Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:49:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Adapting Rules from GW to Medieval ?  (Read 2305 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Adapting Rules from GW to Medieval ?
« on: October 26, 2021, 05:04:54 PM »
Hi,

I have been reading about people adapting Games Workshops Lord of the Rings (I have the return of the king version) for use with medieval games. I really do like the system and for the size of games I would be looking at they seem ideal... has anyone done this?

If the answer to the above is yes do you have any tips or pointers that would save me time please?

Normally I would use Hail Caesar or something commercially available but I want small warbands. Having seen Captain Bloods medievals on here I decided to have a go and copy the master. If I can knock together a simple ruleset I will purchase the Perry figures and a project will have been born. 2021 has been a bum year for me gaming wise as work got in the way but my hours have dropped leaving me more time to paint.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Adapting Rules from GW to Medieval ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 05:47:36 PM »
I played a few games using SBG for dark ages  - as in the system basically all human 'regular warriors' use the same stat line I just took that as abase, and upgraded armour/combst ability for the more elite warriors. Seemed to work well enough. (Aragon makes s good Beowulf stat line by the by)

For Return of the King, I suggest just checking what you can reskin the various Gondorians/other humans as and go from there. For further ideas, at one stage they various armybooks, and the Armies of Men (probably called something else) had lots of different sub units that could ser e as the basis. Should be cheap on Ebay
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 07:16:01 PM »
Thanks Dragon, the Aragorn tip is a good one indeed, I already have enough dark age stuff to trial it with and its good to know that others have trod this path and seen some potential with the rules.

Thanks for the advice I will begin in the morning making army lists. If there any samples out there they would be very useful!

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »
I wrote this in 2005. I think it will help you.

https://dokumen.tips/documents/lotr-age-of-trebuchet-supplement.html

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 09:09:26 PM »
Mick in Switzerland, thank you this is the gold I was hoping to find! This really has saved me from hours of fiddling about with a system that I last played with my lad (who is now 30!). I may just give leaders points with the chance to alter certain die rolls and heroic actions to simplify things even further.

Thank you again you are a star Mick.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 10:41:36 PM »
Ad soon as I saw this title I pulled up my link to the Lotr age of trebuchet rules. Only to notice that the creator bod the mod already beat me too it   lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 05:22:51 AM »
You are welcome.  :D

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 06:19:25 AM »
I wrote this in 2005. I think it will help you.

https://dokumen.tips/documents/lotr-age-of-trebuchet-supplement.html

Had no idea you were the author behind these. I've used the LOTR rules for a number of dark age and medieval skirmish games with my nephews as the rules are so easy to learn and your lists have always been my starting point.  :D

Steve

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 03:22:41 PM »
I suppose that for the Return of the King, you could do with Gondorians as Arthurian Brits and Orcs for celts or brits. Its fairly generic, but for a simple conversion I think that would do the trick. Afterall, it's a system used for fantasy based in a mythological setting. You could probably even mix it with the old Age of Arthur book from the Historicals series for army compositions and such.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »
Oh Captain, Warhammer Ancients! What a system that could have evolved into! I was a massive fan and often wonder why it has never been either reprinted or sold onto people who could have worked with it? As i recall plenty of people were playing it at the time.

Work has intervened at the moment but I am still tinkering with LotR variants. It was a shame that I could not get anyone interested in SAGA, I think the dice system actually put them off rather than being a novelty!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 08:07:00 AM »
Oh Captain, Warhammer Ancients! What a system that could have evolved into! I was a massive fan and often wonder why it has never been either reprinted or sold onto people who could have worked with it? As i recall plenty of people were playing it at the time.

Work has intervened at the moment but I am still tinkering with LotR variants. It was a shame that I could not get anyone interested in SAGA, I think the dice system actually put them off rather than being a novelty!

War & Conquest is basically Warhammer Ancients. They change some names and concepts, but it is almost identical.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 11:23:35 AM »
War & Conquest is basically Warhammer Ancients.

Will check that out, thanks for pointing it out. WAB still is my favorite historical set of rules. Started it basically because during WFB 5th I grew bored with the army building, the need to buy army books because otherwise you didn't know what the opponents were fielding, the ever expanding special rules, the magic items/spells combinations gained the upper hand versus point costs rather than tactical manoeuvring and strategic desicions. In other words, WAB prevented me from leaving the hobby altogether ;-).
Leadhead

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 07:52:53 PM »
I have never heard of the War and Conquest set, will have to check them out. I play solo most of the time (if ever now actually) but it is strange as I like to paint and build units for a ruleset. Odd as I would never probably end up playing it.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 12:20:31 AM »

I liked a lot of the Warhammer Historicals in the past.

I'm pretty sure the only reason they were removed was that GW didn't want to sell games that would be, largely, using minis that they didn't make. Same reason why they keep on trimming minis they aren't making while adding others they want to make.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 06:07:19 AM »
SotF I think you are probably right, they were very popular so I imagine would have been a commercial success.... obviously not as much as their other lines though. WaHa pedia (I never go there honest) seem to rip off everything that GW ever print but even they have never done the historical stuff and they are pirates!