Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: **Market Research** MDF Bases (and how you go about finding them)  (Read 1267 times)

Offline CJsutherland86

• Student
Hi everyone,
I hope it's ok to ask this sort of question here,

I have a pretty specific question to ask, and that's "if you were wanting to buy MDF bases for your figures, where would you look and what would you search for?"

For example,
you're playing Black Powder and just bought some new metal 28mm French Voltigeurs from Perry Miniatures, but they don't come with bases.
you want some 40mm x 40mm 2mm thick MDF bases for this lovely new unit.

What do you search for?

Do you search:
2mm laser cut 40mm x 40mm mdf bases?
laser cut bases?
40mm square bases?
40mm x 40mm MDF bases?
standy uppy mini helpy thingys, square?

Or something else entirely?

I'm trying to find out what exactly people search for to find MDF bases, I'd like to see what thought process people go through to find these little wooden shapes on the internet!

If you'd be so kind as to please let me know, that would be great.
Also feel free to post up your favourite manufacturer of such mdf goodness if you are so inclined.

Many thanks
Chris

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: **Market Research** MDF Bases (and how you go about finding them)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 01:52:42 PM »
Just contact Warbases.co.uk and tell them what you want. If it doesn't fit their current production, they will do a bespoke order if the quantity is sufficient to warrant production.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 02:04:56 PM »
Yep, just go to Warbases

Offline PeteW

• Scientist
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Pete Wenman Aviation Art

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 02:35:29 PM »
Warbases again

Offline CJsutherland86

• Student
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 02:43:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far everyone,
but i'm not looking for a specific recommendation on where to buy them,

I'm looking to find out what YOU would SEARCH for if you were looking to buy them.

What would you type into your favourite search engine?

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 03:01:20 PM »
I think the point their are making is that they would not bother to internet search, they would just ask Warbases to sort it out!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 03:14:21 PM »
'2mm mdf bases' on Ebay.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 03:24:00 PM »
I would search for bases by size.

I have stopped buying MDF and prefer plywood.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 03:27:21 PM »
As the initial posters say, I know where to get MDF bases, either Pendraken or Warbases.

I wouldn’t google from scratch. I have looked for steel bases in the past and I think I searched for steel bases. I don’t think I bothered searching for the size (area) as that feels the bit that most suppliers do most options. But thickness may have been part of the criteria.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
I think the point their are making is that they would not bother to internet search, they would just ask Warbases to sort it out!

Indeed.

If the market research is with the intention of starting a UK business that sells MDF bases, I’d probably think of another idea, but each to their own  ;)

If there wasn’t a couple of well-known businesses already, when it comes to search criteria, I’d probably search by size/thickness of the bases, but as others have already stated I’d just go to Warbases.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 09:03:14 AM »
Indeed.

If the market research is with the intention of starting a UK business that sells MDF bases, I’d probably think of another idea, but each to their own  ;)

This was my thought process as well. Its s pretty specific question to be asking without explanation .;) :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline CJsutherland86

• Student
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 10:34:11 AM »
Thank you for insight, I tend to let people follow their dreams rather than tell them not to bother without knowing all the facts, but each to their own ;)

This was my thought process as well. Its s pretty specific question to be asking without explanation .;) :)
If you'd like an explanation,

I already run a hobby business which manufactures and sells various hobby products (including MDF bases), and retails others. I do fairly well at what I'm doing.

For all the areas of my store (as I have diversification across the hobby, from gaming accessories, paints, miniatures etc) I track keywords with software and monitor my SERPs closely, everything tracks as expected, my 10 years experience doing SEO professionally sees everything I would expect.
Most keywords are obvious,
Vallejo paints? Well the primary keyword is "Vallejo paints"...

For MDF bases however the keywords are inconsistent, there are many "long tail" keywords, SERPS are volatile and change wildly for seemingly no reason.
it was my intention to simply ask the question what people searched for, as sometimes what you think people are searching for isn't actually what they are when it comes to things that can be variable such as this.
It might have given an insight that I was missing something, for example, everyone might search "laser cut" at the start, or... this might not be even thought about.

I also put this post up publicly  and without mentioning my business name so that anyone (including Warbases, Pendraken, WWS, Bow & Blade Games, Blotz, Arcane Scenery) and all the others that do it could benefit if they saw the post.
This industry is big enough for everyone, and i've always been about collaboration and sharing knowledge & helping out my fellow hobbists where I can.

Thanks

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 10:59:04 AM »

it was my intention to simply ask the question what people searched for, as sometimes what you think people are searching for isn't actually what they are when it comes to things that can be variable such as this.

Thanks

There be logic here.

When I started out in the hobby I was looking for cheap miniatures, so asked my family/friends how they would describe a picture of some wargaming minis, if they found them in the loft and wanted to stick them on ebay.

I was surprised at how broadly a few figures can be described and found some real bargains searching with layman's descriptions.

It makes sense to cover all bases (pun intended) in the search field.

Cheers

Ry
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 11:20:15 AM »
I don’t think Akula was telling you what to do but saying what he would do.

Anyways, I don’t use MDF bases so played the game (as it were) by typing in a search term that I would use if I suddenly found the need….

“Mdf wargaming bases”

Warbases was the first non-ad listing. Then a load of other suppliers, some of whom I also recognised.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)