Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:35:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Preparing Christmas list...Airbrush question  (Read 3353 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Preparing Christmas list...Airbrush question
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:52:30 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently thinking of my Christmas list  lol This year, I'm particularly concerned about upgrading some of my tools, or discover new ones.

I'd like to buy an airbrush. I'd like a all purpose tool : big monsters/vehicles and scenery painting, 28mm minis detailling. As a beginner, I'd like a cheap, easy to maintain, with available spare parts, but also a quality tool. I was thinking about the IWATA Neo gravity feed :

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products-type/neo-cn/

What do you think of it ? Any other (same price limit) idea ?

Concerning the compressor. It's where I want to save money, at least to start. For the purposes I'm planning, are the cheap tankless models we see on amazon or ebay good enough ?  Or should I go for a cheap tank airbrush compressor (I saw some with 3liter tank, for around 120euros). What are the specs I have to keep in mind, when buying the compressor ?

Concerning supplies : I readed that some people are using Artists high grade acrylic tubes, that they thin down with diferent products (alcohol, distilled water if I remember correctly). THis way, they obtain a high pigmented quality airbrush paint, reducing the costs a lot. I'm interested by the price, and availability (here in my aera, no modelling stores, but a few craft/arts supplies stores).

Concerning airbrush booth : are they really usefull ? What do I risk, health wise, to use an airbrush with water based paint without this item ?

Can I replace it with a lowered kitchen hood (I'm planning, next year, to build a dedicated modelling workshop room in my house) ?

Thank you for you help.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Preparing Christmas list...Airbrush question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »
That airbrush looks fine. I have an Aztek which I got because the different nozzles are separate and easy to clean.
http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/aztek-wooden-airbrush-set-with-case/?gclid=CPSqn5nhpboCFc_ItAodzgsALA
Buying a compressor without a tank is a waste of money. Buying one without an on/off switch so you have to use the plug switch is also a pain as I learned early on but not as bad as buying one without a tank :)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:09:49 PM »
That's a perfect starting airbrush. I have an Iwata HP-B+, and it's an excellent tool.

Gravity fed, dual action, and nozzle that's right, perfect. All the things I would want in a starting brush.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »
I will buy this one, then. If anyone have other ideas, for this price range, I'll be happy to listen  ;)

A question : I heard that gravity feed is the best, why ? And does the gravity feed good for scenery purpose or big monsters ? Like base coating ? Do we base coat with an airbrush, by the way ?

Concerning the compressor, so I have to find one with automatic switch, and tank. 3L capacity is good enough ?

What do you think of this :

http://www.amazon.fr/Mini-Compresseur-a%C3%A9rographe-Mod%C3%A8le-AS186-r%C3%A9servoir/dp/B0036T0ZR0/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1382304538&sr=8-32&keywords=airbrush+compressor

or this one (dual cylinder) :

http://www.amazon.fr/Compresseur-bicylindre-A%C3%A9rographe-r%C3%A9servoir-interrupteur/dp/B0036SZ80U/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1HGRE909K6WTV

What is the dual cylinder for ?

thanks ;)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:01 AM »
That first one looks fine. Two cylinders should improve the stability of the airflow further but a single cylinder is perfectly good for painting models.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 12:06:53 AM »
I dreamed of having an airbrush throughout my gaming youth, I drooled over well painted WW2 stuff with airbrushed camo, then when I got one I found the instructions far too daunting - dilute this, clean that etc so it never got used.  I ended up selling it many years later and all I'd done was open the box and read the instructions.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 03:50:21 AM »

http://www.amazon.fr/Mini-Compresseur-a%C3%A9rographe-Mod%C3%A8le-AS186-r%C3%A9servoir/dp/B0036T0ZR0/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1382304538&sr=8-32&keywords=airbrush+compressor

I have one of those I got on eBay for $87 Australian which is only 60 something euro, so you may want to see what's available there.

As to the unit itself, I have had no problems so far and while I have only used it for priming and practice, it has not been found wanting.

On the airbrush, I have had the chance to play with an old DeVilbiss, a Chinese Iwata style knock-off and a Harder & Steinbeck. Of the three I find the H & S was easier to maintain than the others because it doesn't need a spanner to remove the nozzle assembly and the shape of the 'trough' where the paint flows from the cup to the needle makes it easier to clean. The H & S just feel like they have had that little more thought put into them, for example, with acrylic paint (and Vallejo primer) you often need to clean dried paint off he needle tip, on most airbrushes this means taking part of the nozzle off and running the danger damaging the tip, whereas on the H & S I have, the protector design allows me to wipe the paint off while still protecting the tip.

http://www.harder-airbrush.eu/fineart/

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson

"There is a pleasure sure In being mad which none but madmen know."

~John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, 1681

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:07:15 AM »
I had an Iwata, and had had it since the 1980's, but it bought the farm a few years back :'(

I don't do enough precise airbrushing to justify replacing it like for like, so I have two cheapies, one a spray gun forbig areas, and an Iwata-esque knockoff.

I used to use the Iwata for aircraft and tank modelling, and it dealt with everything from ultra-narrow lines to blocking in wings etc. If you can afford it and will make use of it, I would recommend an Iwata without hesitation.

My compressor is a 2HP jobbie with a 50l tank. It does service for airbrushing, inflating tyres, running nail guns/cut-off tools/sandblasting etc. Mine came from Axminster, but most tool outlets do their own. It's fairly big, and very noisy, so not really a tool for inside the house lol

I have a filter/drier/oil trap attached to the spray booth, so just at the point where I plug the airbrush in. This gets round the problem of cleaning the air.

HTH,

Mitch
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »
Thank you for your help. It's what I like on LAF, people really willing to help, answering precisely, and not "flaming" you because you dare asking some questions about tools prices and all  :)

I have one of those I got on eBay for $87 Australian which is only 60 something euro, so you may want to see what's available there.

You find one with 3L tank for 60euros ?   :o

Concerning airbrush use for large aeras (like primer on scenery or big monsters/vehicles) do you think that the IWATA airbrush will fit this job, or should I add some (cheap) siphon fed dual action airbrush (or even a pistol maybe) ?

thanks !

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:18:02 PM »

Concerning airbrush use for large aeras (like primer on scenery or big monsters/vehicles) do you think that the IWATA airbrush will fit this job, or should I add some (cheap) siphon fed dual action airbrush (or even a pistol maybe) ?

thanks !

I primed and painted loads of  1/72nd scale aircraft and 1/35th scale tanks with my Iwata, no problems at all. So for vehicles, I'd say you will be fine, big monsters probably fine (unless they're bigger than a 1/35th scale Tiger I lol).

For terrain, it will take you a long time, especially if you are thinking of doing big (say 60x30cm) bits. Also, if you decide to use cheap paints for terrain work instead of expensive modelling acrylics, a fine nozzle airbrush like an Iwata isn't very forgiving! I use a spray gun for this sort of work. You can pick one up for about £15 in the UK, so they aren't exactly an over expensive addition. What you can do in these situations is use the spray gun to prime and do the blocking in, then use the airbrush for detail work. I've seen it done and it's a lovely effect if you can pull it off - totally different to drybrushing.

HTH,

Mitch

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »
Thank you ! I'll go for a spare spray gun too, so.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »
I have an Iwata airbrush and I@m very pleased with it. I bought it from www.airbrushes.com who provided me with good telephone advice when I called to check which model was best for me.

I've got a 'cleaning station'  https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=1934&osCsid=743b56fb4388f52a52ecac9e3318463d which is very useful for keeping the brush ready to use and also acts as a stand when I'm using the airbrush.  I typically flush the brush through with water and then again with cleaner; I seldom take it apart to clean.

I'd also second Matakishi's comment on compressors, don't bother with a tankless one.

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »
Have a look at this site, is a useful compilation of advices and reviews
https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home

I would suggest you to include a breathing mask on that list, when I was at art school the airbursh teacher got a liver ill because of airbrush inks toxic vapors  :o
Acrylic paints are less toxic but your lugs will appreciate it anyway

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
thank you for the link !

EDIT :

If you have any advises on a good entry level (less than 100euros, if possible less than 70euros), please tell me  :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:40:37 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 06:44:22 PM »
Hi,

A question about the airbrush hose : what lenght do you suggest ? Any materil prefered (I see that some tubes are plastic, vynil, braided) ?

Last question (for now  lol) what do you think of this kind of compressors, with embedded mini tank (in this case, 0.2L) ?

http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=1658

thanks. I decided to go for a "Neo For Iwata" airbrush (for the spare parts available), but still thinking about the compressor choice. For now, I'm thinking of a 100euros 3L tank model, but if I can save some money...

thanks