Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:35:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Question for Warhammer 40K players  (Read 2542 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Question for Warhammer 40K players
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2021, 11:44:41 PM »
I started with RT when it came out and thoroughly enjoyed it as a smaller skirmish game in a slightly ambiguous setting.  I went into the military and when I got out 3rd ed was on the streets.  They had turned it into a mass combat game without changing the basic mechanics so the mechanics became cumbersome and slowed down game play.  We continued to play for a while until they did another edition change, so at that point I found another game system. 

I would not have gotten back into it but I immigrated and the local club only played 40k.  Did that for a short time then found another club that played other games and never looked back.  I am back into skirmish games now as that is what I always enjoyed. 

My daughters new bo is just getting into 40k.  For him it appears that it is slick marketing, availability and a "community".  He is really into the lore too. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2021, 11:05:10 AM »
For me Gw was rogue trader 40k and dark future back when I was still at school .
Drop ship from a shampoo container and zoid bits ,  :-*It was a fresh new world and completely different from D&D .
Also you had to think about what 80/90s Britain was like back then .

It allowed creativity and individuality . Now lot of the models are to big to goofy
I’ve acquired a few 2nd edition metal snakebite orks and some of the plastic orks still on sprues.
My next purchases will be something to create space scum and pirates /slavers as I fancy creating a planet /world that’s used as a black market , slave trafficking auction depot with side line of gladiator type games ,so can include elder pirates , ork freebooters , chaos and genestealer  cults .

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2021, 12:08:27 PM »
People,
There are certainly better rules out there and I have tried a fair smidgen of them in the past 30+ years i have been gaming. A fair few of which I liked/like but I keep gravitating back towards that old grimdark/Rogue Trader vibe.

Prefered rules versions are in this order: 3rd/5th & RT, no likey 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th ot 9th.
Fluff: RT hands doen all the way.

Maybe I can get some anti-GW patches on the NHS or something? lol

Doing 40K wargaming is better than no gaming at all in my mind. I also play it with alternate activation via coloured counter draw, with all close combat being fought in a single phase together. And I also play it as is.

It`s all toy soldiers, coloured or plain at the end of the day, may as well as enjoy it ;) :)

Glen

I'm broadly in agreement 1st and 3rd are my two favourite versions of 40k though they are very different  in feel. 2nd was the worst edition of 40k which I was very happy to see the back of it just sucked in so many ways.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2021, 08:29:59 PM »
Gotta say, really enjoying the level of "old man yells at cloud" on this thread.  lol

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2021, 09:29:50 PM »
Gotta say, really enjoying the level of "old man yells at cloud" on this thread.  lol

"Yup go rain somewhere else!" ;) lol

Like any Superpower it needs something else to balance it, and GW with 40K is very much the only Superpower (in wargames terms only). Until something comes along to do just that, things will never alter.

We await a worthy successor - still.

Good luck to one and all

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2021, 02:38:50 PM »
I don't play anymore, but I bought (alot) and played (a little) for many years and have no trouble understanding why people continue to play it.

40k an oddly compelling universe (it should be since it stole the best of so many other universes) with great gothic visuals, excellent miniatures and a variety of factions to suit every taste.   

The best things about the game however, are that it is ubiquitous and has staying power.   You  will always be able to find an opponent, tournament and convention that caters to this game.  Further, with few exceptions, and while the rules might nerf a given unit or army, almost everything made for the game is still playable. 

Sure the rules suck and everything is way to $%*@ expensive, but your hard earned money buys you great models, a cool setting, longevity and a massive playerbase. 

That's not enough to lure me back, but I've still got all my painted armies and more and if I could find locals playing Grimdark Future I'd gladly bring them out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 02:41:52 PM by eilif »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2021, 11:17:35 PM »
Now get off my porch! ;)

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2021, 02:48:35 AM »
Honestly, John Blanche's vision of the Grimdark future is why I appreciate it. I don't play 40K, but I occasionally buy some 40K stuff because I just think it's over the top bonkers. The level of craftsmanship is high, almost too high sometimes...so many damn details!

I think the key to success 40K has lies in its market penetration. Everyone who gets interested in miniatures eventually runs across GW. I don't think the same can be said for another other miniatures game ever.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2021, 06:21:50 AM »
I think the key to success 40K has lies in its market penetration. Everyone who gets interested in miniatures eventually runs across GW. I don't think the same can be said for another other miniatures game ever.

Very much this for me.

I was never interested in GW but even at the small games club I attend, excluding one chap, it's very much the only game in town, be it 40k, Sigmar, Kill Team or other spinoffs.

Most of the members haven't even heard of most of the games that are popular on this forum, or if they have they hold no interest to them.

GW allows them to go to one or two websites or shops and get everything they need ready prepared in one place.

I did get a session of Fistful of Lead: Galactic Heroes in and the reaction was pretty much 'Meh' - unlikely that will get played again but I'll try with some of the other rulesets I enjoy.

I've grudgingly got on board to meet the social need of gaming and have started in Killteam; initially thought of 40k at combat patrol level but it really is not my thing. At least Killteam resembles the skirmish games I enjoy, albeit with lots of fiddly additional rules.

I think I'll enjoy the games and do find the models I like to be a pleasure to build and paint.