Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:59:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: EPIC scale Waterloo from Warlord Games  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
Re: EPIC scale Waterloo from Warlord Games
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 03:59:53 PM »
On first look, I don't love the figures. They are much more uniform than the ACW epics, so the effect is a little bit nutcracker-man to my eye.

Still if it helps get more people into historics then that is all to the good.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 04:24:59 PM »
It has some appeal for me, but not enough to part me from my silver. I like the idea of the plastic smaller scale joined in strips, and don't mind the monotony of endless lines of marching infantry in ranks, but I do think it's a nothing scale really - too big to get away with not including the fiddly details, too small to be able to comfortably paint them in. The whole 12mm thing seems to me just another effort to carve a needless niche between existing scales. But hey, if someone else loves 'em, then they love 'em.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 11:59:24 PM »
I find 15mm Napoleonic is enough of a painting challenge so these are not for me.  It is interesting to see them all the same.

Does anyone else remember Hinchcliffe's System 12, a range of 12mm Napoleonic Armies complete with scenics?  I wonder if that was the inspiration for this line?

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2021, 12:44:25 AM »
I started Naps in 15/18mm, switched to 25/28mm - ain't going back.
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2021, 05:04:56 PM »
Does anyone else remember Hinchcliffe's System 12, a range of 12mm Napoleonic Armies complete with scenics?

I do, me & a mate bought an army each at the first show we saw
them at. In Birmingham.  I had Russians, he British. They sat in
boxes for years (& years) then were sold on, still unpainted.
Not, unfortunately, the only project I never completed.

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2021, 06:38:22 PM »
Whilst I like the idea, I'm not convinced.  Waterloo is not a period I have played or collected, Russia 1812 on the other hand, in 15mm well a totally different story!

I have a feeling also that it will just be British, French and Prussians, ignoring the other allies....a shame.

If I want to go small and do Waterloo I would do Pendraken figures in 10mm, great minis and historically accurate

Offline GrahamC

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »
There’s an interesting podcast interviewing John Stallard where he explains the epic rationale and where he hopes to take it in the future. Enlightening. He mentions Austrians and Russians and that they may come in the distant future but remember to make a mould for the plastics costs between £15000 -£25000 and therefore there always has to be a commercial aspect built in and FRENCH and British will always outsell Russians and Austrians.
As to standard scales mentioned -is there any such thing any more? You can buy 2mm,3mm, 5mm,6mm,8mm,10mm, 12mm, 14mm and so on and so on when I had my own figure range they were 1/56th scale  so around 31mm foot to eye. They were still out bulked etc by lots of other 28!mm figures. People will buy what they want. I don’t like Front Rank I can understand why people do but they’re not really an accurate depiction of a human!
In the end this release will either succeed or not Warlord have invested a lot of money into this (11 different sprues) so Mr Stallard must think he’s on to a winner.
I hope it works and despite its limitations I will use them I see a lot of potential

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2021, 07:45:54 PM »
Yes, that was a very interesting interview, with an injection of realism of how much money and effort it takes to put stuff out. I like his frankness in interview, which in this instance shows a commitment to EPIC in other periods, if it sells.

He mentioned 11 plastic sprues for Waterloo compared to just one for ACW, which alone is a measure of how much Warlord Games are putting behind this roll out. I hope it has legs, EPIC ECW would be a great set.

Offline GrahamC

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2021, 08:01:05 PM »
Norm,
It was a refreshing interview. I think it was clear ECW was on John Stallards personal radar as well as a Hail Ceaser set.
I think it was also clear that soaring metal costs will hit the industry as well sooner rather than later.
This set to me has a lot of potential and painting the unit rather than the figure is the way to go.