Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:00:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord's Project Z is back (and on pre-order)  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Warlord's Project Z is back (and on pre-order)
« on: October 02, 2021, 06:51:50 PM »
I wonder if they have proof read this version.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Warlord's Project Z is back (and on pre-order)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 06:59:17 PM »
Warlord pre-order page: https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/project-z
The survivors are £20 a sprue, both sprues of zombies are  £20 a pair and the spec ops are £22.50 a sprue.
No mention of the associated weapons sprues.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 07:01:13 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 07:04:19 PM »
I'll wait a year and see if it goes the same way as the last version.
It was almost embarrassing watch them fall over themselves to off load dead stock at York a couple of years ago. My son started out trying buying the core set at half price then was repeatedly offered box set after box set every time he said yes they offered another (different sets) at a reduced price until he was paying £4 a box set.
So I'm in no hurry to pick another version for him. Since the first felt like they'd been written by a dyslexic drunk under a strobe light.

Offline miros

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 09:40:51 PM »
The sprues are fairly useful but those prices are more than I would pay.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 09:50:31 PM »

This site; http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Said This re-release has an extremely limited print-run, and will not be made available again when sold out. Is it for both the rules and the figures or just the rules  :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 10:29:58 PM »
Since the first felt like they'd been written by a dyslexic drunk under a strobe light.
That is unfair - to drunks.
Is it for both the rules and the figures or just the rules  :?
I suspect they are treating both as a limited run. After being seriously bitten (see Tin Shed Gamer's comments) by the debacle of the first edition (the game  released allegedly as a spoiler against a more famous franchise), I suspect they are not going to be ordering too many sprues moulded.

I have the original male and female survivors and the female zombies so I am not short on them (but also see my previous comments on their poor reusability due to the idiosyncratic posing). I might get the Zombie box for the male zombies.

Does anyone know the origin and scale of the HMMWV?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:39:06 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 11:01:28 PM »
It may have been a little over dramatic lol .But understandable once you take into the additional rule in the set's.
Im must confess that I was expecting more . In the way interchangeable parts. I was quite disappointed for my son at the time.
Part of joy of multi part set's is your ability to tweak them, with no previous experience.They actually put him off multi part plastics.

In all honesty I've no idea what your referring to .

It's like trying to mentally decode date in the end credits of a BBC drama before they flick off the screen.When your trying to convince yourself your not 2/3rds of the way through a bottle of red on your own and the Mrs must of helped.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 11:34:15 AM »
Those are very expensive. I have the original boxes from Wargames Factory, which had three figure sprues and a separate guns sprue for pretty much the price of one box of these. Looking at the picture, they don't show the gun sprue, so I'm guessing it's just the figures :(

I suspect most of the extra cost comes from the cards. Fine if you want to play the game, but useless if you decide to play with other rules

I have the original male and female survivors and the female zombies so I am not short on them (but also see my previous comments on their poor reusability due to the idiosyncratic posing). I might get the Zombie box for the male zombies.

The zombie horde looks like one sprue of males and one of females. The females are okay, but the original males are really poor. You'd be better off getting something like the Studio Miniatures plastic zombies. I have loads of their metal zombies, which are really nice, but a bit more expensive

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »
Does anyone know the origin and scale of the HMMWV?

I had (and have since sold) one - 99% sure it's the old Force of Arms HMMWV as they own the FOA range. It seemed like a solid 1/56th from memory
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 10:30:49 PM »
The females are okay, but the original males are really poor.
Yes, the original male zombies were a bit ropey. I have two packs of them.

The "new" male zombies were evidently designed by Wargames Factory, but did not get released by them - they did turn up in the original Project-Z box.

TWD, Crooked Dice and Project-Z male zombie.

I have two of the Studio Miniatures bargain buckets of plastic zombies.

Comparison

TWD, Studio Miniatures, Crooked Dice, Warlord/Wargames Factory, TWD and TWD.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:33:45 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 10:42:17 PM »
Considering how many times I type sprue (which is a perfectly valid English word) and the plural, autocorrect randomly selects another word - in this case "spies" - which makes the sentence make no sense.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 11:18:29 PM »
I’m thinking the biker gang as has three bikes in it for Gaslands at 1:43.

Offline commanderkaiser

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 08:13:49 AM »
Pretty sure I’ve still got old boxes of the male survivors, female survivors, and some zombies. I was always a fan when they were the older boxes you got a decent amount for the money and with basically one box of survivors and one zombie you could pretty play any skirmish game you wanted.

I love that the the game has come back even if it’s only for a short while, I don’t like the prices though and I’d hesitate to get into the game knowing full well that once it’s gone from the store that’s it.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 11:34:45 AM »
I think the sprues were good value for money back in the day. This new iteration however seems expensive. I would like to see Wargames Atlantic do their own versions of these sprues at the WA price point instead. Had I known Warlord Games was going this route I would have suggested zombies and survivors during the WA model suggestion competition. Back then I fully expected Warlord Games to eventually just make these sprues available at a decent price.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 01:34:50 PM »
A long time ago, it seems, I bought Project-Z in a Black Friday sale and some of the boxes of figures as the grandchildren were interested in zombie games.  The figures were reasonable and easy to convert though the poses were somewhat limited without some serious surgery. 

In summary the rules (unless they have been significantly rewritten) are difficult to understand and probably best discarded or modified.  We did and now use our modified Akulas Rules for our Dedburgh games (many AARs on LAF).  The figures were good value when they first came out (Wargames Factory), not bad value when re-released as Project-Z last time.  This time they are expensive unless you need the cards.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis