Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:01:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686611
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 756
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Miniatures The Mahdi and Osman Digna  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
Perry Miniatures The Mahdi and Osman Digna
« on: October 19, 2021, 01:56:54 PM »
Hi All

A question for anyone who has purchased / experience of this set:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/sa1-the-mahdi-mounted-on-a-camel-attended-by-two-followers-plus-osman-digna-mounted-on-a-horse/

I am wondering if the Osman Digna figure would fit astride the Mahdi’s camel.

Cheers
JJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Perry Miniatures The Mahdi and Osman Digna
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 02:02:44 PM »
Hi All

A question for anyone who has purchased / experience of this set:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/sa1-the-mahdi-mounted-on-a-camel-attended-by-two-followers-plus-osman-digna-mounted-on-a-horse/

I am wondering if the Osman Digna figure would fit astride the Mahdi’s camel.

Cheers
JJ

I'm probably not going to be much help (apologies) but from the Perry Mounted infantry conversions I put together from British Camel Corps I really had to do some serious filing to get them to fit on the horses. There was however, surprisingly little putty work to be done once the filing had been completed- I just thickened out the puttees that that was it.

It might be possible to do the same sort of job for Osman Digna though (from memory) his saddle/clothing sits quite flat on the model.

My Conversions below:

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 03:40:49 PM »
I’m afraid he won’t Atheling.  The Mahdi is cast with the camel, they are not separable without major surgery.

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 04:06:28 PM »
Thanks @Atheling and @2010sunburst

Inseparable, huh? That’s that then.

@Atheling I remember your conversion (TMP, and on your blog). Impressive. I’m rather hoping that PM will release a set of equine mounted infantry for their Sudan range.

Cheers
JJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 04:35:12 PM »
Thanks @Atheling and @2010sunburst

Inseparable, huh? That’s that then.

@Atheling I remember your conversion (TMP, and on your blog). Impressive. I’m rather hoping that PM will release a set of equine mounted infantry for their Sudan range.

Cheers
JJ

I’m afraid he won’t Atheling.  The Mahdi is cast with the camel, they are not separable without major surgery.

Ah rats! I forgot about that. I think you have to attach the Beja Camel's to their respective riders so maybe try with that JJ?

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 08:46:02 PM »
I considered a conversion of one of the camel mounted fellows, but they’re not quite distinctive enough (I am just finishing a band of 12, with a couple of minor conversions).

I’m only just nearing the completion of my first rub, so I’m not quite ready for Osman’s presence, so I have time to give it some more thought.

Cheers
JJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 07:11:33 AM »
I considered a conversion of one of the camel mounted fellows, but they’re not quite distinctive enough (I am just finishing a band of 12, with a couple of minor conversions).

I’m only just nearing the completion of my first rub, so I’m not quite ready for Osman’s presence, so I have time to give it some more thought.

Cheers
JJ

JJ, I wasn't suggesting that you use one of the Camel guys, but rather, remove the Beja on the Camel then carefully file Osman Digna to fit. It will take some doing and he will be sitting astride the Camel and not on the top like the Beja seen have have done but I think it's a feasible conversion, it will just take a little work.

As I say, I haven't got the luxury of having the miniatures in front of me at the mo' but it might even be possible to transpose Osman Digna's body onto the legs of one of the Beja Camel Riders- though this really would be a complicated conversion.

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 09:02:24 PM »
Ah! I see.

This is the image that gave me the idea to model Digna mounted on a camel:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/illustration/osman-digna-leading-mahdist-army-against-royalty-free-illustration/1091794596

Cheers
JJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 09:29:48 AM »
Ah! I see.

This is the image that gave me the idea to model Digna mounted on a camel:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/illustration/osman-digna-leading-mahdist-army-against-royalty-free-illustration/1091794596

Cheers
JJ

If you look at the image, Osman Dinga is sitting with both legs to one side on the camel as opposed with both legs astride on either side of the camel.

Thus my suggestion to try to use Osman Dinga's body on one of the Beja Mounted on Camels.

It will be a tricky conversion for sure as Osman Dinga is sitting fairly erect on his horse. I think it's very much worth a shot as the rewards would be great!

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 08:15:34 PM »

I’m rather hoping that PM will release a set of equine mounted infantry for their Sudan range.

I've been hoping they would for years, but when they released the mounted infantry for the Zulu War I asked if the same was likely to appear for the Mahdists and they said no.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 08:17:09 PM by Volleyfire! »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 08:22:18 PM »

I've been hoping they would for years, but when they released the mounted infantry for the Zulu War I asked if the same was likely to appear for the Mahdists and they said no.

Seriously, give it a shot. It's not difficult. Just patience and planning.

Lots of quite subtle filing but minimal putty (puttee - I'mm get me coat) work. Than add paint and and this:

Turns into these:

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 10:36:41 AM »
Seriously, give it a shot. It's not difficult. Just patience and planning.

Lots of quite subtle filing but minimal putty (puttee - I'mm get me coat) work. Than add paint and and this:

Turns into these:

Sorry but I just don't have the time. I've numerous other projects that need finishing and my Mahdists and their foes number many hundreds already so there's no immediate rush. It would be a project for when I retire, if that ever happens.  :-[

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 12:29:55 PM »
Sorry but I just don't have the time. I've numerous other projects that need finishing and my Mahdists and their foes number many hundreds already so there's no immediate rush. It would be a project for when I retire, if that ever happens.  :-[

Sorry to hear that. I know what you mean  :)