Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:02:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Courage and Perseverance (My Bolt Action forces for the Italian theatre)  (Read 2756 times)

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
Re: Courage and Perseverance (My Bolt Action forces for the Italian theatre)
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2021, 08:53:38 AM »
I've been very busy with work, so not much painting. There a few bits semi done, but finally got three Sikhs done.
My Blog, Mentioned in Dispatches:
http://wargamesdispatches.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline parttimegamer

• Assistant
    • For the love of terrain!
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2021, 06:16:54 PM »
Really great to see some Sikhs painted up.

I put together a whole Sikh army for Iron Cross a few years ago, but have only managed to get them out onto the gaming table a few times since; one of those times was just a couple of weeks ago, which was the first time in a very long time!

I've been introducing a friend of mine to Iron Cross, so we played a game set in North Africa: DAK vs Sikhs. More photos and an after-action report for anyone who is interested: https://fortheloveofterrain.blogspot.com/2021/10/iron-cross-after-action-report.html
------------------
My interests are predominantly WWII, played in 28mm, and custom terrain-making.
Check out my blog at https://fortheloveofterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2021, 05:38:28 PM »
That's an amazing looking set up, parttimegamer!

This project has been on the back burner for a while but I played through the tutorial game of BA on friday night and so brought it back to the front of the queue.

I've drawn up a simple 500pt list for my Sikhs and I aim to get this painted up over the next few weeks. My troops will mainly be Warlord commonwealth with Gripping Beast Sikh heads, though I have ordered a couple of packs of Artizan Sikhs.
Jeep, Morris truck and howitzer are on their way from Paint and Glue Miniatures.

One thing I'm struggling with my research is how much variety there would be in terms of ethnicity mixed on the field. It seems the regiments were drawn from a particular area and so would have been pretty homogenous, I believe they deliberately tried to cultivate a regimental identity. The photos I have seen, while showing a broad range of head gear, are consistent with in each picture.

But by the time the 8th army had got to central Italy I wonder how much the uniformity remained? For purely visual sake it would be interesting to have a hindu driver, or soldiers in field caps. Any information on this would be grateflly received. As would any suggestions for reading material.   

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2021, 06:05:27 PM »
That was a very interesting battle report.  It's a good example of how difficult it is to attack a fortified position across relatively open ground.  As a US Army officer, we were taught that it took at least a 3 to 1 attacker-to-defender advantage to have have any chance at success...your game demonstrated that quite well (unfortunately for you... :o). 

Nicely done game and report, in any event...nice figs, vehicles, and terrain, as well!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2021, 10:25:44 PM »
So the other day with my wife and some friends we made a little hike (about 4 hours) in the upper Tiber valley - not far from where we live, to see the foliage, and it turns out that the plateau where we ate lunch had been the site of a major battle according to our hiking guide. This piqued my interest and it turns out that there was indeed a major fight between Indians (and Gurkhas) and the Germans - and that in the area there was also a major partisan activity. I stumbled across this great site, it's all in Italian but I hope you can enjoy it as much as I have. Here are stories about the battles in the area and some photos: http://www.storiatifernate.it/pubblicazioni.php?cat=50&subcat=154 and if you click on "mappa interattiva - alta valle del Tevere 1943-44" there is a link to an interactive map showing all the major activities in the area
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline parttimegamer

• Assistant
    • For the love of terrain!
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 12:32:46 PM »
@malto cortese - what a great find that web site was. Anyone who is interested in the Italian campaign should read it...some great reports of various battles and lots of photos that I hadn't seen before.

@tp_1983 - I am no expert, but my understanding is that each grouping (battalion level?) were from different ethnic groups, so you did not have Sikhs and Punjabis, for example, in the same "group".

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2021, 12:57:23 PM »
@malto cortese, that site is fantastic! that's going to give lots of inspiration.

@parttimegamer that's what it looks like from what I have researched. Oh well, just Sikhs it is then.

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 01:30:20 PM »
@malto cortese, that site is fantastic! that's going to give lots of inspiration.

Glad to be of help!!  :) :) I am now trying to get a copy of the book this guy wrote

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 04:57:25 PM »
One think I am still slightly confused on is what books I need to build my Italian theatre Sikhs.

I am starting with a 500pt force, built out of the British list from the rulebook, but with the special rules for the Indian Army applied.

I've ordered the new Italian campaign book but am unsure what this will add to my Sikhs.

I would also like to build a tournament legal army in the future and don't really know how that works.

Any and all advice gratefully received.