Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) Frostgrave: Blood Legacy.  (Read 6559 times)

Offline marcnelsonjr

• Assistant
Re: (Commercial) Frostgrave: Blood Legacy.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 10:41:07 PM »
anyone know why the original (husband and wife?) illustrators of the series (and GA) have moved on?
(if I'm correct in thinking this new cover [very good] is by one of the recently used artists).

Not sure why the Burmaks quit doing the FG art. It was a big part of what made the game so great. I think they're still doing art for Magic the Gathering - it's always nice to see one of their cards.

I thought the RU-MOR art for 2E was OK, but fell off a lot in Red King. Too much of the "cosplayers waiting for the bus" look, like those three soldiers in the back of this cover.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 11:31:04 PM »
Finding all ten map stones in GA:

We never got there at least, and we played a lot of Ghost Archipelago pre-Covid. Two or three stones I think at the most.

Three was the most I've seen, although one guy technically had four, one of which was a duplicate for him.  That's the real heart of the problem, if the heritors could agree to trade or sell stones to each other or even just co-operate and pool their stones to make a full map you could have a real "winner" (even if that winner was a coalition) without playing so many games you'd either die first to a bad injury roll or max every stat and activation number on every power - neither of which option is any fun at all.  Instead the more stones you get the less likely the next one will be of any use at all.

And making the "win with a full set" a futile dream makes playing hard for that central treasure with its triple chance of being a stone feel like a dumb idea.  Very much the opposite of RAI, that.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
I fear that sales of Ghost Archipelago just didn't justify continued releases. That said, I've continued to do some work on it.  I've just completed a set of 40 Ulterior Motive cards for it spread across issues of Spellcaster magazine, and have included scenarios in Blaster as well.

As for Map Stones - I admit, I never really wanted people to reach the end of a campaign, unless it went on a really long time.  The fun of a campaign is in the playing, not the winning (at least for me).

The Burmaks worked on Frostgrave for five years, doing all of the artwork.  It was a huge commitment, and they wanted room to spread their artistic wings. I feel lucky to have had them illustrate my work for as long as they did.  That said, I love Ru-Mor as well - I think she brings a slightly darker tone to the Frozen City.

I hope you guys like the new supplement!

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 09:58:24 PM »
I fear that sales of Ghost Archipelago just didn't justify continued releases.

Regrettable, but not wholly surprising.  I wonder how much of that can be traced to the terrain needed.  Urban ruins, arcane apparatus and the like (even winterized ones for Felstad) are pretty common in existing terrain collections but dense jungles and massive overgrown statuary are a bit less widely seen IME.  Tropical foliage and trees are arguably harder to make look good than a frozen cityscape.

As for Map Stones - I admit, I never really wanted people to reach the end of a campaign, unless it went on a really long time.  The fun of a campaign is in the playing, not the winning (at least for me).

Fair enough, but as I said, the +2 bonus for the central treasure is really important for getting stones - but if there's no real chance of winning a "full map set" victory the stones become a booby prize and the central treasure gets a lot less appealing to play for.  The stones are just a little too useless beyond the "big win" potential.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 06:29:31 AM »
I fear that sales of Ghost Archipelago just didn't justify continued releases. That said, I've continued to do some work on it.  I've just completed a set of 40 Ulterior Motive cards for it spread across issues of Spellcaster magazine, and have included scenarios in Blaster as well.

The Burmaks worked on Frostgrave for five years, doing all of the artwork.  It was a huge commitment, and they wanted room to spread their artistic wings. I feel lucky to have had them illustrate my work for as long as they did.  That said, I love Ru-Mor as well - I think she brings a slightly darker tone to the Frozen City.

I hope you guys like the new supplement!

Sorry to hear that mate. I know the financial element plays a big part in what can be produced.

I really appreciate you putting out the Ulterior Motives cards for GA through Spellcaster. It is a fun addition to the game.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 10:45:33 PM »
Has this been released yet? Normally someone (besides me) mentions having received it).

For the first time since the debacle of the FG2 order, I ordered Blood Legacy through my book shop rather than direct from North Star.

@joe5mc: Thanks for letting us know. Also, may I be the 94th reader of your blog to tell you it is Thunderbird 3.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2021, 04:03:37 AM »
Has this been released yet? Normally someone (besides me) mentions having received it).

Officially released on the 9th. Seen a few comments in the FB groups from those that have received it.

I forgot to pre-order mine, so ordered mine online so having to wait.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2021, 11:29:37 AM »

ah, did wonder about the Burmaks - they were brilliant. New artist/s are doing a good job tho'.

shame about GA for all sorts of reasons.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2021, 11:37:10 AM »
Not sure why the Burmaks quit doing the FG art. It was a big part of what made the game so great. I think they're still doing art for Magic the Gathering - it's always nice to see one of their cards.

I thought the RU-MOR art for 2E was OK, but fell off a lot in Red King. Too much of the "cosplayers waiting for the bus" look, like those three soldiers in the back of this cover.

thanks for the reply - which I've only just seen.
Joe has commented further a little lower down the thread from your post.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2021, 10:18:22 PM »
Officially released on the 9th.
Thanks, I got my email notification on Tuesday so I will pick it up on Saturday.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2021, 09:55:13 AM »
We picked up Blood Legacy… my first impressions… it is great!

I really like the trade offs in having a Vampire character and the additional rules for high level wizards are cool.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2021, 12:22:16 PM »
 8) tis way cool!!!! page 37 Jason Momoa as high level wizard!!!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2021, 05:44:34 PM »
First look at some of the new Blood Legacy figure release.

Designed by Matt Bickley, they'll be in metal. Released late January 2022

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2021, 08:24:44 PM »
Looking good!

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2021, 10:54:30 AM »
 8) they look cool!!!