Game Colour works ok.
True, found that out the hard way.

Vallejo Model AIR works good, and even Vallejo Game Colour works ok.
Model Air works like a charm. Haven't tried Game Colours though. When the need arises I'll try it out.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:03:07 AM »
I never noticed the Vallejo primers at theWarstore as they are in with the Vallejo Mediums.  The 200ml size is a bit more expensive than gesso but you don't have to mix it to use in your airbrush.  I will have to try that out.

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
I just primed a lot of mini's and some terrain last night with my airbrush so it's certainly suitable.

I can't comment on the Vallejo paints because I use the Tamiya paints for my airbrushing.  I generally use black as my primer, although if I have a model on which I'm going to use a lot of bright colors then I'll consider grey.

For the airbrush, I highly recommend the Iwata Revolution CR.  Pretty affordable and easy to use.  It's double action and gravity feed.  The cup comes with a lid too.

Offline Evil Bob

• Bookworm
    • Evil Bob's Miniature Painting
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
I've been able to spray Vallejo Model Color through the airbrush. Use WATER for a thinner and mix it pretty thin: 50:50 or even thinner. Do NOT use alcohol to thin Vallejo Model Color. It will cause the paint to goop up.

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »
Ive used a paint extender when shooting Vallejo, works well.

http://www.liquitex.com/slowdriblendingmedium/

Offline generulpoleaxe

• Librarian
    • Myrmidon Studio
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
Just remember that a cpmpressor has a duty cycle, that little one you have bought will be good for 20 minutes non stop use, after that you will be looking at letting it rest for 20-30 minutes (you can push it longer but it reduces the life span of the thing.)

This is why people who spray a lot for long periods have big tanks (the compressor works only to fill the tank and then to top it up.)

Just remember this incase you decide to start spraying large batches of models at the same time, it will kill your compressor.

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 06:50:41 AM »
THANK you for all the advice. I will do my best to make all of it work. I just hate to see those comments: "Still using a spray can..." It's what I was raised on, I just always seem to get the worst results.

Going to picking up the airbrush gun this week if all goes as planned, will post here my experiments with it.

once again, LAF is the final word.

Offline generulpoleaxe

• Librarian
    • Myrmidon Studio
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
THANK you for all the advice. I will do my best to make all of it work. I just hate to see those comments: "Still using a spray can..." It's what I was raised on, I just always seem to get the worst results.

Going to picking up the airbrush gun this week if all goes as planned, will post here my experiments with it.

once again, LAF is the final word.

Treat it like a firearm, it needs to be clean and oiled to function properly, treat it badly and it won't deliver the results you require.

If it starts spitting it may need cleaning (sign of paint build up on needle.)
Check the needle tip for paint build up (dry tip) this happens more so with acrylics because of the large pigment grain.
Before starting strip it down and put it back together a few times, familiarize yourself with the process and it will become far quicker as it becomes second nature.

A bad workman blames his tools, because he refuses to acknowledge that he did not maintain his tools.

I have a brief tutorial on my blog that may help you (I clean more often than needed but because of this I don't have the problems that I used to when I just followed the normal periodic flush in between colours.)

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »
Treat it like a firearm, it needs to be clean and oiled to function properly, treat it badly and it won't deliver the results you require.

If it starts spitting it may need cleaning (sign of paint build up on needle.)
Check the needle tip for paint build up (dry tip) this happens more so with acrylics because of the large pigment grain.
Before starting strip it down and put it back together a few times, familiarize yourself with the process and it will become far quicker as it becomes second nature.

A bad workman blames his tools, because he refuses to acknowledge that he did not maintain his tools.

I have a brief tutorial on my blog that may help you (I clean more often than needed but because of this I don't have the problems that I used to when I just followed the normal periodic flush in between colours.)

SIR, YES SIR. ;)

(link to blog??)